Call me crazy- Venturing into MD- bought a Minelab 3030

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Call me crazy- Venturing into MD- bought a Minelab 3030.

Never MD before so I have no idea what possessed me. I did start of looking at the entry level machines and then got carried away. Anyways its done now, I envision a very very steep learning curve and requiring lots of practice. I read that you can initially use the factory settings while you learn the machine (I hope that "they" are right). I bought the Garrett Pro AT pointer.

I was hoping to MD just inside the surf line and also in the usual places on land for relics and coins. More interested in the history and thrill of finding things than making any money. So do you mind if I ask some questions?

1.I have a range of spades from fossicking and thought that maybe I need a steel beach scoop. I was just gonna use one of my foldup spades and a sieve. Do you recommend a steel beach scoop? Would it interfere with the signal?

2.Should I buy a harness as I read that the 3030 is weighty and hard on the arms and back?

3. I didn't see coil covers, do I need them or should I wrap the coil in cloth tape, or do nothing?

4.Suggested locations for weekend MD, is there a good resource (I have the miners licence from fossicking). I live in Melbourne Metro.

Thanks for your help

1. Beach scoop will make live so much easier. A good SITO stainless steel scoop is the way to go imo.
2. You could it will support your frame. I dont bother I have arms like cannons. :power:
3. You can use tape, lots of people do, but in general it prevents false signals, generally whilst in the dirt and dust though. I havent bothered but I am definitely considering it.
4. Sorry Im in Sydney cant give you any advice here. Could be plenty of underworld jewellery buried though!

Awesome hobby, Im reasonably new to it myself. For me it was about keeping up the walking but know its become much much more. Your in the right place though derby, lots of knowledge here, welcome to a great hobby and to PA. :perfect: youve bought a brilliant piece of equipment congratulations!

Thanks for your advice Fossiker- much appreciated. I will look at the scoop and maybe have a wander over to bunnings on the weekend.
My arms are like spaghetti so I might look at the harness thingy. I am generally a very unfit individual lol

You could have a go at making your own simple beach scoop to get you started derby.

1562506066_60cc206f-fb26-4b25-a8d1-40d2e2beb972.jpg

Congrats on the purchase Derby. Fossikers advice is spot on. If you take his advice and get a stainless beach scoop, get one with hex holes....there is less metal between the holes and the sand sieves through a lot easier. The other benefit of a beach scoop is that you drag it behind and you can see where youve been when gridding a section of beach.
I never use skid plates on the beach. I tried it initially and was surprised how much black sand got in between it.

Thanks Rustynails.

I might just have to buy a scoop- I am not very handy. Didn't think about hole shapes but good point, makes a lot of sense.

Didn't think about the beach sand element either when thinking of taping the coil or getting coil plates. Something to think about

Before you go the harness, take the 3030 for a good spin.

My daughter Kato was used to an ACE 250 which is pretty light, and I upgraded her too the CTX3030 for $1200 (she did a good job at school)
and she swings it all day.

I mean all day!!!

I get tired with the ace250 and she will still keep going, I think it is her technique that helps her - she is 14 but been using it since she was 12.
6 hours detecting is nothing for her.

1 coin or button, she is happy. ;)

you will be happy with the 3030 once you spend a bit of time with it start with factory settings they will serve you well good luck

Greenhornet_au said:
Before you go the harness, take the 3030 for a good spin.
My daughter Kato was used to an ACE 250 which is pretty light, and I upgraded her too the CTX3030 for $1200 (she did a good job at school)
and she swings it all day.
I mean all day!!!
I get tired with the ace250 and she will still keep going, I think it is her technique that helps her - she is 14 but been using it since she was 12.
6 hours detecting is nothing for her.
1 coin or button, she is happy. ;)
Crikey that's a nice price you picked the 3030 up for ... figuring was 2nd hand, but still a great price.
ohhhh to have the resilience of a teenage years again :argh: don't we wish

Latest posts