New by keen, from Sanctuary Point NSW

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am nearing 70 and my wife and I had the great intention of using our Navara and caravan to go bush and go prospecting, but end to end medical appointments have frustrated that intention. Will ditch both of those as we bought a Subaru Forester and will only do days runs and go as far into the bush as that vehicle will allow. Would much prefer to be in the caravan but it must be motels and hotels from now on. It is a bugger getting old.

Anyhow, now to fossicking/prospecting. One of my grandfathers, a bit over a century ago, was a Dredge Master in the northern countries in South America and on the Lena River in Siberia. I will have to do my gold hunting much closer to home. I have a coupler of nice little nuggets of his, but I want to find my own.

A coupled of years ago I got my hands on a secondhand Whites MXT with Eclipse 950, Eclipse DD and Eclipse 5.3 coils, for $550. I reckon that I got a pretty fair deal because the vintage unit works well and the coils are unmarked bar one that has a single minor scratch. Unfortunately the one search I did was on a local beach and all that I got was a cigarette packet foil. A frigid gale then blew in and I gave up.

It is time for me to get serious and I have just bought a Whites Bullseye TRX Pinpointer. I have trawled through a fair bit of this forum and gained some good information. I notice that there were some pages on Whites a couple of years ago and perhaps that expertise is still available.

I need to pick brains and would appreciate any advice as to which coil to use where. Much as I would like to pick up big lumps of gold, I will also go relic hunting and walk the beaches. The Whites pages that I read were pretty technical and for the moment I am looking for basic information of where a particular coil is most appropriate and the best settings for the MXT.

Thanks in anticipation.

Aurum No.79

hi AurumNo.79 & welcome to PA
I recently picked up a MXT Pro to 'play with' for a bit, & Im really liking the machine.
Ridge Runner on here is a full book on the Whites units, & is a very obliging person with advice.
Rack up 10 posts & you will then be able to direct message people (a 'message' button will appear under your avatar/detail on the left)

Thank you for the welcome guys.

The title of my post was supposed to be New But Keen, but the bloody spell checker took over.
Until my wife has her knees done, my scope is rather limited and even then I need to convince her of the merits of me fossicking when we travel, probably northern NSW and southern Queensland. I have a son living at Ballandean and apart from being a wine area i believe that it has some good prospecting spots within easy distance.

7.62marksman, don't want to impose on you but if you are interested in teaching a novice at some local venue (If Shoalhaven still has some gold) then I would be glad of your tuition; I live at Sanctuary Point.

Ron

Latest posts