Is it smoky quartz ?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Found this last week end thinking its smoky quartz
its big 5 inches by 4 inches
wondering if i'm right and its smoky quartz
and what value it is worth due to its size
and if it worth cutting or just get it polished up and display only
steve
1560300877_62256055_307659233516576_1573232570471022592_n_1.jpg
1560300909_62511744_2881688345390004_2547461346547466240_n_1.jpg

Great find Steve, i would leave as is.
You could make a nice stand for it,
with a led shining up from the bottom.
Great specimen.
Got to be worth a couple hundred bucks. :Y:
looks like a smokey.

That is an ugly 'quarts crystal'.... Im with Gimp... worth jack... if you tried to polish it, I would think that it would fall apart.....

Best left alone and put it in your Cabinet... or make a stand for it and use it as a paper weight....

Just a reminder that Fossicking for Monetary Gain is illegal under the Mining/Fossicking Act too... ;)

LW....

Page 10 of the fossicking bill.
It is envisaged that the occasional sale of a lucky find by a fossicker,or
the sale or swap of specimens by hobbyists at a lapidary shows or fairs could
not be considered trade or commerce. Repeated sale of material from the
same locality by the same persons, from shops or elsewhere, would be commercial
and require tenure under the Mineral Resources act 1989.
Similarly a person who makes a regular living or part of a living from
selling materials would be considered a commercial operator.
A substantial penalty is provided to deter such activity.

As far as the smokey crystal, i think it's a beauty.
Imagination and creativity is the key. :gemstone:

Yes it is a nice find(using my imagination )... But you cant make :poop: into :flowers: ... I have plenty like that in buckets in the garage... Too fractured to do much with and will be smashed into smaller bits for use later( using my Creativity) ;)

Yes you can find and sell small amounts... Just making People aware of the Rules if they didn't know them.... That's all....

LW....

LoneWolf said:
That is an ugly 'quarts crystal'.... Im with Gimp... worth jack... if you tried to polish it, I would think that it would fall apart.....

Best left alone and put it in your Cabinet... or make a stand for it and use it as a paper weight....

Just a reminder that Fossicking for Monetary Gain is illegal under the Mining/Fossicking Act too... ;)

LW....
You are aloud to sell the occasional find here in QLD..
I can't see all those guys finding thousands of $$$$$ worth of gold WIth their Gpxs and zeds and not selling any of it :Y: .....And I'm sure most sell more than the occasional find..:lol: :lol: :lol: :Y:

True Smokey... I have been to Gem Events where Taxation and Centrelink have been walking around catching out the Pensioners.... Nothing better to do than to Hammer the easy Prey...

LW...

LoneWolf said:
True Smokey... I have been to Gem Events where Taxation and Centrelink have been walking around catching out the Pensioners.... Nothing better to do than to Hammer the easy Prey...

LW...
Yer mate
That they do..They'll want their share of ya win.
I paid just under $20.000 tax last year and they had the hide to say I clamed $300 more than the average person in my industry and wanted me to do my tax again...I told them I'm not the average person in my industry and haven't heard back since :lol: :lol: :cool:

Nice... I can remember I did something simular, and had to do my tax again.. They gave me $1,003 more than I was expecting... That will teach them to try and hammer the Little Man... It pays to have a good Accountant... ;) :beer:

LW....

Latest posts