Conditional Approval to Treasure Hunt!

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi All,

Finally got my hand on a metal detector. An Equinox 800. The Minister of War and Finance placed a condition of my investment being that I involve the kids in some of my hunts. This is fair enough!

After trawling the site and seeing some of the tools you guys have built I decided to get involved and build my kids a pick each. I say for my kids but they are really for me!

Anyway I thought I'd throw them up and give you guys a butchers hook.

Cheers

Rob

PS. they didn't look like this for long!

1566711034_img_0187.jpg

1566711034_img_0188.jpg

1566711035_img_0189.jpg

1566711035_img_0193.jpg

Well I started Kato at the age of 2, the next 2 followed just as early, number 4 has been digging since 1 and a half. ALL girls :rolleyes: :lol:

It gets funny looks when we all pile out and start pulling detector after detector out of the car, the youngest at 3yrs now dragging
a plug digging shovel behind her.

Great family hobby.

In case you want to make a cheap tool, but be careful where and when you use it. ;)

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=19869

Greenhornet,

That is a cracking idea! I'll definitely be doing that.

I've been kneeling dowmadn in the dirt with my digging tool getting wet knees! A shovel like that will go well with my little diggers! Yes, e two for my two eldest kids. They aren't very sharp but they could still do some damage...

1566819312_img_0343.jpg

1566819312_img_0344.jpg

Me thinks Westy has some nice workshop machinery and skills to use it.

:)

I found that the plug diggers are best used for a 'Square plug' hole as they key in better when replaced into the ground.

Just take care of where and when they are used.

We have never done it but sprinkler systems are easily damaged by these, and we have never had to push them
more than 6" into the ground, usually only 4" to get a good soil clump around the grass roots.

Maybe you could do a DIY, and post it with templates for those hand tools you made, they look great mate. :100: :Y:

Roger that Greenhornet!

I could post the template for the tools but they have been cut using a CNC plasma cutter and folded in a press so difficult for backyard operators to replicate. Plus, I was considering selling a few once I am comfortable with their durability.

Yeah a lot of the park where I dig do have irrigation. Makes me very nervous because it's all plastic and invisible to me!

I took these hand tools to the park along with some old plastic sheets and dug maybe 40 holes of various depths. Once we'd pack up it didn't look like anyone had been through the park at all. The plastic sheet saves a lot of mess...

Thanks mate

Latest posts