4x4 Air Compressors?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hows it going guys and gals?
Looking at getting an air compressor for the kit.
Having a look at these ones at the moment.
Can anyone way in?

1563536185_ozito.jpg

- Bunnings: $35 (Ozito)

1563536185_oztrail_tanami.jpg

- Tentworld: $100 (Oztrail Tanami)

1563536185_xtm.jpg

- BCF: $135 (XTM 160L/Minute)

Read an article in a 4X4 magazine yesterday while waiting to pick up my truck. Didn't check the date but the info and tests they did on compressors highlighted a lot of inflated claims ;) on performance. Poor air flow under pressure was one of the biggest problems. None of these were tested, all were big name brands with prices ranging from around $200 upto around $800. Duty cycles, temp cutout, time to fill a standard 4x4 wheel, a lot of hot air in print :(

You get what you pay for. I have an arb one that is 10 years old now and still going strong. Milwalkie do a battery operated one that's not bad. Bush ranger ones are good also.

A friend of mine has the bcf one and it works very well.

Yeah so I just had a look at the one Balmain Bob put up and that seems to be exactly the same as the XTM one.
Might be a goer!

Having tested a few out over the years, Out of the 3 you posted I'd buy the Orange one, in Pic 3, You don't want anything with a Cigar plug on it because it means Two things, 1) it is not man enough for the Job and 2) if it is powerful then it will either blow the Vehicles fuses or Burn out the Vehicles Wiring,

What ever you buy make sure it has Crocodile Clips on the Power leads, I use the ARB Hi Power Single Portable and I liked it so much that I also bought the ARB Twin Portable.

Here is the ShootOut by Mark Allen from 4x4 Australia and Which Car showing the Video and the Review,

Hope that helps,

J.

https://www.whichcar.com.au/gear/electronics-gadgets/12-volt-air-compressor-comparison

Cheers guys!
Had a bit of a look around and I am thinking I might get the orange XTM one, the XTM looks as though its a re-badged "thumper" (same flow and pressure rates, same piston diameter, same amount of holes on the handle hahaha and the circuit breakers even in the same spot)
I've heard good things about the thumpers.
As long as it sees me out till the end of the season I'll be a happy man.
Thanks again for the input :Y:

Muza said:
Cheers guys!
Had a bit of a look around and I am thinking I might get the orange XTM one, the XTM looks as though its a re-badged "thumper" (same flow and pressure rates, same piston diameter, same amount of holes on the handle hahaha and the circuit breakers even in the same spot)
I've heard good things about the thumpers.
As long as it sees me out till the end of the season I'll be a happy man.
Thanks again for the input :Y:

That One should more than do the job, I bought the ARB Hi Power single and then I wanted to know what the Big Twin was all about but to be honest I prefer using the single, The big one weights about 33 Lbs and it is expensive, yes it is fast but unless a person is running 37" Tyres or needs to inflate Tractor tyres or Semi Tyres then the single will do the job As will the Orange one you posted, That one is the best all rounder.

J.

Whichever unit you end up buying, make sure you're aware of the duty cycle.
I've had one fail on me due to overwork, fortunately other vehicles compressor filled the last tyre.
Make sure the unit gets sufficient rest between tyres to cool down.

I have a Thorny Devil TYPHOON, 160 L/Min
looks near identical to the XTM (different colour scheme) & probably made by the same manufacturer.
I reckon that Thumper from 4WD Supacentre that B.Bob put a link to is probably the same unit too.
The reinforced rubber hose is more durable & a hellova lot better than the cheap crappy coiled plastic crap ones that come with a lot of units.

Before you buy consider where and how often you may use it.
Chances are most of what's on offer is Chinese made with different badges, so be careful. Dollars saved means nothing when you are out in the bush
with multiple punctures.
There's been times when I have been under siege from multiple punctures across various deserts particularly the great Victoria and the Gibson, and these cheap Chinese compressors would of burnt to a crisp trying to keep up the air required.
There has been other times where I have had to air up and down many times a day and to stand around waiting for the tyre to inflate while the cheap piece of crap takes 20 minutes a tyre does your head in. This is typical of beach work along the South coast from Esperance to the Nullarbor or central Simpson work.
One time getting myself in trouble North of Meeka I did in 6 tyres with multiple side wall tears and used multiple plugs ( 20 in hole) just to limp back to town (70kms away).
My compressor worked overtime that day.
I'm not going to name brands but most of what's been mentioned here with the exception of one or two, meets the category of cheap and nasty.
Caveat Emptor, spend once, spend wisely.
End sermon.

GT :cool: O:)

That one looks the go Nightjar!
I have a Slime (26A), but needs a 10min rest after the second or third tyre depending on ambient temps and pressure differential.
I use an Anderson plug on the rear of the car to power it, as I also need to extend power back to a van.
If I only need to air-up for a short distance (say <50km), then I'll leave the tyres low, and travel slowly (<80kmph).

Always check the condition of the air hose...

Seen it too many times where they go to use and the hose has perished. Does not matter that the pump is still going strong - no hose = no air in the tyre.

NOTE: Those coloured plastic curly hoses are the worse as they just crumble but even the better hoses can fail over time and if subject to petrol and or other chemicals and heat - then they will fail.

Nightjar said:
Bought this one 15 years ago. We swap to our old spare 750/16 wheels and bush bash when we are at our camp. Get free old tyres from the local Tyre Power, the tubes have more patches than tube so needless to say the compressor has been worked hard but is still reliable after all this time.

https://www.motoquipe.com.au/buy/bu...rVk5X8N0i4Hu2SXFKSbq2IVucnsOp6j8aAhipEALw_wcB

This was a great compressor that held its own for many years against the bigger brands.
Since bushranger was taken over by ARB and ARB went public its all been about profit.
Bushranger isn't what it was but its a lot better than most else on this page so far.
I had one for many years.

GT

AngerManagement said:
NOTE: Those coloured plastic curly hoses are the worse as they just crumble but even the better hoses can fail over time and if subject to petrol and or other chemicals and heat - then they will fail.

AM the BushRanger mentioned above has the coiled plastic, in the 15 years I crimped the end once, just cut 20mm or so and refitted. ***Always treat my gear with respect and pack it away in supplied bag.*** Same goes for all your equipment, abuse it and lose it. ;)

BigWave said:
I use an Anderson plug on the rear of the car to power it, as I also need to extend power back to a van.

Same here BW, however also have an anderson near caravan battery box, can check tyres while the van is parked up. No need to bring vehicle up close.
**Also when the van is not in use I lift the van onto wheel stands and shade the tyres exposed to the sun.**

Latest posts