The Most Powerful Pickup Ever made

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Things like that and strong man pulling competitions really make wonder if 1 million pounds on wheels is really 1 million pounds ?
So is the initial pull actually 1 million pounds ?
Weight is gravity , so downforce , where as pulling it foward on wheels doesnt seem the same to me, obviously 1 million pounds without wheels would have a huge resistance depending on the sutface it could be 4 million , imo.

Do we have any scientific minds ? That can answer ..
Pulling is generally measured in newton force ,i know that much.

My question is , if something on wheels weighs 1 million pounds does it take 1 million pounds of preasure to drag it ?

Great video , its a shame they didnt hook a conventional ute to it and see which pulled it quicker.

It's all about friction.
If it was an absolutely flat and frictionless surface then I could pull them in my thongs, but it would take a long/long while to build up any noticeable speed.
Clearly friction plays a major role, so it is this opposing force which must be overcome.
How much work went into ensuring a smooth/level track and well rounded and lubed train wheels?

I'm inclined to think that the load is only there to start the mass moving or accelerating ? After that the only load would be rolling resistance ie bearing friction wind etc
Good contrast is to look at the horsepower required to pull the sled in a tractor pull.
Good rig to have if you ever need to tow a train I guess :|

Can't wait to see what Tesla puts out. Musk says there pickup will carry a pickup. As for power, a Tesla recently smashed a lambo on a drag strip.

1564051138_tpu1.jpg

1564051138_tpu2.jpg

Well I know a Mercedes Unimog can legally Tow 100 Tons of rolling stock But this truck is towing 566.99 Tons, I have not doubts that the Unimog could move that lot,

As aussiefarmer and BW pointed out this is a rolling mass not dead weight but the one thing that proves to me that all that load was not heavy to move is the fact that in the video they were towing it using a Nylon Type Snatch Strap and not a very big one at that,

I have seen a Guy Tow a Jumbo Jet 747 weighing 400 Tons, Mind you the Guy was Huge,

to get any weight moving, all that's required is enough force to overcome inertia & the friction in the bearings & tyre/ground contact.
The weight does has a direct effect on this friction, but it doesn't actually take a massive force to get 100t rolling, hence why muscle man could pull a jumbo jet along the runway.
Electric motors can deliver near 100% torque just off zero rpm, hence they deliver great acceleration.

Ridge Runner said:
Well I know a Mercedes Unimog can legally Tow 100 Tons of rolling stock But this truck is towing 566.99 Tons, I have not doubts that the Unimog could move that lot,

As aussiefarmer and BW pointed out this is a rolling mass not dead weight but the one thing that proves to me that all that load was not heavy to move is the fact that in the video they were towing it using a Nylon Type Snatch Strap and not a very big one at that,

I have seen a Guy Tow a Jumbo Jet 747 weighing 400 Tons, Mind you the Guy was Huge,

We used to push 8 ton rail wagon with 3 or 4 guys. As you say... rolling mass is not dead weight.

It's not a rolling mass until it's moved and the initial movement of mass is where most is required
Cheating probably not the right word but by using an electric motor it has the ability to achieve its max torque at zero rpm. No conventional combustion engine can do that.
Max torque at zero rpm is a pretty handy advantage over a combustion engine that usually requires several thousand rpm to obtain the same .

It's quite amazing when you think about some of those US pickups come with somewhere around 700ftlbs of torque and they can legally Tow 22,000Lbs / 9979kgs that's an awful lot for a pickup to haul.

Good example of an ad to grab the attention of mugs :awful: :100: :poop: Diesel with an Auto box could do this without a problem

As has been said, electric motors develop huge torque particularly motors designed for cars which is how then can achieve impressive acceleration. My father in law has a little electric BMW, put your foot down from standing and it thumps you in the back like a Shelby Cobra, the acceleration is amazing. Once those wagons are rolling it takes nothing to keep the rolling, what the don't show is the brakeman in the caboose that stops them running into the F150 at the end of the black-top, yep :100: :poop:

If i remember correctly , one of these cargo tugs can tow 8 < 10 x aircargo dolleys which in turn can carry 8<10 aircargo pallets each loaded with 25<30 tons of frieght very easily.
Also from memory the tow hitches were only rated at about 2400 < 2800 kgs.
The video is nice to watch but its just a gimmick and thats about it.
Almost any 4x4 could have been used for the same result.
1564190233_6888c209-b876-4337-9c31-99c320a17391.jpg

My pet hate about electric vehicles is that they run out of power and then it is stuffed and they are not exactly cheap to charge but not expensive either, But you would of thought that they would have built them so they could recharge them selves like F1 Cars do.

one problem there RR, you can never recover as much energy as you put in. F1 use regenerative braking, whereby brake energy is converted back into electrical energy ... so only whilst braking. I think at least a couple of the e-cars on the market also have this.
I can imagine an e-4WD towing a van/camper around Australia, at 20kph so the array of solar panels on the roof of vehicle & van try to keep up with power needed :lol:
I think electric 4WDs have a way to go before becoming feasible for country travels, with or without a van.
Hydrogen is a more realistic option for long travels, being compatible (& comparable in power) with current petrol engines) & the CSIRO have this well advanced with Hydrogen from Ammonia membrane technology. (currently in real world trials here & overseas)
https://www.csiro.au/en/News/News-releases/2018/CSIRO-tech-accelerates-hydrogen-vehicle-future

The worst thing about these electric vehicles is that you still have pay someone else so you can drive it, With our current vehicles our money goes to the petrol companies and a big chunk to the government and with electric vehicles the cost of charging them goes to the power companies and the government,

Over here all hybrid cars did not have to pay Rego but I think that might of stopped now, If I ever owned one I would want to have my own off grid power supply system where I don't have to pay someone else for the privilege of driving.

In Theory it all sounds nice but it will never happen because then they will mostly likely start licencing Solar systems over s certain size as they do already.

aussiefarmer said:
Electric vehicles should be called coal powered , thats where alot of the power comes from.

Interestingly the RAA in SA just released weekly running costs of motor vehicles and the Tesla E Car was the highest at over $560 per week, mainly due to its poor depreciation and re sale value.

aussiefarmer said:
Electric vehicles should be called coal powered , thats where alot of the power comes from.

It's funny you should say that because every time someone starts on about my Truck I remind them where their electricity comes from and all the plastic and Nylon things that they have in their lives which are all made from the by products from refining fossil fuels. :Y:

I don't think these electric trucks will ever amount to anything for the average user. I was reading about a guy that was going to a certain campground this summer and was going to tow his Casita 17 ft SD with his electric vehicle which was rated to 5,000 lbs, well his range was around 400 miles not towing, he tested it hooked up, the range dropped like a rock to 100 miles or less which would cause him to need to recharge about 10+ times to get to the camgground 1200 miles away he was headed to. This would be impossible as there are not enough charge stations along his route to work. He gave up on the idea totally after testing locally hooked up.

Maybe if you wanted a truck to go to your local Lowes or Home Depot it might work if you stayed in town. Looks like its a no go for campers, hunters, fishermen, going long distance anyway. Personally I think thats all the electric cars are good for is urban driving local short runs. They will not take the place of internal combustion engines any time soon.

Latest posts