TDI lower shaft

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a problem that somebody may be able to assist me with.
I have a TDI Pro Oz that I use for beach hunting. I usually run the std coil most of the time but have a few Nugget Finder coils that I use for specific locations. I use a couple of rubber spacers to fit the NF coils to the Whites shaft but Ive never been happy with the fit. Ive read that some folks use a Minelab lower shaft for this purpose, but my question is which Minelab shaft and will I need to modify it?

Thanks mbasko, thats a sweet setup he has.
Unfortunately I still have my PA training wheels and dont have access to PM or email.
No rush, Im sure there are plenty of members who have crossed this bridge before.

:) ahh yeah didn't notice that.
Hopefully karelian65 or someone else who can let you know for sure checks in :Y:
It'd definitely be the GPX lower shaft but not sure of the fit or if it needs modding as such - may need a bit of a sand down or something?

Yes, Id be surprised if the spring clips are the same which shouldnt be a huge obstacle, but mainly concerned about shaft diameter....

Yes, Id be surprised if the spring clips are the same which shouldnt be a huge obstacle, but mainly concerned about shaft diameter....

Rustynails said:
Unfortunately I still have my PA training wheels and dont have access to PM or email.
No rush, Im sure there are plenty of members who have crossed this bridge before.

You do have email option and so does karelian65 :Y: all you need to do is tap on karelian65 's email tab and type your query :Y: if karelian65 is still active you should receive a response. Go into the link mbasko put up and you will see the email function for karelian65 :Y: good luck.

RM Outback said:
Rustynails said:

You do have email option and so does karelian65 :Y: all you need to do is tap on karelian65 's email tab and type your query :Y: if karelian65 is still active you should receive a response. Go into the link mbasko put up and you will see the email function for karelian65 :Y: good luck.

Are you sure? Im starting to feel like a Luddite... I cant find an email tab anywhere on any page.....Are all functions available on an iPad?

Yes, Ive been toying with the idea of replacing the whole upper shaft. Mine developed movement in the upper joint and no amount tightening could fix it so I filled the connection with epoxy. Bit rough I know, but it doesnt wobble anymore.

1561544776_img_1164_edited.jpg
1561544796_img_1170_edited.jpg

Rustynails using Whites lower stems with Minelab compatible coils with washers, sucks big time. I cannot stand any flex or wabble when swinging, I like a tight rig. The only option is to use Minelab lower rods, they are about the same length as Whites 'tall man rods' and the same diameter. I have four Coiltek/Docs Detecting lowers. Simply use a nice stainless steel spring clip after drilling new holes. I start by fitting the coil to the lower, using the cam to lock the rod in place after it has been balanced and set in position. then use a drill or pen to mark your holes using the Whites upper. Well worth the effort. Don't re use the crappy plastic spring clip, invest in quality steel instead.
The images show the Detech 8" mono on my Tdi Pro, after drill mods and new spring clip etc Nice fit, no flex and a pleasure to use. Rustynails good luck with it, you will be glad once it is done. White's shafts with washers just don't work for me. Can cost a few dollar so try second hand or fleabay, I got lucky and picked up the Coiltek rods for a steal, good luck. Spring clips off ebay.

All the best,
Karelian

Karelian,
Thank you very much, thats exactly the info I needed.
I notice Miners Den have the lower fibreglass stem for sd, gp & gpx listed on eBay for $44 +$8 p&p.
Dean (GSA) still has Whites spring clips on his website for $3.50 ea. Maybe I should stock up with a few.
Thanks again
Rusty

Shaft arrived this morning and followed Karelians instructions for the fitting. Worked out like a bought one. No more wobbly coils.
Thanks all
Rusty

Thanks for the thread, I ordered and received my shaft from Reeds. The spring clips were harder to find at a reasonable cost or a wait of 4 -6 weeks but they are on their way. I went out with a 14" coiltek and it felt good. Thanks to all that posted.

Latest posts