Recommend a UV torch for gemstones?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I hear it's handy to have one to see what stones do under UV light.

Can someone please school me?

Baz.

Ded Driver said:
I have an LED UV torch .... for finding scorpions .... the ones I don't want to find near my swag :pickshovel:

They would only give you lovebites ,wouldn`t they Deddriver ? :cool:

Ok... so what I have so far is, eyes, scorpions, love bites. Am I right?

I feel much better informed as a prospective UV torch purchaser. :p

Baz.

Thanks mate.

Well, he's annoying. Good to see it under the conditions and hear that it is a shortwave UV.

Are the pocket torches also available in shortwave? (More portable). Or is the fluro tube best, like he has?

Baz.

He sure is annoying but he grows on you :p I would think the bigger one he uses would be more effective than a led torch one if that's what you mean. I don't know if the torch ones are short wave. Look for an nm ( nanometer ? ) measurement of wave length and compare it to the uv spectrum.

LED torches work well for the purpose. Only about 1 in 8 diamonds flouresce under UV light, most rubies will flouresce. They can be handy to have in the kit.

The main use I had for mine was to identify jewellery with multiple diamonds, if 1 or 2 stones flouresced then you could pretty much guarantee they were real diamonds. You can pick up the LED uv lights on ebay for about $10.

just starting said:
Ded Driver said:
I have an LED UV torch .... for finding scorpions .... the ones I don't want to find near my swag :pickshovel:
They would only give you lovebites ,wouldn`t they Deddriver ? :cool:
one thing for sure Foz, I dont want no b#$%^& scorpions giving me a lovebite ... the little pricks around my way punch above their weight
:100: ]:D :poop:

Hi Baz,
Yes you can buy cheap Long Wave UV (UVA) torches with wavelengths of 365nm and longer, however these are not really good to observe mineral fluorescence, and will likely leave you very disappointed.
To really get into this field you, may need to spend ~$400+ and buy a UVC (~254nm) lamp (or maybe even a dual UVA/UVC lamp), and know that some bulbs are proprietary (replacement bulbs may not be around forever), and even the best wavelength filters (viz Hoya) are expensive and degrade with use.
You'll also need to consider eye protection.
The attached article is a big but recommended read. It discussed the technology (largely associated with mineral fluorescence) and compares some of the better products. Check the other areas of their website for great info on minerals and their fluorescence.
https://www.naturesrainbows.com/mineral-light-review-1

Further, if it's not for field detecting, then a LED torch would be OK for close-up inspection.
Don't be fooled into getting any wavelength longer than 365nm. These would have too much visible light, i.e.: for viewing the $5 note:
1566284445_5_note.jpg

Many LED UV LED torches (the yanks like to call them flashlights because a torch will set fire to things) do not state wavelengths or have wavelengths closer to 400nm, which give out way too much visible light. UV is strictly wavelengths shorter than 400nm, but all these lights have a spread, and much light creeps into our visible spectrum making them near useless.
One that I like the look of is the Nitecore MT1U: centred on 365nm with very little visible light output.
This could be another good one:
https://www.ledwv.com/uv/uv-top-detector-light-365nm-3w-p-998.html
Whilst UVB and UVC LED torches are becoming more powerful and cheaper, there are very few good/reliable ones about. Maybe wait for a few more years?
If you find one, then let me know!

I just use one of these...
UV's are expensive..... Torches are cheap....https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2x-51-LED-UV-Flashlight-Torch-Light-Lamp-Ultraviolet-Blacklight-Aluminum-395-nM/254315864564?var=553839533623&hash=item3b366821f4:m:m5ongMWBEC2WtEojYI0rCHA

I find with my Collection that everything I have shows up, so im happy, Fluorite has some issues tho.... A 'black light' works ok in most situations in Australia...

LW.....

Torches are limited in terms of their wavelength etc. but can still be fun to play with. However a proper lamp is better. I wrote extensive discussions on this if you search. Torches that "look" like they have the brightest light are often the worst (uv light is not visible, and they have too much of the visible light spectrum).

Thanks guys, there's some great reading her for me to get stuck into and fill in all the blanks. I wouldn't really be wanting one for fossicking in the field, more like a small one to put a few rocks under in my darkened kitchen at the end of a trip to have a look-see what's what.

Glad I posted this and you good folk answered my call. I will now not be ripped off.

Bless ya's!

Baz.

Sandbagger said:
Thanks guys, there's some great reading her for me to get stuck into and fill in all the blanks. I wouldn't really be wanting one for fossicking in the field, more like a small one to put a few rocks under in my darkened kitchen at the end of a trip to have a look-see what's what.
Glad I posted this and you good folk answered my call. I will now not be ripped off.
Bless ya's!
Baz.
:Y:

Latest posts