3 best GPX4500 coils for bushy area with very small gold

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Everyone

Just wondering if you could only have a choice of 3 search coils for a GPX 4500 and the areas were mostly bushy with some open area and the area only had very small sub gram gold what coils would you choose that were super sensitive and why?

Cheers All

cannot beat a sadie in cluttered terrain

the standard 11in? mono minelab is a great starter coil in the more accessible areas

then what ever you want to do broad acre looking for patches

enjoy and please always fill the hole, happy hunting

Even more confused now? :D

I don't know what the best would be, but I have used and found gold with the;
Minelab 10x5 DD
Coiltek 10x5 mono
Detech 15x8 mono
You can't go past an elliptical in tight scrub. These coils dont hit the hip pocket quite so hard either.

If you think a more expensive coil will give you a smidge more depth, then take a rake with you, problem solved :lol:

As mentioned above, don't under rate the Minelab 11 mono, still a great all round coil

LORD said:
I agree, 8X6 sadie, also a 14x9 NF evo for more open.
Plus possibly the 9" coiltek elite which hasn't been mentioned yet.

So I've seen a few comments from user's of coiltek coils saying that there quite bump sensitive is this indeed the case?? as I originally had a Gold Monster that was touch sensitive and it drove me crazy!! Eventually after sending it back twice they'd fixed the issue, so I was obviously a bit concerned about some comments I'd read about the coiltek coils.

Cheers

I've only owned the one Coiltek coil and it was... It was faulty though and detecting the lead. They sent me a new coil which now has an updated lead... no more problems.
As Ded Driver has mentioned, lead movement can also give you falsing at times, and for that reason I have been taping the lower part of all my coil leads to the shaft rather than just using the Velcro strap.

Guys, may i ask, why would you have both of say the Sadie and another coil of similar size? I get the elliptical against the conventional round and a DD for hot ground but i have noticed some have a rather large range of coils. Could you not just run 3 elliptical monos of various sizes covering your range and a medium sized DD to cover hot ground and have basically all sizes and depths covered? I cant see there being that great a difference between abilities when mostly you are guessing whats present under the surface.

I found a very tiny piece of metal shard yesterday at 4 with the 11 commander mono on the QED thinking that it could find smaller at a shallower depth. I understand the likes of the Sadie can find smaller but would you risk finding larger deeper for something so small?

Cheers.

hey Aussiedigs, what you suggest is logical & some people do that, then others (like me :p ) like to have an assortment.
Its an interesting fact that on some days your favourite coil is noisy (emi, hot ground, etc) & another similar size &/or brand of coil works better.
Its wierd, but it happens.

For me the smaller size coil is about tight access rather than finding smaller gold. Depending on your settings they will still have good depth capabilities.

They are also good in trashy areas when there are multiple targets close together, especially when running the DD with some iron reject.

Ded Driver said:
hey Aussiedigs, what you suggest is logical & some people do that, then others (like me :p ) like to have an assortment.
Its an interesting fact that on some days your favourite coil is noisy (emi, hot ground, etc) & another similar size &/or brand of coil works better.
Its wierd, but it happens.

Hey DD, i dont judge people spending big on their chosen hobbies. My wife wonders why i would want 5 trailbikes and a roadbike! (A mate has over 32!)

ctxkid said:
Aussiedigs said:
My wife wonders why i would want 5 trailbikes and a roadbike! (A mate has over 32!)
i have 11 and heading for 12 when my new DR comes home :cool:
toooo many toys CTXKid
not enough time to play with them all.
A Harem of Wives would be better value :power: :playful:

Ded Driver said:
ctxkid said:
Aussiedigs said:
My wife wonders why i would want 5 trailbikes and a roadbike! (A mate has over 32!)
i have 11 and heading for 12 when my new DR comes home :cool:
toooo many toys CTXKid
not enough time to play with them all.
A Harem of Wives would be better value :power: :playful:
too many toys... :8 :( never
as for the harem......i have enough worries with 1 ;)

DD i just have to retire again , instead of 9hrs a day at work i can play with my toys :perfect:

i have some cool toys :Y:

Latest posts