Eldorado 2 tier sluice! Mods?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sweet thanks brother, hav been looking for a while.. cheers , more mods to my hibanker it seems :)

What's everyone got against bubbles don't you realise that is what gets you the gold? It's when the bubbles form due to eddy currents generated by the riffles in the sluice that the gold (even flour gold) will drop out of solution and get trapped behind the riffles. Remember gold is 19 times heavier than water so the bubble won't carry it. You want you bubbles to be showing just behind your riffles as that's when you know you have your water flow right.

The other thing about a sluice is you should only have one form of matting across its length and get the water flow right for that matting. Seen lots of multi matt contraptions on forums lately that loose gold because they can't get water flow correct, the multi matting is one of the reasons the other is the angles they use but the bubbles will tell you if you have the right angle.

Brother said:
I see on other sluices that there is a strip at top holding down mat/mesh and stoping things from going under?

Back ON TOPIC for the OP... :p

YES, YES, YES...the matting (whatever you use) needs to be held down at the top to stop material (AND GOLD) from flowing under. In some sluices the riffle-grate wedges down to do the job...in others there may be a screw-down bar, but this is essential, and sounds likely to be your biggest issue given your description of the mat behaviour. Similarly, if the Riffle-grate isn't holding down on a mat, and water can flow between the riffles and a mat, the riffles won't be doing squat.

gcause said:
What's everyone got against bubbles don't you realise that is what gets you the gold? It's when the bubbles form due to eddy currents generated by the riffles in the sluice that the gold (even flour gold) will drop out of solution and get trapped behind the riffles. Remember gold is 19 times heavier than water so the bubble won't carry it. You want you bubbles to be showing just behind your riffles as that's when you know you have your water flow right.

The other thing about a sluice is you should only have one form of matting across its length and get the water flow right for that matting. Seen lots of multi matt contraptions on forums lately that loose gold because they can't get water flow correct, the multi matting is one of the reasons the other is the angles they use but the bubbles will tell you if you have the right angle.

bit of light reading for you

http://hecklerfabrication.com/files/sluice-build-partIII-2.pdf

Marked said:
Brother said:
I see on other sluices that there is a strip at top holding down mat/mesh and stoping things from going under?

YES, YES, YES...the matting (whatever you use) needs to be held down at the top to stop material (AND GOLD) from flowing under. In some sluices the riffle-grate wedges down to do the job...in others there may be a screw-down bar, but this is essential, and sounds likely to be your biggest issue given your description of the mat behaviour. Similarly, if the Riffle-grate isn't holding down on a mat, and water can flow between the riffles and a mat, the riffles won't be doing squat.

YES That's it! Riffle bar is not quite holding carpet down! Sorta fixed today with Duct Tape! :8 Temp fix just to run 4 buckets. lol Will bring the 2 Tier up from site and take a few pics tomorrow! (Ill do my best)
(oh About 26deg not % sorry, my bad)
Anyway it worked, nothing in added sluice not even the black sand! And half a gram in me pan :D Still fine stuff but the bigger flakes saying hi at the 1st and 2nd riffle, so she be spot on with a small mod.

Thank you all for your help and advice! :)

Now what to use to hold the bugger down?! Cant use tape, its not long lasting!! lol

Brother said:
Now what to use to hold the bugger down?! Cant use tape, its not long lasting!! lol

how about a Z shaped angle , with the height of the Z just right so it sits on top of the mat ?

1382612559_z.jpg

Brother said:
Marked said:
Brother said:

YES That's it! Riffle bar is not quite holding carpet down! Sorta fixed today with Duct Tape! :8 Temp fix just to run 4 buckets. lol Will bring the 2 Tier up from site and take a few pics tomorrow! (Ill do my best)
(oh About 26deg not % sorry, my bad)
Anyway it worked, nothing in added sluice not even the black sand! And half a gram in me pan :D Still fine stuff but the bigger flakes saying hi at the 1st and 2nd riffle, so she be spot on with a small mod.

Thank you all for your help and advice! :)

Hey Brother
26deg still seems a bit steep, have a play around with the angle & try to check where the fines are getting caught, try not to have too much fine gold getting toward the end of the sluice.
cheers
Lee

Sorry about the mess with pics, getting the hang of it :8

Anyway ya can see that the expanded mesh does not quite fit tight, and the first riffle bar only holds it down just, have tried moving it all about but gota get a carpet holder thingy!

And just 3.6 grams from my new toy. So it works :cool:

gcause said:

sorry mate completely disagree here, bubbles under flake gold carries your gold right out of the sluice. gold capture comes from allowing the gold to drop out of suspension. I think the problem witj some of these sluices with riffles all the way is that they dont allow the slurry to slow down amd keep kicking heavies up back into the mix. in saying that any setup can be dialed in by modifying pitch and water flow.

id remove the top 30cm of riffles and allow tye slurry to settle and flatten out before it hits your riffles. no miners moss for the slick area just rubber mat and the expanded. hope yii get it working mate

Brother said:
Sorry about the mess with pics, getting the hang of it :8

Anyway ya can see that the expanded mesh does not quite fit tight, and the first riffle bar only holds it down just, have tried moving it all about but gota get a carpet holder thingy!

And just 3.6 grams from my new toy. So it works :cool:
brother yoir running your expanded back to front the diamonds need to kick water up on tge way down same as the riffles. your creating a cleaning action flip it so the water runs this way
1382699431_tmp_2013-10-25_22.09.582049630766.png

haha that's handy info thanks ill mark that! ive had it this way and that running both ways! :8 :8

Latest posts