dja dja wurrung and owning property at Inglewood

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I found the thread about dja dja wurrung and the "new" native title and national park issues in that area.

Can anyone tell me can i still search for gold on my own 100 acre property at Inglewood or is there a chance it will also be outlawed ?

or worse ?

That should put your mind at ease HB , Best of luck in your search for gold ,great link Deepblue .
Cheers Booney :Y:

Great Link thanks deepblue.
I'm particularly encouraged by such statements as "Prospecting for gold and minerals continues in the parks, often using lightweight metal detectors. Prospecting can generate a strong connection between contemporary prospectors and the historical heritage of the region".

I believe we can all coexist if we respect each others cultures and beliefs. Past mining activities have caused much damage to the terrain and ecosystems in a lot of the Dja Dja Warrung peoples traditional lands, and I guess if part of purchasing a prospecting license was learning how to fill your holes properly, i.e., rock/clay back in first, topsoil on top and then return the detritus/leaves etc so it looks the same as when you started, then we won't leave a barren, pockmarked, upside-down moonscape behind us.

Great spot Inglewood. Mrs Deepseeker and I had a look through the old Pelican Hotel some months back with a view to buying it. She was keen but I wasn't, as there is way too much renovation work in it for my liking, even though it is a beautiful grand old dame. I could see too many years of me working on the building instead of out detecting.

Just curious , whats Inglewood like for fine gold that could suit dry blowing ?

I didnt put any time in prospecting there , is it mostly coarse gold or is it known for any areas of fine gold from decomposed reefs that detectors wouldnt pick up ?

CreviceSucker said:
Just curious , whats Inglewood like for fine gold that could suit dry blowing ?

I didnt put any time in prospecting there , is it mostly coarse gold or is it known for any areas of fine gold from decomposed reefs that detectors wouldnt pick up ?

I couldn't tell you CreviceSucker, as I only ever briefly detected on the outskirts of Inglewood once. The closest I've seriously detected on numerous occasions is Kingower. Plus, I use mainly ridiculously large coils and dig deep, deep, holes for lead musket balls and other junk :p It's how I get my jollies, as I figure I can pan and shoot sub grammers with small coils when I'm too old to walk long distances swinging a big coil and dig huge holes by hand anymore. I found plenty of small stuff when I was a kid goldpanning around the Blackwood area with an uncle. It' funny in that some of it was nearly the size of a match head, but we didn't call them nuggets or sub-grammers back then, just large specks. But a couple of years ago I moved the family not too far from the GT for business reasons and the kids schooling, so I figure if I'm close to big nugget country now then that's what I might as well hunt for.

And who knows? I may just find something that makes the Hand of Faith look like a tiddler :lol: But Inglewood is where Mick Brown found this:-

http://www.gannawarratimes.com.au/story/2888753/golden-find-for-key-prospector/

1565485529_r0_0_576_768_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Latest posts