Gold-panning Nanango Area

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My wife and I are Grey Nomads and, for the last 20 odd years, have spent the winter months in the East Kimberly, panning,operating a small sluice box and occasionally metal-detecting. We generally work dry areas and carry water to pan in baby baths. We also operate a small recycling sluice box that recirculates water using a small battery and a marine bilge pump. We are not in it for gain and are happy to get a little bit of colour now and again. The relaxed lifestyle and meeting fellow fossickers is what appeals to us.
Due to deteriorating health we are no longer able to engage in long trips and are looking for new areas, closer to the East coast.
Nanango beckons and we are keen to give it a go. We have read with interest info on the Seven-mile Diggings and note that frequent reference is made to a burnt-out bus.Is their a shop in Nanango that sells mud-maps of the area? I have read that an access track has been closed to even 4WD vehicles because of surface deterioration.
Any general information that anyone can give us about public access to the 7 Mile Diggings will be appreciated.
I anticipate that once we get their we will be able to talk to locals and fellow fossickers to gain more information. We just need a few leaders to get started.

Welcome to PA...Gold can be hard to find at Nanango... And access harder... Gympie has a Gold Shop you could stop there and ask for any tips... Run by a really helpful fellow I have been told... Perhaps a phone call may save you a trip...

Also the Gold Museum may be of help too...
Repost this in the Alluvial Gold Prospection section as not too many read this area... This area is for 'Forum Issues'.... Just an idea... There are a few with better knowledge than me on the area and you will get better responses in the Alluvial section... ;)

Don't worry, When I was new here I made some classic Boo Boos... :)
LW...

Sorry mate but your recirculating sluice is illegal in QLD.. :N: :N: 8.(
7 mile diggings has been closed to fossickers for some time now but people still go there.

Didn't realize they had actually closed the area... Easier to close areas than maintain the areas. :rolleyes: ... That's a good motto the QLD Government should use more often... Not..

LW...

Grey Panner hope this give you an idea mate
Nanango QLD is at 11 o clock

1560579297_nanango_qld.jpg

Smoky bandit said:
Sorry mate but your recirculating sluice is illegal in QLD.. :N: :N: 8.(
7 mile diggings has been closed to fossickers for some time now but people still go there.
Hey mods why has my post been changed...
This is not what I wrote....nor did I put thumbs down..WTF...Please deleat this post since you changed it..Or put it back the way it was :mad: :mad:

Thanks to nucopia, Lone Wolf, Smoky Bandit and 7.62 Marksman ( I was never better than a First Class Shot myself).
Your feedback is informative and helpful. It has given me ideas on further research.

Hi Lone Wolf, I checked the Alluvial Gold Prospecting website, as you suggested and found useful info.I found reference to Talgai State Forest , West of Warwick, which has been opened to fossickers. I can start there with guaranteed access and take it from there.
Smoky Bandit, thanks for the warning about the illegality of a powered recirculating sluice box. I think I will be able to use it if I pour water through it by hand. It is slower but it works.
7.62 Marksman (Mine was a 303) thanks for the map. As I have said above, I'll try Talgai first but will retain your useful map for future reference.
Cheers. I'll let you know how I get on.

Hi Lone Wolf,
Glendon sounds good. I note that they allow gold panning on their land as well as canoeing , fishing and bush walking. It sounds like a good place to make a base camp.
Thanks for the info.
Grey Panner

Never been there myself tho, as I have a mate that lives just up the road from Glendon.... Also at $25 a night?... :eek: .. No thanks.. :rolleyes:

LW....

Hi Lone Wolf,
$25 per night is not cheap but for starters at least it provides something on which to build.
If the area looks good there are always roadside freebies for over-night stops. We are self-contained in that regard and are equipped to rough it.
Thanks again for your comments.
Grey Panner

I was there a cuppla yrs ago before it changed management and a NZ'er charged me $14 per night for me and my dog. Powered site as well.
$25 per night is a bit steep for "that" place. BYO water as well. :( :(

Hi Jaros,
Thanks for that info.
From the Net I got the idea that they now charge $18.50 but don't know if that includes power.
I hope to find out next month.
Grey Panner