You are not logged in.

• Register to access all forum features  

karelian65
05 July 2019 05:13 pm

Often asked which machine is better, if it is depth and sensitivity then in my experience the Pro wins. Under all conditions and targets, the Pro wins. Raw depth and power, the Pro wins. No ifs, not buts. Add ease of ground balance, the option of hip mounting, battery life, sweep speed.. Again the Pro wins.
So why do I have both? The SL is an excellent beginners machine, it is quiet and easy to operate, under all conditions if running in Low. It has decent depth and is an honest performer. It has a smooth threshold unlike the Pro, it is even more resistance to EMI and it is nicely balanced and light, perfect for kids or the elderly. Air travel is a realistic option due to the battery pack, ie No lithium etc. That smooth threshold deserves another mention since it is a thing of beauty on the SL. I use the SL for parks, sports fields, places you would normally use a VLF machine. It works well and goes deep enough. It is a stealth PI since it looks like a VLF, doesn't upset onlookers etc.

My advice since I've been asked is go for a second hand Pro over a new or used SL or SPP. Build a couple new battery packs and you are good to go. The Whites machines are superb beach machines and competent nugget hunters. If you only want to prospect then Minelab wins, no arguments. The Whites are more versatile in my experience, given the High, All and Low conductivity modes. So if you want a machines for coins, relics, the beach and the goldfields then the Pro is my recommendation. A clean used machine is an excellent value and very capable.

Serious prospectors are well served by Minelab, for those of us who do it all, Whites had a decent performing Pulse Induction machine that is very versatile and affordable. It can disc iron and I can set it up for the beach to cover lots of ground and clean up. No hair pins or hooks at a foot plus for me. The ability to get decent depth, some ability to reject iron is something the Tdi series machines do well and makes it a real winner on the beach.., parks, and the goldfields.

My opinions, since I was asked.

All the best,
Karelian

7 users like this post: grubstake, kicksome, Ded Driver, mbasko, Dolphin, Ship of fools, Rustynails

Rustynails
10 July 2019 06:36 pm

Excellent unbiased comparison. Been using a Pro for a number of years and always been curious about the SL. It seems to have a lot of devoted users. Food for thought. thumbsup

Toysandthings
Toys and things
Toys and things
03 August 2019 02:04 pm

The TDI SL is available with a more gold hunting capable orientated coil on it now.

They labelled it the special edition.

Will see how people like using it soon.

Swing a detector, Radio control racing or flying.. http://www.Toys-Things.com.au

karelian65
04 August 2019 01:49 am

1564843026_img_0526_-_copy_edited.jpg
Yep I've got the latest version of the Tdi SL, the Special Edition. Comes with the Miner John coil and that lovely desert tan colour. Love the new handle and paint work, usually use the larger 14 x 8 mono coil made by Miner John for beach work, fantastic balance and weight. The initial Tdi Pro VS Tdi SL opinions are based on the Special Edition SL vs an older Pro. The Special Edition is a lovely machine and I've not developed buyers remorse, it is my urban/beach PI and loaner machine when out prospecting. Toysandthings, the Special Edition is the latest version of the SL, any tweeks or mods done by Whites will be on it, like I have said, a nice version of the SL but still outperformed by the older Pro.

All the best,
Karelian smile

Last edited by karelian65 (04 August 2019 01:51 am)

3 users like this post: grubstake, Ship of fools, uttu kaos

Toysandthings
Toys and things
Toys and things
07 October 2019 01:26 pm

The Whites TDI SL, someone took one apart and checked its electronics and as of 2018 possibly back to 2016, a couple of mods are now standard inside improving sensitivity. The sweepspeed mod however was not made on those modeld that had been opened up. No one has checked 2019 model for the ss mod. The new coil might also improve sensitivity.

We do sell them at a great price tho.

Currently comes with an extra coil.

Looking into the higher power packs for them.

Swing a detector, Radio control racing or flying.. http://www.Toys-Things.com.au

uttu kaos
08 October 2019 09:32 pm

Im thinking about getting the14×9 miner john mono for my sl..just for when i head into my camp spot on the mary river in gympie..theres gold there somewhere.. big_smile

Last edited by uttu kaos (08 October 2019 09:33 pm)

If at first you dont succeed, to hell with it...wheres my beer...

Contact Us - Privacy Policy - Terms Of Service

View Desktop Site