QED vs X-Terra 70? Help plz.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I hve an either/or choice to borrow one this weekend for gold detecting.

I know nothing about detectors, so this will be new for me.

Can anyone help me make the choice please? Please use small words....

Baz.

You got to go the Qed mate.
Wasting ya time with the 705 unless it's got a 6 inch coil and your only working crevices on bedrock. :)

Sandbagger said:
Thanks gang. I'll give it a try and see how I go.

Cheers,

Baz.

Baz, if you do borrow the QED, go to the Facebook QED forum or post here the coil you are running and where and well try and get you some basic settings to run with.

Al.

Aussiedigs said:
Sandbagger said:
Thanks gang. I'll give it a try and see how I go.

Cheers,

Baz.

Baz, if you do borrow the QED, go to the Facebook QED forum or post here the coil you are running and where and well try and get you some basic settings to run with.

Al.

Will do mate.

I am picking up the QED first thing Monday on my way out to some goldfields, so I actually have the opportunity to try both!

In the meantime, I have a very busy weekend at the Sydney Knife show, so I will have my nights to jump on the computer and dive into the manual of both the QED and the X-terra70.

Here is the kit I have on loan. I have no idea what the two coils are for yet.

Can't wait to try them both out and compare. Going cross-eyed just reading the manual though....

Baz.

yFFOsA4.jpg

woeL2xO.jpg

jkjTDZo.jpg

zg68UVz.jpg

DlaZMfF.jpg

Ded Driver said:
Baz, the round twin circle coil is a Concentric, mostly for coins & relics. The other black ellipse is a DD, better for itty bitty bits of gold ... & Handles mineralisation better
Thank you mate. I was wondering about that. Good to know.

Ok, so the X-Terra 70 didn't work. It kept shutting down on me several times, to the point that I couldn't turn it back on again.

Sending that one back to it's owner with a thanks but no thanks.

Now, I have this QED on loan also.

I've checked all the connections, replaced all the old batteties with new ones. Turnrd it on and got lots of beeps and tones, so it's on.

Now what? All gobbledygook to me.

Baz.

1565268900_20190808_224759-920x447.jpg

1565268917_20190808_224806-920x447.jpg

1565268932_20190808_224818-920x447.jpg

1565268956_20190808_224829-920x447.jpg

Ded Driver said:
sorry cant help you with the QED Baz, but the 705 problem sounds like batteries!
Did you try new batteries in it? ;)

DED

Sure did mate. Brand new.

Baz.

Hi Baz. It does look like gobbledegook at first. Start off with a factory reset. With the unit OFF hold down the LEFT button then press and hold down the next button to the right. Watching the screen when it stops flashing, the reset is complete. The coil looks like an 11. Try mode 3 with gain around 5. Do your ground balance as per the manual. Take particular note of the tips in green to the right. Set your THS-B around the 50-52 mark. You could leave THS-A at the factory reset or bring it up some. This should get you in the ballpark. I run mode 3/gain 5 nice and stable with my Minelab 11 mono. Your machine may need a fine tune from what i have recommended but should be good or close. If you have any concerns just ask mate.

Al.

Latest posts