GM1000

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trekkie

steve
Reaction score
gidday everyone i have'nt posted in a while. Am thinking of upgrading from xterra 705, as i have a limited budget and seeing sdc2300 at $3700 i am looking at the gm1000 which is on special at moment. Would like to know if this good choice to enhance my chances of finding gold. I see on forum that it is a reasonable machine to use but saving for sdc2300 seems a long long way off

thanks rm outback. I had read that thread which led me to believe getting the gm1000 mite be the way to go as am not getting much with xterra and sdc2300 is way out of my budget unless i win lotto. At least i mite have a better chance of finding something.

trekkie said:
thanks rm outback. I had read that thread which led me to believe getting the gm1000 mite be the way to go as am not getting much with xterra and sdc2300 is way out of my budget unless i win lotto. At least i mite have a better chance of finding something.

Don't forget the GM1000 is a VLF and the SDC is MPF. On highly mineralised ground the SDC is a stand out winner for ease of use.

I haven't used or for that matter ever seen a GM1000, won't be long though due to a mate buying one in the last few weeks. That said the thread in the Minelab section is Pro performance capabilities with emphasis on settings for the ground it's generally run on, NT by the sounds of it. Doesn't mean those settings won't be suitable elsewhere I'm sure they will, only those who experiment will know either way.

Hi Trekkie, for what it's worth I purchased a GM1000 last Friday to have as a second detector to the 4500.
I got out on the weekend to try it out on some pretty hot Vic GT ground and I must say I'm pretty impressed with it.
My history is I've used various VLF's in the past in the Vic GT and maybe because of that I've found the GM so easy to use, basically set it on manual 10 with all metal and swing away, I could easily distinguish between hot rocks, hot ground and genuine targets. No gold found but couldn't believe how many tiny bird shot I was pinging at 2" in very hot ground, I've never dug bird shot that small before, it's just a matter of training your years to listen to the difference in response instead of looking at the meter on the screen as I'm sure you would be used to with the 705.

I wanted a second detector for when I needed a break from swinging the 4500 and couldn't justify the SDC even though I liked the one I was watching in action at a recent meet-up (very impressed with it) but I decided to get the GM1000 and I'm so glad I did.
In my honest opinion after spending a few hours on the weekend with it I would have no hesitation to say if you are thinking of buying one while saving for a SDC then do so as I would be confident you would be very happy with it, the 5" coil is super sensitive and punches deep for it's size, wish I bought one sooner.

Just a quick mention trekkie, the GM chirps, barks and carries on over the hot ground in the GT but it is still easy to distinguish the different responses.
Basically, if you can't handle a noisy machine forget buying one, if you can handle it then it's a great machine to have.
You are welcome to come and try mine if you like, I'm in Narre Warren Sth so just around the corner from you.

Shoot me a message once you've got it and I'll give you my address. Very easy to set up and hopefully I can show you difference in response tones :Y:

Latest posts