Two Old blokes stuffing around in the bush

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jaros said:
Those two are moderators--don't laugh!!

Yeah Now you mention it I can see the resemblance LOL

Jaros

1563214491_jaros.jpg

Waldorf

1563214550_muppewaldorf.jpg

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :perfect: :Y:

Like Mark said , We only talk about the job at hand. I didn`t even know you bought a pub. What are you calling it ? The old codger`s arms ?

What i said before about cutting down trees to get more light for the miners , is just the start of the way we think.

It is a line of thought we get when we spot something in the bush . I love finding old miner`s camps and it is not always obvious when you come across one.

Generally there is an open area of at least 10 square metres ,but alot of that ground area could have trees or a clearing . But those trees may consist of very old red or blue gums mixed with pine trees or stringybark or wattle that are thin and may be only 20 years` old. What does that mean ? It means the thinner trees were not there in the gold rush days, but the older ones were . Do the thin trees follow a certain path ? How high are they ? Can we estimate their age to determine when this place was last mined or worked by prospectors ? Are the newer ones planted in such a way that it indicates there was a roadway there once ? Where did that road go to ? Is there a creek further up from where we are ? Is there a puddler over the hill ? Where did they process the quartz in this area ? Are we going to stumble on some workings we missed in our research or were never documented ? Was this a populated spot where miners gathered away from the mine itself ? This looks like a good place to pitch a tent . Bugger , I just found another projectile . But it is 6 inches in the ground. Been there a long time. What is that big quartz rock doing here ? Has it got colouring in it ? Where did it come from ? Is this hill man made or natural ? I see round stones in the middle of the forest here. Why ? Is it an old river or creek ? Sure looks like it with the way the dirt is washed into the lower part of the gully. Look, over there, the creek has been diverted by the miners. I think that large round circle in the ground is where a cyanide tank used to be. I see bedrock down below where the miners dug to find the reef.
I could go on ,but this is what happens when we go into the scrub looking for signs to point us to the gold or gives us an idea of what happened in the area we chose on that particular day.
FOZ

Greenhornet_au said:
Couple of old blokes.....

how about - "Lost and Found"

:)

If you want to lose something, give it to me. When sluicing on sunday , i passed Mark the bucket and the scoop fell into the water and disappeared under the murky water while travelling downstream at a rate of knots. Luckily it stopped at a fallen tree.

To add to JS comment, the oldies didnt leave much rubbish, picking up the odd nail. Its more the 50s on. Found the other day, what I call a ghost gum, nearest road is about 1km away, the only one for miles around, its all common gum, so its about 80/100 years old, big tree, Why is it there, just about 100 metres away is a old fire place, can see the difference in the soil when take off the over burden, so meaning to story. Take your time, read the rocks and everything and asking yourself, what happened here years ago. Thats where you find the Gold

Ward69 said:
Its funny watching you idiots falling over yourselves trying to come with best comments
No offence meant mate, just a bit of light hearted humor. In all seriousness Im 47 with a body thats going on 67 so if you guys are out there living the dream well done to both of you. Look forward to reading the adventures.

Yesterday i decided to get off my backside and build this sluice i had been wanting to build for ages.

I had a pair of aluminium checker plate side steps off an old landcruiser i once owned and saw the potential for a sluice in them.

With the idea in my head , i bought 2 dream mats and some nuts and bolts . All the other stuff to make it was at home ,so the total cost
from start to finish was $119.

No one in ballarat had any miner`s moss in stock this week ,so i had to make do with this non-slip matting stuff i had.

3 hours later with the use of an angle grinder, drill and occasionally the tape measure , it was done . I like to measure things by eye and estimate
where to cut things. Not always ,but i`m old fashioned and this doesn`t have to pass a roadworthy or Australian standards !!!
The bolts on the wingnuts only just fit ,so i have to buy longer ones and put the miner`s mat in when the stock arrives ,as well as some mesh i have in my shed to put on top of it.
It will end up costing about $150 all up when it`s totally finished .

1563667308_sl2.jpg

1563667325_sl1.jpg

The plan was to blitz the creek today with Mark and i running 2 sluices ,but the death of a close friend last night has put me out out of the game .
Mark has had to call in someone else off the interchange bench to fill the spot in the team.

He is out there now ,as we speak ,so i hope you find plenty , Mark.

FOZ

Nice build Foz, sorry about the circumstances stopping you from giving her a test run today.
Eyeballing things in a build is good fun, but sometimes it can be frustrating when you fudge up.
Cheers

just starting said:
Yesterday i decided to get off my backside and build this sluice i had been wanting to build for ages.

I had a pair of aluminium checker plate side steps off an old landcruiser i once owned and saw the potential for a sluice in them.

With the idea in my head , i bought 2 dream mats and some nuts and bolts . All the other stuff to make it was at home ,so the total cost
from start to finish was $119.

No one in ballarat had any miner`s moss in stock this week ,so i had to make do with this non-slip matting stuff i had.

3 hours later with the use of an angle grinder, drill and occasionally the tape measure , it was done . I like to measure things by eye and estimate
where to cut things. Not always ,but i`m old fashioned and this doesn`t have to pass a roadworthy or Australian standards !!!
The bolts on the wingnuts only just fit ,so i have to buy longer ones and put the miner`s mat in when the stock arrives ,as well as some mesh i have in my shed to put on top of it.
It will end up costing about $150 all up when it`s totally finished .

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/14279/1563667308_sl2.jpg
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/14279/1563667325_sl1.jpg

The plan was to blitz the creek today with Mark and i running 2 sluices ,but the death of a close friend last night has put me out out of the game .
Mark has had to call in someone else off the interchange bench to fill the spot in the team.

He is out there now ,as we speak ,so i hope you find plenty , Mark.

FOZ

1563684471_4b10ec50-8a7b-4600-9bc9-c532af985d5b.jpg

Good stuff, Mark.

How did the apprentice go ?

Thanks, Manpa. That`s 3 mates in 15 months. One to smoking cancer , one to leukemia and one to emphysema.

Back into it again this morning.

About 2 degrees outside so the best cure for that is to get wet and get busy in the creek.

Predicting a good day on the sluices and lots of dirt processed with plenty of colour.

I even found a pair of good gumboots with good grip to use today. Check yours for holes this time , Mark !!!!! Bloody kids.

A good start. Went to warm the car up and a crow has shat all over my door handle.

But, i did get to feed 4 of the buggers this morning when i first got up out of bed and seeing 4 crows is supposed to be a good thing.

You wanna see them run when i threw the bread out to them. Like little kids to a bag of lollies.

QUOTE ;

Divination & Superstition
A crow flying in from the east or south was considered favourable. ... Finding two crows, however, means good luck. (Three crows mean health, and four crows mean wealth.) Yet spotting five crows means sickness is coming, and witnessing six crows means death is nearby."Jan 12, 2019

Had 6 crows last saturday when i lost a very close friend ,so there is some truth in this belief . Scary. Very scary.

Nothing much to report from today`s proceedings. Mark got a few little bits ( 11 , i think at last count ) and i only got a small handful of fine stuff . Not much sun shining where we were ,so hard to even see what was in the pan.
Really hard work when the creek isn`t running . I worked 1/2 a mile further up the creek than Mark and struggled to get a good flow of water with any pressure in it .
I had to throw buckets of water down the sluice . Not ideal ,but that`s how it was. On top of that we hiked up and down a few hills to get there and back ,but it is all good exercise. No complaints ,there.

Thanks for today ,Mark.

We might get back into swinging the detectors again ,soon.

FOZ

just starting said:
Nothing much to report from today`s proceedings. Mark got a few little bits ( 11 , i think at last count ) and i only got a small handful of fine stuff . Not much sun shining where we were ,so hard to even see what was in the pan.
Really hard work when the creek isn`t running . I worked 1/2 a mile further up the creek than Mark and struggled to get a good flow of water with any pressure in it .
I had to throw buckets of water down the sluice . Not ideal ,but that`s how it was. On top of that we hiked up and down a few hills to get there and back ,but it is all good exercise. No complaints ,there.

Thanks for today ,Mark.

We might get back into swinging the detectors again ,soon.

FOZ

Took these photos

Latest posts