New Concentric Coil; Proof is in the pudding

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Thought I would start a thread for all those who are using a concentric coil of any brand to post REAL results of GOLD being found in the ground on Australian goldfields if they would like to show their capabilities. Im especially interested in the Vic goldfields myself.
There has been plenty of debate regarding these coils but so far only test bed and air test results, and from what Ive seen one tiny piece of gold found at no great depth.
These coils are reputed to punch incredibly deep so it will be interesting to see if they can in real life on our mineralised fields.
At the moment Im unconvinced and believe the ground will limit their actual performance.
The proof is in the pudding so post those results for all to see.

Chrisco, yeah i'm with ya on that, i own an old SD2200d and am very interested in these coils, i would love to know if these coils will run quite and deeper on my machine than any other coil available. I believe the only real way to test these coils accurately is to use the test beds that have holes drilled in the side of a creek bed, i have seen some youtube vids with these test areas, but am not sure where they are in victoria.
There should be a gathering of local victorians who have different machines ranging from the SD to GP to GPX and GPZ, then coils of DD and Mono that match the size of these concentric coils ( of course anything smaller than 25in). Then someone who would be kind enough to bring along a decent chunky nugget say upto 5oz, then systematicly each coil and detector( lets say on the machines deepest setting) could be tested to see what is the best, and of course( both versions of the concentric coils Detech and the one Candigger is representing) should be used.
If i was living in vic i would volunteer to do this with anyone else with a different detector, so i think you vics need to organise something which will help us all make the right decision, after all it will be one day out of your life, but a day very worthwhile!!! :cool:

ironrock, the only point I may question is whether using the deepest setting on each machine would be the most practical method of testing. The deepest setting may be totally impractical for ordinary use. I would rather see each machine balanced, tuned and set to operate in a usable manner in the general area of the test before being passed over the target. I have witnessed impressive target responses on a test bed, only to find the same machine false signalling all over the place when moved off the test pad. I have even seen situations where a hole bored vertically into the ground still gave off a signal after the target (on a string) was removed from the hole due to the fact that the detector was totally over tuned and was reacting to the hole itself.

Yeah Reg i was thinking about that when i was typing that up, i guess thinking about it deeply, you are right, the only settings that would be appropiate for each machine are the settings that handle that particular ground best.
In regards to the holes giving signals without there being any target in there is a bit weird, definetly not something i've experienced when i've tested my machine, i guess; wave the coil over the area, if no signal then good to go, simple solution, now for volunteers?

Hi Ironrock,

the trouble with tests and comparisons is firstly trying to get people to commit. Too many people have concerns about their choice in detector and/or coil being shown up.

Study posts, videos and operarors closely and youll soon realise who you can trust. There are those that voice often promoting their product then others going quietly testing others products with excellent results showing gold as proof of finds with nothing to gain apart from notifying like minded people of their results.

Remember mate, its up to us to research, not others to bring proof/results to us....unless they are pushing their own product.

The test beds etc have been done to death on these coils so Im only interested in seeing measured results, not estimates, on actual gold being found, not planted.
I know it will take some time as the coils are brand new, pricey, and people are probably a bit tentative to take the plunge but it will be interesting to see results once they start coming in.

Bugger, everytime I log on I see a new post in this thread and investigate hoping to see what the OP made this thread for, but again nothing forthcoming.

Redfin, I have ordered an 18" concentric from Stinky Pete, and will test it on GPX and QED when it arrives. James Beatty and I tested the larger Detech concentric but did not find gold with it, although the usual junk. It was impressive enough for us both to order the smaller version, and hopefully I shall soon be able to post a gold positive report.

Chrisco, where have the testbeds been done to death with a gold nugget being tested?, remember a hole dug horizontally into the ground will give the best approximate detecting conditions, because the above ground has not been disturbed, i have not seen a single test done like this yet with a real gold nugget and with all possible coil choices either, but i think what "Aussiedigs" just wrote might make alot of sense, people will be scared of having there machine shown up and such...
Anyways, if these concentric coils could penetrate like 8in deeper then it would be something of a must have, but realistically maybe a inch or two over a DD and maybe no better than a mono, particularly in vic's highly mineralised soils, most likely a waste of money in my mind but hope to be proven wrong!

Reg Wilson said:
Redfin, I have ordered an 18" concentric from Stinky Pete, and will test it on GPX and QED when it arrives. James Beatty and I tested the larger Detech concentric but did not find gold with it, although the usual junk. It was impressive enough for us both to order the smaller version, and hopefully I shall soon be able to post a gold positive report.

Interesting!
Are there any videos showing these tests taking place ?

Latest posts