My Haul With Minelab GM1000

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Went out this afternoon to give the new GM-1000 it's first swing. Never used a detector before and am an absolute newbie in the art form.

Wasn't really in an area renowned for its detecting. So, it was no surprise not to bring home the goods.

This is what I did find though. :lol:

htYLMSw.png

Hopefully the horseshoe might bring some luck on my future adventures.

Still no idea on how you guys differentiate a 'hot rock' from something else. Not that I came across many at all. But my method was to kick it out of the way and see if the sound followed it.

Much to learn. I know how to find big chunks of iron anyway.

I guess every noise that I dug up had a reason for being there. I didn't dig any holes and not find anything. That's a start I suppose. :D

Hi Jazz,
If you want the horseshoe to bring you luck, you should turn it up the other way to hold in the luck. That way it loses the luck falling out of it...

Keep at it, you'll never find gold if you don't keep searching. Some people have taken years to find it, so don't expect to find it your first time out.

Cheers,
Megsy

Thanks Megsy,

Didn't know that about the horseshoe. The photo is clearly upside down. :p

Agreed, certainly not expecting to see much of value for a fair while. Was happy with what I did come up with. It all adds to accumulated experience.

I'm an empty cup, eager to learn :)

Dignit said:
Jazz
Where is your arm rest? Its not showing in your photo.

Building up my forearm's :lol:

Was a pain to get in and out of the car at full length and have only had small ten minute opportunities to play with it at this stage.

When I get a chance to go out for real, I'll run it full length. As it will be quite taxing on the arms I'd imagine, even though it is a very light beastie.

Hi mate, I'm only about three hours from Canberra, down Merimbula way.

Hi Jazz welcome , mate take a look at a sight called Minview. Once open, go to the mineral occurences folder , then go to group 1 metallic, scroll down till you see gold and press add. There's a fair bit to understanding the sight but when you do it'll point you in the right direction.

I took a screen shot around your area.

Keep at it and remember gold is hard to find, if it were easy everyone would be at it!

1569061074_resized_screenshot_20190921-201641_chrome.jpg

If it makes you feel better Jazz I just got back from a week in the goldfields east of Kal, Old gold region full of 1800s workings. Loads of salt and pepper laterite and BIF running through it. We had a GPZ, SDC and my equinox 800. The GPZ was a nightmare in the trashy area's, it'd go off it's brain 1 metre from a tin can and in places the cans were less than a metre apart. The nox the surprisingly accurate but tough to locate targets with. The SDC was a good all rounder.

Not a single nugget.

There could still be something in the bucket of hot rocks I collected so there's still hope but as they've said gold is hard to find.

Tathradj said:
Thought that beach in the photo looked familiar. O:)

Yep, that was Tathra beach that one. Just a muck around swing while the kids were doing their sports.

Perth Tim said:
If it makes you feel better Jazz I just got back from a week in the goldfields east of Kal, Old gold region full of 1800s workings. Loads of salt and pepper laterite and BIF running through it. We had a GPZ, SDC and my equinox 800. The GPZ was a nightmare in the trashy area's, it'd go off it's brain 1 metre from a tin can and in places the cans were less than a metre apart. The nox the surprisingly accurate but tough to locate targets with. The SDC was a good all rounder.

Not a single nugget.

There could still be something in the bucket of hot rocks I collected so there's still hope but as they've said gold is hard to find.
How much did the total trip cost minus detectors cost mate?

20xwater said:
Perth Tim said:

Not a single nugget.

How much did the total trip cost minus detectors cost mate?

$350 each roughly when you add up the fuel, beer, food and beer.

Once you have all the bits and pieces for camping out it's a cheap holiday

off to the gt thjs weekend last time a few coins at hard hill this time who knows its the doing that is fun maybe a horse shoe for me

Latest posts