Struggling with Gold monster 1000

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys I recently purchased the gold Monster 1000 and have had some experience with detecting I am a old memeber,I have had a few post with ATOMRAT anyway I headed out to around the Chewton area and just struggled to get the gits of it I have researched and seen a few YouTube vids about the auto sens ect but just kept picking up hot rocks, wrong signals and the odd peice of tin so got me confused pretty quick just seeing if theres people out there with info or would even be interested in a meet up and crash course on the detector. Any info would help Chers. Happy gold hunting

Gday mate. Where did you buy the 1000 from, normally a Minelab dealership offers a training course, For free. I didnt take it up back 3 years ago. Never found anything but lead for 6 months, with a SDC 2300. Only when I bought a test nugget for $20 and played with it at different settings and different depths. Dry soil vs wet soils. Now Im picking up the smallest sub gram at surprising depths. Hint research the area and the do my research again. Know your detector before you go out. Then you will be able to understand what Im saying. Good luck.

goodaye DylanP
tips n tricks ive read & practised (& seems to work).
there are only really 2 main things to get right (& tune on the run), on the little Monster.
Sensitivity & Ground Balance.
as a side note, if you are using 'All Metal' & having big problems then switch to 'Gold Mode'. This mostly discriminates out ferrous targets & helps quieten it down, but will also lose depth & possibly some targets.
Use Manual Sensitivity, & on noisy ground start low, & then adjust upwards until it gets noisy then back off a notch, but run it as high as you can. You may need to adjust this as you move around over different ground.
If you haven't already seen them, there are a couple of good Youtube videos on Ground Balance, by Nugget Shooter (& a couple of others). The important thing to keep in mind is that the GM needs to 'average' the ground. To do this you need to move the coil around over the area whilst pumping up & down for ground balance. Don't just balance in the one spot, & every 30-50m or so its good to give it a quick wandering pump to keep the ground balance up.
Its a tricky unit in noisy ground & Im still learning it too, but, practise practise practise
hope this helps a bit
ps this is a handy clip on GB & sensitivity
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjF_tzk95zU

DED

Thanks for the info guys will definitely help out a lot Im sure a few more swings Ill have it down pat

Dylanpennack23 said:
Thanks for the info guys will definitely help out a lot Im sure a few more swings Ill have it down pat
Great advice above , but the funny thing, when I was staying at Karara. Two different people came up to me. One with a 1000 purchased the day before and went for a walk finding nothing, I placed a 2gram nugget on top of soil. It DIDNT pick it up. No matter what settings, The bloke took it back to Shop and was handed a replacement straight away. Week later, he started to pickup everything. The second bloke had a SDC 2300. Same thing. Went back to Minelab and found the coil broken. Replace it under warranty and bang its working. So the moral to the story. Get a test nugget and then you will know. If the machine is working or not. Then play with the different depths, soils and dry and wet Hope this helps

Thanks mate I have had a play in the back yard with a nugget seemed like I had it set right until I got out there and had to deal with old iron and hot rocks at times I waved my hand over it and would go off at that point I wasent gonna bother until I was shown probly how to use it hoeing someone would be up for a trip and abit of a learning lesson

Dylanpennack23 said:
Thanks mate I have had a play in the back yard with a nugget seemed like I had it set right until I got out there and had to deal with old iron and hot rocks at times I waved my hand over it and would go off at that point I wasent gonna bother until I was shown probly how to use it hoeing someone would be up for a trip and abit of a learning lesson
Whats state are you based. Happy to show you. I always take a small sub gram with me out in the field. If not picking anything up for a while. I would test it again and again. To make sure.
You really get pissed off walking for hours not knowing the detector is not working collectly

Thats was pretty much what i was doing walk hours getting faulse signals hot rocks ext Im
Base in Melbourne mate happy to drive a couple hours to go where I need to would be great to have a swing with some else who knows all the tips and tricks and all the little important details

Latest posts