New Starter Questions.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello All! I've read through many of the threads on here and it's been invaluable in answering many questions I have, but there's a couple I'm still not clear on.

I've worked in the resources sector for more than a decade now and I've worked in the goldfields (West Australia) so I'm familiar with the area (didn't work in gold though). I've got a miner's right (I already go hunting for fossils) and access to tenegraph as well as the landgate system so I can find prospects and tell if I'm on vacant crown land or there's an active lease.

What I'm not clear on which I'd love advice on is:

• If an area is a pastoral lease or private land, what's the best way to get in touch with the owner so seek permission or provide notification I'll be in the area (depending on private or pastoral)? There's a code in tenegraph but from there you can't ID them[/*]
  • Should I detect with 2 or 3 people and work as a team with one person digging and another swinging, or should we all buy/rent out own gear and do our own digging? I'm a first timer to detecting.[/*]
  • Renting detectors- Reed's rents the GPZ7000 for $500/week, which seems like a bargain to me as I'm unlikely to get more than a few weeks a year to do detecting, but I'm concerned without time to play with it I won't get a good feel for it. The GPX 5000 is a little cheaper ($300) but given I'm new I might miss targets? Or should I buy something cheaper and spend time play with it to learn it? Your thoughts are welcome on this.[/*]

Lastly my loose plan at this point is to spend time identifying targets and using what I know and learn on here to hone in on shallow zones that run along the strike of known gold finds, in particular where I can see on google maps outcropping of iron stone/quartz and white clay bands. I don't have a proper 4x4 with tonnes of gear (I've got a subaru forrester) so I can't go off road in any extreme sense, I'd probably pick targets walking distance off well used dirt tracks and drive slightly off them and camp. I feel like this is the best plan for what I have, but again input is welcome

I would just offer that if you are planning a trip, to make sure that if any of your areas are on Exploration (E) leases, to get your 40E permits in well prior to your trip...Theres a 21 day wait between applying and been allowed to detect.

Hey Tim, Im new to the forum as well.

OK, the best way to get in touch with the pastoralist is by email. To get hold of their email is as easy as ringing the Mines department and asking for the contact info for the owners of the pastoral lease. Having a copy of the correspondence in writing ultimately holds up in a court of law (if things go bad). A phone call isn't a bad idea either just to keep the pastoralist up to date with your where abouts etc (so your not messing with their work blat blat blat)

The more detectors on the ground the better, no point in a group of people frothin over one detector. The game is all about increasing your odds.

This depends on how serious you are. If your just testing the water to see if swinging a detector is your thing then hire them. If it is something you are interested in then your best bet is investing in and learning the inner workings of a P.I machine. I messed around with a vlf detector for 4 weeks, found 1 nugget and called it quits. Went back to the same ground with a GPX5000 and found out i had missed a lot of gold. Not saying VLF's are crap, but it just wasn't suited for what i wanted to do. It did teach me a lot and i wouldn't change a thing if i could turn back time but in all honesty i wish i had someone tell me that a Pulse Induction machine is the way to go.

The game is about increasing your odds, well worn tracks obviously mean it is high traffic, not saying you wont find gold (I have found gold right next to well worn tracks) but the further from the road you are, the more you will be increasing your odds. Obviously everyone will have a different opinion on this but from personal experience this holds true.

GOOD LUCK!!

Muza said:
Hey Tim, Im new to the forum as well.

OK, the best way to get in touch with the pastoralist is by email. To get hold of their email is as easy as ringing the Mines department and asking for the contact info for the owners of the pastoral lease. Having a copy of the correspondence in writing ultimately holds up in a court of law (if things go bad). A phone call isn't a bad idea either just to keep the pastoralist up to date with your where abouts etc (so your not messing with their work blat blat blat)

The more detectors on the ground the better, no point in a group of people frothin over one detector. The game is all about increasing your odds.

This depends on how serious you are. If your just testing the water to see if swinging a detector is your thing then hire them. If it is something you are interested in then your best bet is investing in and learning the inner workings of a P.I machine. I messed around with a vlf detector for 4 weeks, found 1 nugget and called it quits. Went back to the same ground with a GPX5000 and found out i had missed a lot of gold. Not saying VLF's are crap, but it just wasn't suited for what i wanted to do. It did teach me a lot and i wouldn't change a thing if i could turn back time but in all honesty i wish i had someone tell me that a Pulse Induction machine is the way to go.

The game is about increasing your odds, well worn tracks obviously mean it is high traffic, not saying you wont find gold (I have found gold right next to well worn tracks) but the further from the road you are, the more you will be increasing your odds. Obviously everyone will have a different opinion on this but from personal experience this holds true.

GOOD LUCK!!

Thanks for the advice. We will definitely rent 2 or 3 detectors then. My thoughts were we would rent a gpx,gpz and an sdc so we can determine what we like and sweep the ground with defferent gear.

Are there any spots like around kalgoorlie which are known to be completely flogged? It's a big ass country so I'd like to exclude as much as i can. I'm actually in the pilbara for work and it's dawning on me i could spend a week looking in a single gully.

I've also been watching a lot of youtube and some people use bungees and some do not? I like the idea of comfort as it will let me detect longer but there must be a trade off.

Lasting on #4 point taken. I might need to pick a spot to start with and see what the terrain is like. The forrester can handle a fair bit, but I'll buy a winch to be safe

The main issue with the Forrester as a WA prospecting vehicle is likely to be the lack of ground clearance coupled with shallow approach/departure angles - in particular, creeks and washaways will need very careful navigation. The standard lightweight tyres and shockies should be OK as long as you are careful, but the corrugations and dust will eventually kill it, I'd imagine.

I used to have friends in Kalgoorlie in the early 90's who had one of the Subaru Brumby utes, then Australia's cheapest 4WD. They only took it out bush on the weekends to get firewood, but after a while the A-pillar (windscreen edge) cracked right through on the driver's side!

Perth Tim,
The Pilbara is the place to be! I have heard Karratha is producing some really nice gold for the prospecting community. In my opinion, i would be having a look around the Karratha / Roebourne area. I was in Cue a couple of months ago and ran into a fella on the track. He was saying that last season he had picked up 30oz in Karratha alone!

About the bungee, definitely have one. It does become a pain in the arse putting it on and taking it off when you dig but honestly i would pay to see someone use a detector for a whole day without using one, it does get heavy. Absolutely use a bungee.

Muza said:
Perth Tim,
The Pilbara is the place to be! I have heard Karratha is producing some really nice gold for the prospecting community. In my opinion, i would be having a look around the Karratha / Roebourne area. I was in Cue a couple of months ago and ran into a fella on the track. He was saying that last season he had picked up 30oz in Karratha alone!

About the bungee, definitely have one. It does become a pain in the arse putting it on and taking it off when you dig but honestly i would pay to see someone use a detector for a whole day without using one, it does get heavy. Absolutely use a bungee.
I definitely plan to hit the pilbara at some point, it's a long drive unfortunately. I reckon it's less thrashed than the yilgarn region.
Any recommendations on the bungie? I'm leaning to buying a sdc 2300 and renting a gpz

Perth Tim,
I have only had experience with the SD2000 and the GPX5000. I did my homework and decided on the 5K because it can be upgraded, it has been proven to perform, and with the right combo - has the capability to go toe to toe with the gpz.
Basically it gives me ample room to grow.
Best advice is do your homework and decide what you want to do and what will suit you best, cant go wrong with a Minelab :Y:

G'day Perth Tim welcome to PA you say you are thinking of buying an SDC :Y: great choice for anyone new to detecting or anyone who can afford one and hiring a GPZ is a smart choice as well. Definitely use the harness and bungy cord for the Zed I've never used one for the SDC. This combination will find gold if it's there and you swing over it, keep it simple and dig everything :Y: I've never prospected WA and doubt the machines would behave any different to how they do in Vic best of luck when you get amongst it, looking forward to your reports.

shakergt said:
Do a gold prospecting tour. They are really informative and you will gain a lot from them

We did one of those tours in WA a couple of years ago and worked over some thrashed out spots that didnt even have any metal rubbish on them , then went to a new spot and started finding good gold but the guys who ran the tour got pissd off and made us all pack up and leave for another dud spot so they could go back later and thrash the good ground.

Gold Fever sure shows what some people are made of.

Latest posts