Bad drivers

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Have a gander at this :8 and add your videos or stories.
https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/south-australia/caravan-rollover-when-overtaking-goes-wrong/video/586f7067428749ec875843bdc9266a87

Good reason to know your vehicles capability and drive to conditions. Obviously this driver didn't or there was mechanical failure in the mix but I doubt it, weight distribution could have also played a part. With all the miles I clock up I get to see a few destroyed vans and trailers fortunately none of them taking place while I'm in the destruction zone.

The two observers were pretty cool about it, weren't they? I reckon I would have said a few unprintable expletives if I'd seen that happen in front of me!
And probably would have moved a lot faster to get to that driver too... Hope they were OK, even though their holiday was trashed...

Patience, people... It is a virtue...

Be careful out there when towing your vans.

High speed and caravans don't mix - as this guy learnt - the hard way. :awful:

Yeah the observers were extremely cool, I'm with you if it were me seeing that unfold my words would never make print.

RM Outback said:
Yeah the observers were extremely cool, I'm with you if it were me seeing that unfold my words would never make print.

Yep Going too fast with a heavy van is a bad combination for sure, That turned out to be an expensive day for the Owner/Driver etc, I bet that was the fastest $150,000 he ever wasted,

Over here if your Towing the speed limit 60mph on the Motorways and 50mph on the "B" Roads, Bottom line is there is no excuse to be towing that fast, If a person needs to get there sooner then leave earlier, What a waste, :( 8.(

Jaros said:
Double Ouch!! Must have cut in too harshly and didn't know how to accelerate out of trouble. :(

We'll never know but it sure turned out a nasty result for a bad decision to overtake. Could have been an eroded shoulder on the bitumen either way it turned out bad. I've driven some single lane roads in the truck and my left steer and drive wheels I've had to run off the bitumen to allow for an oncoming vehicle to pass. Most cases it's no drama but if the bitumen is braking up there's usually a pot hole or two in the mix and can make for a rough ride and if you don't have your wit's about you it could turn nasty very easily.

Jaros said:
Double Ouch!! Must have cut in too harshly and didn't know how to accelerate out of trouble. :(
Better solution if van is equipped with electric brakes is to simply use manual override to activate van brakes and create drag and it will pull itself straight . The Laws of Physics says so ;)
Big disaster considering that by using two fingers how easily the driver could have got it all sorted. :(

The Driver must of done something seriously wrong to make the Trailer Snake like that not to mention the end results, Single Axle Trailers are worse when it comes to swaying, so it's a bit odd a Twin Axle losing it like that, Normally a Twin is well behaved as a rule.

Certainly right about touching the electric brakes, trouble is you don't think logically when in trouble, for a tandem... my thoughts swing to a blow-out or an under-pressure tyre, would cause this sudden loss of control really easily.

Jaros said:
didn't know how to accelerate out of trouble. :(

Never ever do that towing a van with the wobbles up.
Take your foot off the loud pedal, keep driving in a straight line and apply the electric brakes manually.

To avoid the wobbles, as in this case, is all about weight distribution.

Explained here = [video=480,360]https://youtu.be/6mW_gzdh6to[/video]