Electric / Cordless / Battery Powered Chainsaw recommendations

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Has any one got one cordless chainsaw ,what brand, how does it go ,how long does the battery last just thinking about buying one the aeg looks good but expensive $670 plus $270 for a spare battery thanks john :)

Just a quick question, what are you going to be using it for? I have had a cordless Chainsaws in the past and they are about as usfull as a wet paper bag unless you are cutting very dry and very small wood. If you spend good money and get a Stihl as they are a 36 volt system and have the power but you are looking at $800 plus for this system but they are very good just like all the Stihl products.

Sorry just researched the AEG is the one you are looking at the 58 volt version I thought you were looking at the 18 volt ones? have not owned any AEG stuff so don't know sorry but have owned the Stihl and can vouch for them.

I bought an "ego" from Masters, it's a 56v system, came as a kit , 1 battery, charger and saw and I bought an extra battery.
For what I want it's excellent, the battery's run for a reasonable time and They recharge in about 30 minutes off of a 600watt inverter in the car. I've cut up red gum fence posts with out any drama, but you must keep the chain sharp
pros.
1/ very light
2/ No fuel to carry or mix (only bar oil )
3/ Very quiet, ( national parks ? )
4/ Fast recharge of battery
5/ Great for a bit of trimming/pruning at home

Cons.
1/ Not very big, certainly not for serious wood collecting or track clearing

Yes it is the 58v I was looking at ,most of the major companies have cordless chain saws now husqy ,still, echo and there are other such as ego redback victa Ryobi Makita and more just do not want to wast my money on a dud thanks regards john

xcvator said:
I bought an "ego" from Masters, it's a 56v system, came as a kit , 1 battery, charger and saw and I bought an extra battery.
For what I want it's excellent, the battery's run for a reasonable time and They recharge in about 30 minutes off of a 600watt inverter in the car. I've cut up red gum fence posts with out any drama, but you must keep the chain sharp
pros.
1/ very light

Cons.

N0. 5 is the only viable use imo if your talking hard wood and try using anything other than a combustion engine your wasting your time.

RM Outback said:
xcvator said:
pros.
1/ very light

Cons.

N0. 5 is the only viable use imo if your talking hard wood and try using anything other than a combustion engine your wasting your time.
You obviously haven't used a good electric chainsaw

A good chainsaw would be a battery system of two batteries together that have the "ah" power in them.
A 3ah battery is good but won't last long as a 6ah battery will.

Hi Old hand,

I purchased a Makita 36v saw about 6 months ago. I use it when camping. Quite often you will pick up a long branch or log in a camp area or on the side of the road when you pull up for a break while travelling. The saw allows you to cut material quietly and without upsetting the people around you. I have cut hardwood up to 8 inches thick without any issues. As with all saws, a sharp chain is the key. I can cut enough firewood on one charge to last a few days at the camp site.

I chose the Makita as it uses 2 x 18v 4ah batteries. These batteries come in handy for running other cordless tools when the saw is not in use. A double charger completes the kit.

Cheers

Les

Les I have a friend that is going to lend me his Makita so that will help me ,I think a well established brand is the best way to go regards john

AEG HAS A GOOD ELECTRIC CHAIN SAW.. only going off reviews but I have all the aeg 18v tools there's super tough I would think the chainsaw would be just as good

Who needs a chainsaw
200.gif

200.gif

I'm a small engine mechanic and Husqvarna and Stihl dealer here in norcal. In my opinion either brand is great what's more important is fit and function. As mentioned above go with a local dealer that can service or rent pair it, not all dealers carry both Stihl and husky. As for echo and another throw away, draft brands ( Homelite, Poulan craftsman and so on) these saw are so cheap more than often the cost more to fix than the cost of a new saw. If you don't have a saw currently I would recommend no less than a 20" saw. I a Stihl I'd go with the ms261 it's their 20" pro model. I husky the 545 would be their 20" pro saw. If you chose to go with the consumer model I would go with the Stihl ms291 still a 20" saw (Keep in these are max bar lengths for these models). Also, keep in mind that most of the new Stihl and husky saw have automatically adjusting carbs, Stihl's are called m-tronic and husky is called autotune. Stihl's m-tronic carbs have been working well I have many in the field both pro's and consumer's. Husky's autotune carbs have had problems in some models the husky 545 I mentioned earlier is the only one that the bugs seem to be worked out of, I would stay away from other husky autotune models for a while. Hope this helps.

Just ask Goldtruck or Patrick1.... they used a Makita twin battery job on some 6 logs at the recent long weekend meetup. Wow, certainly impressed me with the performance. Its going to be my next acquisition. :power:

1553078188_55498094_723266468075180_1182470338437447680_o.jpg

i ended up buying an 18V ryobi brushless from bunnings , cuts fast enough for track clearing or firewood , the pile was cut with a 4ah and 6ah battery on their first charge .
I bought the pack that comes with the 4ah and charger ( about $279 ) , but also bought the pack with the 6ah with super fast charger. ( $199 i think )

I like the 18v because im only burning one battery at a time.

the 6ah still had a bit left in it at the end .

ive read the batteries get a bit better after 3-4 charges .

hasnt had a problem so far , secret is not to try and " push " it through the wood , just let it cut its own way through .

I have the Ego brushless, same as Xcavator, brilliant machine. On a battery does approx 22 cuts of 10" / 12" redgum. (I have 2 batteries).
Perfect for camping.
No fuel to mix, no smell etc.
If I take the trailer out in wood collection mode I take the husky.

There's mention of keeping the blade sharp. I've seen the sharpeners at the store. Is it a big deal to sharpen the chain? Does it take quite a while?

Looks like a fiddly job, but a necessary one...

Latest posts