You are not logged in.

  • Register to access additional forum features.  

#1

Brother
Member
Joined: 24 May 2013
Posts: 119
23 October 2013 09:45 pm

Gday all, I got the Eldorado 2 tier sluice last week, to mod to Hibanker, pump, pipe, bends and bits, put together all works great! (Sorry no photo cant figure it out.)  ops

Well after 2 days running in a good gold creek I thought ide try my other sluice on the end to check my tailings!(A bit late I know) You could not imagine my horror to find at least 20 good size flake! 0.4g!
The heavy material has been going under mating and straight out under the carpet!! The carpet catches the uber fine but the big specks go under?
Worked one bank for day 1 then moved as the pickings were just very fine and only about 0.4g, and about 0.5 again at the next spot.
So I moved again up to a spot I know that gives up specks and small pickers, and added the extra sluice to see! Pulled 0.6 from HB and 0.4 from extra sluice 1g for a day aint to bad? I am half broken, and working hard is not me!

Angle and water flow is spot on! So it has to be??
Gota go over 2 days tailings!!  mad

Some of you may have or have used this model? Did you have to upgrade/change stuff?? Its a great unit, but needs work straight outa the box or you may suffer the loss like me!  cry
It need adjustable legs! Any info plz
Like, Wider expanded mesh? Miners moss? Door strip stuff to slot carpet in? V mat?

Thanks in advance, or just for reading my rant, im tired and stiff.

Brother.


3 pans, 2 sluice, 3 HIbanker, 1 Garrett AT Gold and no more time for dreaming!

#2

Balx
Banned
23 October 2013 09:52 pm

Stick some v matting under the moss mate cant go wrong. Balx

Last edited by Balx (23 October 2013 09:52 pm)

2 users like this post: Brother, HeadsUp

#3

Brother
Member
Joined: 24 May 2013
Posts: 119
23 October 2013 09:57 pm

Was my thought too, V mat the lot!


3 pans, 2 sluice, 3 HIbanker, 1 Garrett AT Gold and no more time for dreaming!

1 user likes this post: HeadsUp

#4

Ramjet
Moderator
From: Maitland, NSW
Joined: 19 February 2013
Posts: 4,238
23 October 2013 10:13 pm

I have very little experience but do a lot of research. if your high banker is letting gold pass thru and your Sluice is catching almost as much then I believe your high banker is not set up correctly.
If you do your research you will see that a correctly setup sluice or high banker should catch most of the gold in the top 2 thirds to 3 1/4.  There shoud be no or very little gold at the exit end of your high banker or sluice.


Such is Life. Touch the Frog

1 user likes this post: Brother

#5

slowflow
Member
From: Heathcote, NSW
Joined: 05 August 2013
Posts: 669
23 October 2013 10:15 pm

Don't know this sluice.
When running mine for very fine gold I need to reduce the angle. Usually test pan, then run the sluice flatout so it retains nothing for a couple of shovels and back off until rifles are retaining just a tiny bit of blond. I'm using Gold Hog mat now but it used to work with the blue miners mat. If the mat is not almost clean there are no holes to let the gold drop.
It seems a lot of manufacturers overstate the capture percentage, if you are close to 90% that is good. 6:4 is not a good ratio, check no flutter in the mat as it shakes the gold free, no easy path for escape.  Check no surge in water supply & ensure the sluice is level across the flow path, a level helps but you can see by flow depth. Talk to supplier/manufacturer. Best of luck, let us know what you find.

1 user likes this post: Brother

#6

HeadsUp
Member
Joined: 17 April 2013
Posts: 2,362
23 October 2013 10:38 pm

i used to use backed ultimat miners moss like Wal's highbankers but as i find it hard to clean i am moving to unbacked miners moss sitting on top of Vee ribbed matting

be careful !  there are two kinds of ribbed matting  , one has shallow ribs about 1.6 mm deep and the other is approx 2.6 - 2.8 mm deep

compare them all when you're at the shop

i sit my mats over a large plastic tub and find the unbacked miners moss cleans well by blasting it from the back with a hose on "shower mode" whereas the backed one still retains particles of gravel and MY gold


On a mission to rescue as many gold nuggets as i can before those poor souls get washed out to sea . GPX5000 smilemaker , self built highbanker and enthusiastic shovel

1 user likes this post: Brother

#7

WalnLiz
Member
From: Canberra , ACT
Joined: 20 January 2013
Posts: 3,163
23 October 2013 11:33 pm

If you're using "Coarse" backed moss and you roll it upside down in a bucket it will drop out every bit of gold and black sand with only a few sideways rolls, plus no gold can get underneath it. Never had a problem myself in thousands of cleanups. wink

Cheers Wal.


Gold Gem and Treasure hunters from Canberra......run minelab gpx 5000 and 3 gold and gem Hi-bankers...life's short ..don't waste it.

1 user likes this post: Brother

#8

HeadsUp
Member
Joined: 17 April 2013
Posts: 2,362
23 October 2013 11:35 pm

WalnLiz wrote:

If you're using "Coarse" backed moss and you roll it upside down in a bucket it will drop out every bit of gold and black sand with only a few sideways rolls, plus no gold can get underneath it. Never had a problem myself in thousands of cleanups. wink

Cheers Wal.

maybe the matting i got from bunnings is the fine one ?

i didnt see it available in coarse


On a mission to rescue as many gold nuggets as i can before those poor souls get washed out to sea . GPX5000 smilemaker , self built highbanker and enthusiastic shovel

#9

WalnLiz
Member
From: Canberra , ACT
Joined: 20 January 2013
Posts: 3,163
23 October 2013 11:57 pm

The coarser one only comes in the larger version ( 900 x 600 ). The smaller ones are much finer and no where near as good.The coarse one is almost identical in weave to the original un-backed miners moss available from prospecting shops.

The greatest thing about this mat is you can run faster water speeds, and once the gold reaches the backing that's where it stays....it doesn't go under the box or over the end. wink

Gold Hog mats work very well too...but make sure you classify all "Flat" rocks out of the box, as these "will" suck fine gold along with them as they slide over the mat......have witnessed this on several occasions. wink

Cheers Wal.


Gold Gem and Treasure hunters from Canberra......run minelab gpx 5000 and 3 gold and gem Hi-bankers...life's short ..don't waste it.

#10

gcause
TrackIT Software Pty Ltd
From: North Brisbane, QLD
Joined: 07 October 2013
Posts: 987
24 October 2013 12:34 am

I just use cheap astro turf matting it catches everything including flour gold.  smile

Last edited by gcause (24 October 2013 12:34 am)


My equipment a Minelab GPX 5000, Minelab SD2200D, Garrett GTI 2500, High Banker, River Sluice, Gold Pan and a Troopy also a Site Sponsor: TrackIT Software Pty. Ltd. http://www.track-it.com.au

#11

Ozjono
Member
Joined: 01 April 2013
Posts: 178
24 October 2013 12:54 am

gcause wrote:

I just use cheap astro turf matting it catches everything including flour gold.  smile

I also use it works great and cleans out easy too.

#12

slowflow
Member
From: Heathcote, NSW
Joined: 05 August 2013
Posts: 669
24 October 2013 07:09 am

One more thought
I can't see anything to stop the bubbles which helps the fine gold sink in the water column and into the mat. Bubbles will carry fine gold and can be extreme depending on water quality. (Further info see protein skimmer or foam fractionators in an aquarium forum). A rubber flap may also help.

1382558721_imag0201.jpg

Wal
Just 100% correct!!
Gold Hog mats work very well too...but make sure you classify all "Flat" rocks out of the box, as these "will" suck fine gold along with them as they slide over the mat......have witnessed this on several occasions. wink

1 user likes this post: Brother

#13

Brother
Member
Joined: 24 May 2013
Posts: 119
24 October 2013 07:53 am

Big thanks guys, ill try a few picks today? To show.

The riffle bar and mesh does not hold the blue carpet down at top of sluice, about 3-4mm gap, so as the water drops it lifts the carpet that few mill and off goes my hard work!

Please don't get me wrong, I have done a lot of research into this, but the one thing I missed was the little detail of the sluice! Angle is about 24-26% could be more!, and water is at 215-220ltpm if anything a bit slow?

I see on other sluices that there is a strip at top holding down mat/mesh and stoping things from going under?


3 pans, 2 sluice, 3 HIbanker, 1 Garrett AT Gold and no more time for dreaming!

#14

Brother
Member
Joined: 24 May 2013
Posts: 119
24 October 2013 07:54 am

1382561679_eldorado_2__45610_zoom.jpg

This is the offender, Ok set up at a good price, just needs a good moding!

Last edited by Brother (24 October 2013 07:57 am)


3 pans, 2 sluice, 3 HIbanker, 1 Garrett AT Gold and no more time for dreaming!

#15

Tige
Member
Joined: 01 July 2013
Posts: 187
24 October 2013 08:26 am

hi guys,  I hav a rubber flap on mine which helps with bubbles but still get a fair bit forming....would love to  get my hands on some  goldhog mat, looks good but hav no idea were to get it sad .


Home made hibanker, trommel, Garrett pan set, am Alaskan + explorer sluices and a serious case of gold fever smile

#16

HeadsUp
Member
Joined: 17 April 2013
Posts: 2,362
24 October 2013 08:29 am

Tige wrote:

hi guys,  I hav a rubber flap on mine which helps with bubbles but still get a fair bit forming....would love to  get my hands on some  goldhog mat, looks good but hav no idea were to get it sad .

you can only buy it from the states from goldhog themselves but they wanted $ 120 shipping when i enquired

be aware that their matting requires about double the water flow of other highbankers

i would apparently need minimum 6500 GPH for a 12 inch wide unit


On a mission to rescue as many gold nuggets as i can before those poor souls get washed out to sea . GPX5000 smilemaker , self built highbanker and enthusiastic shovel

#17

Brother
Member
Joined: 24 May 2013
Posts: 119
24 October 2013 08:46 am

This mob has it, if its the stuff your after?? Have been looking myself after the last few days!

http://aussiedetectors.webs.com/apps/we … 197?page=1


3 pans, 2 sluice, 3 HIbanker, 1 Garrett AT Gold and no more time for dreaming!

1 user likes this post: HeadsUp

#18

rc62burke
Member
From: Townsville, QLD
Joined: 21 June 2013
Posts: 452
24 October 2013 09:44 am

Brother wrote:

Big thanks guys, ill try a few picks today? To show.

The riffle bar and mesh does not hold the blue carpet down at top of sluice, about 3-4mm gap, so as the water drops it lifts the carpet that few mill and off goes my hard work!

Please don't get me wrong, I have done a lot of research into this, but the one thing I missed was the little detail of the sluice! Angle is about 24-26% could be more!, and water is at 215-220ltpm if anything a bit slow?

I see on other sluices that there is a strip at top holding down mat/mesh and stoping things from going under?

Hey Mate
With the angle do you mean 24-26 deg or %? if % then that is too much you need to work on 1" fall per 1' sluice length then make fine adjustments from there
cheers
Lee

1 user likes this post: Brother

#19

HeadsUp
Member
Joined: 17 April 2013
Posts: 2,362
24 October 2013 09:55 am

Brother wrote:

This mob has it, if its the stuff your after?? Have been looking myself after the last few days!

http://aussiedetectors.webs.com/apps/we … 197?page=1

if you buy it direct from goldhog its around $ 36 per 36 inch long piece plus shipping , or $ 60 from the guys above


On a mission to rescue as many gold nuggets as i can before those poor souls get washed out to sea . GPX5000 smilemaker , self built highbanker and enthusiastic shovel

#20

HeadsUp
Member
Joined: 17 April 2013
Posts: 2,362
24 October 2013 09:57 am

rc62burke wrote:
Brother wrote:

Big thanks guys, ill try a few picks today? To show.

The riffle bar and mesh does not hold the blue carpet down at top of sluice, about 3-4mm gap, so as the water drops it lifts the carpet that few mill and off goes my hard work!

Please don't get me wrong, I have done a lot of research into this, but the one thing I missed was the little detail of the sluice! Angle is about 24-26% could be more!, and water is at 215-220ltpm if anything a bit slow?

I see on other sluices that there is a strip at top holding down mat/mesh and stoping things from going under?

Hey Mate
With the angle do you mean 24-26 deg or %? if % then that is too much you need to work on 1" fall per 1' sluice length then make fine adjustments from there
cheers
Lee

some styles of riffle can have as much as 3.5 inches fall per foot of sluice , goldhog mats use only 8 or 9 degrees fall but higher flow rate , angus mckirk sluices use a fairly low angle , around 1 inch per foot depending on water flow.


On a mission to rescue as many gold nuggets as i can before those poor souls get washed out to sea . GPX5000 smilemaker , self built highbanker and enthusiastic shovel

#21

Ramjet
Moderator
From: Maitland, NSW
Joined: 19 February 2013
Posts: 4,238
24 October 2013 10:09 am

Hey guys.
Check this thread re gold hog matting.
The stuff at bunnings and Clark rubber is identical... And cheaper.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com.au … hp?id=2157

Rod


Such is Life. Touch the Frog

#22

HeadsUp
Member
Joined: 17 April 2013
Posts: 2,362
24 October 2013 10:18 am

Ramjet wrote:

Hey guys.
Check this thread re gold hog matting.
The stuff at bunnings and Clark rubber is identical... And cheaper.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com.au … hp?id=2157

Rod

just to clarify , the stuff you linked to above is miners moss , gold hog matting is below

http://www.goldhog.com/sluice_mats.htm


On a mission to rescue as many gold nuggets as i can before those poor souls get washed out to sea . GPX5000 smilemaker , self built highbanker and enthusiastic shovel

#23

Tige
Member
Joined: 01 July 2013
Posts: 187
24 October 2013 10:20 am

sweet thanks brother, hav been looking for a while.. cheers , more mods to my hibanker it seems smile


Home made hibanker, trommel, Garrett pan set, am Alaskan + explorer sluices and a serious case of gold fever smile

1 user likes this post: Brother

#24

Ramjet
Moderator
From: Maitland, NSW
Joined: 19 February 2013
Posts: 4,238
24 October 2013 10:37 am

HeadsUp wrote:
Ramjet wrote:

Hey guys.
Check this thread re gold hog matting.
The stuff at bunnings and Clark rubber is identical... And cheaper.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com.au … hp?id=2157

Rod

just to clarify , the stuff you linked to above is miners moss , gold hog matting is below

http://www.goldhog.com/sluice_mats.htm

Thanks headsup. It sure is a different animal.


Such is Life. Touch the Frog

#25

gcause
TrackIT Software Pty Ltd
From: North Brisbane, QLD
Joined: 07 October 2013
Posts: 987
24 October 2013 10:48 am

What's everyone got against bubbles don't you realise that is what gets you the gold? It's when the bubbles form due to eddy currents generated by the riffles in the sluice that the gold (even flour gold) will drop out of solution and get trapped behind the riffles. Remember gold is 19 times heavier than water so the bubble won't carry it. You want you bubbles to be showing just behind your riffles as that's when you know you have your water flow right.

The other thing about a sluice is you should only have one form of matting across its length and get the water flow right for that matting. Seen lots of multi matt contraptions on forums lately that loose gold because they can't get water flow correct, the multi matting is one of the reasons the other is the angles they use but the bubbles will tell you if you have the right angle.


My equipment a Minelab GPX 5000, Minelab SD2200D, Garrett GTI 2500, High Banker, River Sluice, Gold Pan and a Troopy also a Site Sponsor: TrackIT Software Pty. Ltd. http://www.track-it.com.au

Contact Us - Privacy Policy - Terms Of Service
Top