how big a pump should i use for a 8 inch dream mat

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
hay just wondering how much water I should run through my 8-inch sluice with dream mat in it I currently have two 1100gph bilge pumps and need to know if it will be enough.

Hi, I use a 3000gph bilge pump - works well on the recirc set-up and also highbanker... I like the quiet.

I've also got a 1.5 inch Thornado pump.

Not sure that what you've got will be enough but others can confirm.

I'm pretty sure that the dream mat info on pumps versus size are somewhere in the gold rat engineering website

I use a 3.0HP Chinese petrol powered water pump through a powered head for my 8" dream mat and have to run it flat out through a 38mm layflat hose on about a 2 meter head. Frankly I find it annoyingly noisy so a battery powered pump does sound inviting, however it would have its own set of problems. A decent size battery would be quite heavy and you would need a good charger if you intend to stay out for several days.

jamiealdridge said:
Hi, I use a 3000gph bilge pump - works well on the recirc set-up and also highbanker... I like the quiet.

I've also got a 1.5 inch Thornado pump.

Not sure that what you've got will be enough but others can confirm.

Perfect setup for 8inch

Anolphart said:
I use a 3.0HP Chinese petrol powered water pump through a powered head for my 8" dream mat and have to run it flat out through a 38mm layflat hose on about a 2 meter head. Frankly I find it annoyingly noisy so a battery powered pump does sound inviting, however it would have its own set of problems. A decent size battery would be quite heavy and you would need a good charger if you intend to stay out for several days.

You wouldnt need a huge battery. Run solar. You dont need the battery at the sluice site. Run cable of a decent gauge.

Its not as unviable as some people think.

Latest posts