Is it worth it?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

20x

scott
Reaction score
Just wondering if it would be worth ripping into this for some fun?
1566036361_img_20190817_195858.jpg

1566036399_img_20190817_195924.jpg

1566036430_img_20190817_195947.jpg

1566036456_img_20190817_200005.jpg

Only you can say if that would be fun to you.

To me, it looks like hard work, perhaps for no return, if that's an old mine where the quartz has been left there.
I'd assume it meant there was nothing in it worth getting it out - otherwise they would have done it.

But up to you mate.

Cheers,
Megsy

MegsyB007 said:

To me, it looks like hard work, perhaps for no return, if that's an old mine where the quartz has been left there.
I'd assume it meant there was nothing in it worth getting it out - otherwise they would have done it.

But up to you mate.

Cheers,
Megsy
That's what I allways think to, it's still there because they got it all.
Spent a couple of hours in there today smashing at it in different places.
Didn't find any visible associated metals at all.
Horizontal rust Viens (guessing are sulphides) were composed of pockets of displaced quartz. Guessing this is where the free gold forms?
Fault is an east/west strike and dipping away to the north about 45 degrees.
I think I've said that bit right lol

Take some samples of the sulphides and send into a lab, a bloke in GG&T Magazine offers XRF very very cheap.

MegsyB007 said:

But up to you mate.

Cheers,
Megsy
Thinking I might just leave it for summer on those scorching hot days.
No getting sulphide tests done, a little underground playground where I can learn a thing or to and just hope to get a little hard rock colour. ?

The rusty mineral staining looks interesting. Test where there is a displacement or cross fault of the reef. They may not have thought it worthwhile to remove for a number of reasons
Ive been playing around in an old surface costean in a Greisen (up near where I took you) and getting out bunches of quartz that the old timers couldnt be bothered taking out. Im getting some good colour. I was up there again yesterday. Got out about 30kgs from various places along the reef including a section that is outcropping on the natural surface.
The only reason that I can see for them leaving it other than grade. is that host rock that is mixed in with the quartz contains a lot of mica that would have blocked up he screens on the battery. I had this problem when I ran the last lot through the rod mill. Most of the gold stayed in the mill and got rolled so flat it wouldnt go through the screen. :(

jethro said:
The rusty mineral staining looks interesting. Test where there is a displacement or cross fault of the reef. They may not have thought it worthwhile to remove for a number of reasons
Ive been playing around in an old surface costean in a Greisen (up near where I took you) and getting out bunches of quartz that the old timers couldnt be bothered taking out. Im getting some good colour. I was up there again yesterday. Got out about 30kgs from various places along the reef including a section that is outcropping on the natural surface.
The only reason that I can see for them leaving it other than grade. is that host rock that is mixed in with the quartz contains a lot of mica that would have blocked up he screens on the battery. I had this problem when I ran the last lot through the rod mill. Most of the gold stayed in the mill and got rolled so flat it wouldnt go through the screen. :(
Heya buddy, good to hear your still at it.
Being colour blind makes it hard to know what I don't know that I'm even looking at lol.
I went down for an hour yesterday and chose this particular spot to smash away at. It didn't look like this when I started, it's what I revealed.
1566702535_img_20190825_125617.jpg

It's only about 7m down from natural surface so is semi decomposed and not to hard to dig.
An interesting rock/mineral type that may be of no significance..
1566702807_img_20190825_130158.jpg

In low light looking through the loop at this sample 90% of the shiny stuff lol that I'm guessing is the pyrite doesn't shine. So what still gleams is the gold in it?
1566703100_img_20190825_131740.jpg

20Xwate said:
Heya buddy, good to hear your still at it.
Being colour blind makes it hard to know what I don't know that I'm even looking at lol.
I went down for an hour yesterday and chose this particular spot to smash away at. It didn't look like this when I started, it's what I revealed.

I reckon the best thing you can do with that sample is to burn :fire: it............. literally. Put it in a hot fire outdoors and down wind from you and others you dont wish harm on ]:D :skull: : . Cook it so that the air/oxygen can still get to it then when its cold crush it down to powder and pan off to see if it contains gold :goldnugget: .

Looks interesting. Have you check it out where it reaches the surface? If not I would poke around there,look out for a shaft.Take some soil samples up top and maybe to the left and right of the entrance as well just to try to work out what enthused them to dig right there. I have seen a lot of adits that seemed to be dug for no reason and for no return. It was like they would test the reef at depth to see if it had better values there or they would tunnel through a hill looking for a reef. Driven by gold fever I guess. It can be a terrible disease at times.

There are 3 adits together with mullocks joined so now you ask the question I can't be sure which one.
The bit was amongst a country rock section of mullock with minimal quartz.
The rest is loaded with quartz..
There is 2 shallow and parallel digs directly below the adit of interest approx 5m long and dug in the down hill direction of an approx 10 degree slope.
This all leads to a point just below the top of a saddle.
The 3 adits are in the highest ground..

I just moved this from the other topic.

DykeHead said:
Sounds like a thin rich vein may be still hiding in one of the adits?
I definitely have the disease but not infected by the adits, I just find it really interesting. Be happy just to get some Kool metalic mineral specimens out of there for the collection.
Focused on the gully below where the gold is.

Sounds like they found colour in the ground covering the adit so tunneled in just under it maybe.

DykeHead said:
Sounds like they found colour in the ground covering the adit so tunneled in just under it maybe.
No tunnel, they have chased the quartz faults down on the same angle they dip.
Widest bit of quartz fault/vein would be a good 300mm from memory..

Now I'm getting a better picture an adit is horizontal. I think they would call what you describing an underlie shaft maybe.

DykeHead said:
Now I'm getting a better picture an adit is horizontal. I think they would call what you describing an underlie shaft maybe.
Lol
Do you follow 911 mining on U tube?
Samples in latest vid are awesome.
Colour blindness = I can see all the different colours but can't distinguish any of them. To much variation and in a small space.

I've watched them in the past they find lots of mineralised quartz etc. Good looking stone they get! They do things the new way with getting everything assayed.Probably a much better way then what I do. I follow visible gold to visible gold.The old way I suppose. Colour blind wouldn't be helping you much I'm guessing.
1567510278_1.jpg
1567510306_2.jpg
1567510331_3.jpg
1567510357_4.jpg

From one speck to the source.Few samples in between though.

The spot your on sounds to me like the old timers traced the colour and hit right on it. It's easy for them to miss something though.

I've just recently watched more of 911 mining and they do seem to know what they're talking about.

Latest posts