Bullet identification

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I found this projectile the other day. Does anyone recognise this type of bullet and can ID it?

1560408796_thumbnail_20190613_164657.jpg

1560408796_thumbnail_20190613_164713_001.jpg

Mackka said:
What makes you think that it is a projectile Treasureman?
Mackka
well its hollow on one end and typical bullet head on the other. and the patina on the lead indicates some age?

treasureman said:
Mackka said:
What makes you think that it is a projectile Treasureman?
Mackka
well its hollow on one end and typical bullet head on the other. and the patina on the lead indicates some age?

Is it definitely lead? Heavy?

The weight on a pull through for cleaning rifle barrels are normally brass.

Cheers

Doug

Could be a sash window counter weight, it sure is odd for its size and being lead very much doubt its a projectile.

Sorry guys maybe it isn't a bullet but first instance just the shape and the typical bullet characteristics to me thinking it was a weird bullet.

As you can see the bullet tip and the hollow end typical of a slug.

This larger thicker bullet I have next to it I also have not been able to identify
1560489001_dsc_0053.jpg

1560489002_dsc_0054.jpg

1560489002_dsc_0055.jpg

1560489003_dsc_0056.jpg

1560489003_dsc_0057.jpg

1560489004_dsc_0058.jpg

If you have some calipers, could you measure the diameter of both items for me please ?
Also the over all length of both items please ?

Slow twist on the larger one, deep grooves.

The other smaller one I cant see any rifling marks, but the item is very strange....

Years ago a company made a rifle called a .22 Extruder, very few were manufactured and sold by Myra, a Gunshop in Broken Hill
The owner was quite an experimenter and developed a forcing cone system to shoot a .22LR Rimfire projectile through a tapered bore barrel
and the resultant projectile was either .17 or .14 in diameter but very long, it was stabilized by the length and was quite accurate.
Very cheap .17 shooting, and the rifles are so rare that they are worth bigger money to collectors, unfortunately many were converted
back to standard .22LR Rimfire because they were not understood and the Extruder firearms were based upon good quality Rifles anyway.

This could end up interesting.

To me it looks an odd color, every other bullet casing appears more leaden in color, this looks like it has been painted and then affected by high iron oxidation.
Too small to be a sash window weight, I hope someone can positively identify it.
Is it definitely lead?

Manpa said:
To me it looks an odd color, every other bullet casing appears more leaden in color, this looks like it has been painted and then affected by high iron oxidation.
Too small to be a sash window weight, I hope someone can positively identify it.
Is it definitely lead?
I know what your saying there but I have found other old lead items that are very similar brownish patina on them. indicating age I would imagine and what is in the mineralisation.

100% lead. Rockhunter

ill get back to you Greenhornet about the dimentions
1560503307_dsc_0064.jpg

1560503308_dsc_0065.jpg

1560503309_dsc_0066.jpg

I wonder if it is an early lead wall anchor as it is hollow, I assume found near an early mine or farming site.
Drill hole, fit lead sleeve, hammer or screw in anchor.

I'd put my money on an early blasting cap, especially if it was found around a mining area.

Not a lead wall plug, seen them, used them, found them.

I dont think it is a detonator because as I understand it, the lead would interact with the compound and be seriously sensitive to friction or pressure.
but it is still possible.

treasureman, did you clean the end out a little more ?

Latest posts