A Reliable Alternative to Geovic?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,

As much as I love Geovic I find that it has many problems on a regular basis, most often on weekends where you have to wait until Monday before they fix it again.

Once again I've found myself with a whole rainy day to plan my next trips to the GT in advance, and once again Geovic is on the blink.

Are there any other websites for Victoria that are at least equal to Geovic in detail (but more reliable), that anyone can point me in the direction of please?

Thanks in advance,

DS

Problem I'm having Redfin is this, Tulleys maps are great for a general indication of old leads and workings etc, Geovic goes further by giving you things like faults, contours, veins/reefs, and a whole heap more other stuff. However, neither gives you any idea of Regolith/ Soil depth. Go to National map and it shows you Regolith/Soil depth, percentage of clay at various depths etc, but it's crap for giving you tracks and small roads, and doesn't give you any indication of reefs/veins etc. Further, it gives you bugger all information regarding watercourses as it leaves many of the smaller tributaries off. So, back to google earth etc., etc. When you compare surface geology between Geovic and National Map, the different Surface Geology types are often barely comparable in shape and coverage/ location. It would just be nice to know if there was one reliable website or software available that has the ability to show all of these things together, without having to try to go from one to the other to overlay mismatched map scales to put all of the information together.

Add to that Geovics pathetic reliability. They got the thing up and running again today (Monday) after it spat the dummy yet again on the weekend (that seems par for the course), when I was in the middle of planning my next trip to the GT. Everything looked great again until just after 5pm today when I finished work for the day and thought I could go back to where I left off on the weekend, when it goes down again! It's run by the god-damned pinko public service so it won't be up and running again until tomorrow morning after they've had their tea and cookies and looked out of the window for another half an hour or so.

I've had enough of it and I'm happy to drop my coin on something that is reliable and offers more.

DS

Latest posts