Spiders found in WA goldfields

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I uncovered a Southern Funnel Web while digging a hole a while back in Longbush.
It came out swinging, raised up with its fangs bared in anger. As much as I hate spiders I didn't kill it, as of course like all critters they have a place in the food chain, and it was in it's own environment, not in my house. But I stuck the end of my pick in front of it and the feisty little bastard tried its hardest to sink its fangs into the steel.

Many of us walked into a Golden Orb Spider web while heads down concentrating on swinging in our search for gold. This ones web got entangled on the antennas on the bull bar and journeyed home 1000+kms. When I found the Orb I transferred it to our garden where it lived out its short life.

1565659401_orbspider3.jpg

Reeks said:
Interesting nightjar, thanks for posting
I recall seeing hundreds of trapdoors with a certain pine needle looking leaf placed in a pattern around each door from the nearby scrub around Redcastle in W.A but I never saw the spiders, would you know what they were?

Most likely one of many species of "Trapdoor Spider." Most are nocturnal, would be interesting to dig one up and identify it.

https://www.agric.wa.gov.au/mites-spiders/common-neighbourhood-spiders?nopaging=1

If you take a walk at night with a bright headlamp in our bush it is not uncommon to see tiny sparkling lights on the ground. If you bend down and look closely you will most like see a tiny spider.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Ima...BAgCECQ&biw=1402&bih=879#imgrc=RUmQZp9nQ0UIDM:

i too dont kill them anywhere outside & away from the house .. but i dont like em ]:D
Orb Spiders webs can be awesome. I have seen them over 2m in diameter!
I am a bit paranoid about scorpions tho .... I have a UV torch in my gear & i scan the area around where I camp at night :argh:
stems from a childhood near hit with 1 ... luckily not stung, but .....

Ded Driver said:
I am a bit paranoid about scorpions tho .... I have a UV torch in my gear & i scan the area around where I camp at night :argh:

Fair few around in the GT, in the dry. hiding under bits of rock or branches, in the main.

I don't mind spiders. I used to have a pet huntsman who roamed around my apartment. I called him Harry and made a deal with him that he was cool as long as he stayed on the walls, and not on my bed! He agreed and we were good mates.

But I was digging around a fallen tree when I was up at the Turon River on the Hill End meet up trip, and a big black bastard came out fighting - scared the bejesus out of me! I found another spot and left him to his tree! Yikes! Give me a friendly huntsman any day!

Jaros said:
He was probably protecting his pension stone of yella. a 20 oz'er :(

:lol: He probably was - he was fighting for that spot! But I conceded, since he was determined to keep it.

I'd say that spot's under water now now though - so good luck to him! :)

That reminds me of a time camping when a big log was thrown on the fire, and about 50 huntsmen came running out of it and across the camp. You should have heard the screaming from the women sitting around the fire! :lol:

Ded Driver said:
i too dont kill them anywhere outside & away from the house

Early days of prospecting, used to doss down in a sleeping bag under the stars. Gave my boots a shake one morning and a huge scorpion fell out. From that day forth have always jammed a sock in each boot before retiring.
AND.... Bought myself a army camp stretcher and a small tent.

Latest posts