Water levels around Bingarra to Inverell?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Planning a trip in springtime for gold, gems etc. Last time I went to Tinga I had a blast. I'd like to explore further now that I have expanded from only gems to gold.

I hear Bingarra could be fun, does anyone know what the region has been like for rainfall? Are there running creeks or at least enough puddles to pan in?

Baz.

While I wait for any answer, I'd like to add to my original question. Does PM stand for private message, or prospecting map, or pretty meaningful...? :p ;)

There seems to be very little on the net about the area. I will give the Bingara Visitors Information Centre a call on Monday and see what else I can find out about the area.

I welcome private messages if anyone is willing to share any suggestions/maps/advice. I'll be going for a couple of days and I don't share secret spots publicly.

Is the panning/sluicing prospect along the Gwydr river, or off other creeks? I've got the new 888 gold rat, but still haven't really had a chance to test it. Hopefully before I get to Bingara I will have remedied that.

I really want to go remote, so going to public/pay/touristy fossicking spots is really not my thing. It's about disappearing off the grid for a few days.

Is the gold there worth it or should I be focusing more on gems with my classifiers?

I like both and I hear there are both in the area, so here's hoping.

Baz.

1560558356_img_0004.jpg

This might help you, also get a topo map of the area, and a metalogical map
if your really serious. Search mining companies who have explored that area,
they usually have good info that helps.Go to the pub, :beer: usually someone
there who will have some info. good luck. :Y:

Thank you RR. I'll print that off and follow your advice. I'm currently collecting info and putting a folder together on the area. I'm guessing the cross-hatched areas are the gold/gem areas?

Baz.

Sandbagger said:
Thank you RR. I'll print that off and follow your advice. I'm currently collecting info and putting a folder together on the area. I'm guessing the cross-hatched areas are the gold/gem areas?

Baz.

yes, cross-hatched areas are the gold areas.
Not much water around in the creeks, hopefully
we will get some rain soon. On the road to the
tourist mine just out of Bingara the are a few spots
in the creek that runs along the road which aren't
fenced off, easy access , I've got good color there.
I was lucky, a bank had collapsed and i panned
that and got a bit over 5gms out of it, about
a wheel barrow full of dirt. That was a few years ago now.
good luck, RR.

I have sampled the bingara area, very dry country, karting dirt to the river to pan is the only way.
Gullys use to be fed by springs but they stopped flowing 3 decades ago.
There is big tourist sign at the park as you come into bingara with a map and directions to the fossicking areas.
There is an operational gold mine you can visit and pan the ground supplied for pickers ($20 per day I think).
Bingara gold doesn't come easy, prepare to dig deep.

RockRat said:
Sandbagger said:

Baz.

yes, cross-hatched areas are the gold areas.
Not much water around in the creeks, hopefully
we will get some rain soon. On the road to the
tourist mine just out of Bingara the are a few spots
in the creek that runs along the road which aren't
fenced off, easy access , I've got good color there.
I was lucky, a bank had collapsed and i panned
that and got a bit over 5gms out of it, about
a wheel barrow full of dirt. That was a few years ago now.
good luck, RR.
Forgot about that spring fed creek, I only sampled that spot near the bridge with all the holes in the cemented bottom left from dislodged river rock

Thanks gang. I don't mind going the extra mile really, for me, that's the fun part. Nothing worse than scratching out cracks that have had a hundred screwdrivers in them already.

I've got a bit of data starting to build up on the area now, so by springtime, I should have a fair idea of what I am doing and where I am going. Thanks to you all for your tips. Gotta start somewhere.

Cheers,

Baz.

P.S. This from the Bingara Tourist Information centre today:

"river is still flowing fairly well due to environmental releases from Copeton dam the creeks not looking too bad either. All the other creeks not connected to the Gwydir are dry."

Planning a trip to that part of the country in Sep myself.
Tingha, is there anyone there that does tours?
Can you hire equipment close by?

so, if the creek is dry, does that mean you cant look there? I know it sounds like a stupid question, but I am just learning.

SparkleBug said:
Planning a trip to that part of the country in Sep myself.
Tingha, is there anyone there that does tours?
Can you hire equipment close by?

so, if the creek is dry, does that mean you cant look there? I know it sounds like a stupid question, but I am just learning.

There's a bloke in Stannifer, (Ten minutes out of Tingha) that will take you around some spots, leave you with some gear and leave you to it. Most of Tinga is dry sieving anyway, and that worked fine for me last time. Came back with half a bucket of interesting specimens. Nothing valuable, but lots of fun. There are a couple of creeks about that may or may not have water in them. Best to carry your own.

Cost of hiring is dear. Better off to pay a little more, then they are yours for life. Plus, you can keep going in any direction without worrying about having to turn around to hand them back.

Baz.

Sandbagger said:
While I wait for any answer, I'd like to add to my original question. Does PM stand for private message, or prospecting map, or pretty meaningful...? :p ;)

There seems to be very little on the net about the area. I will give the Bingara Visitors Information Centre a call on Monday and see what else I can find out about the area.

I welcome private messages if anyone is willing to share any suggestions/maps/advice. I'll be going for a couple of days and I don't share secret spots publicly.

Is the panning/sluicing prospect along the Gwydr river, or off other creeks? I've got the new 888 gold rat, but still haven't really had a chance to test it. Hopefully before I get to Bingara I will have remedied that.

I really want to go remote, so going to public/pay/touristy fossicking spots is really not my thing. It's about disappearing off the grid for a few days.

Is the gold there worth it or should I be focusing more on gems with my classifiers?

I like both and I hear there are both in the area, so here's hoping.

Baz.

Were you ever successful in getting color at Bingara
Im looking at going Bingara this coming long weekend in June.
Looking for somewhere free, with water. Or even a place to detect.

Just reading through your post and from the times Ive been to Bingara on the gold hunt you have to keep an eye out for the snakes. There's never been a time Ive been out for the day and havent come across two if not more snakes!
good luck..

mrt2u said:
Just reading through your post and from the times Ive been to Bingara on the gold hunt you have to keep an eye out for the snakes. There's never been a time Ive been out for the day and havent come across two if not more snakes!
good luck..

I am a qualified snake handler, have been around venomous snakes most of my life and they are one of my favourite animals. I quite like snakes. Happy to sit beside one and have a little chat while I pan.

Baz.

Latest posts