Pulse Induction On A Budget?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone i'm not sure if this is in the right section but im looking for a bit of guidance. I'm new to gold detecting and am quite enjoying it - I purchased a 2nd hand White's GMT goldmaster VLF machine for cheap just to make sure that I enjoy the hobby before making the big jump into a hefty priced PI machine. Now my predicament is; I'm finding the VLF very frustrating in the highly mineralized ground where I live (Bendigo VIC) It's very chatty and i'm finding it hard to distinguish between hot/cold rocks and actual targets. Most who I have talked to suggest going PI. So therefore I'm considering selling my GMT and buying a cheap PI unit. But with having 2 small kids and a mortgage and all that garbage I am on a rather tight budget. I wouldn't mind getting some more expert opinions on a good cheap PI machine that I could purchase. I would like something rather user friendly, and like I said, the more budget friendly the better :)
So far from my little bit of research, I've come across a few of these which seem to be in my price range. (2nd hand)

Whites TDI pro
Minelab sd 2000/2100 (No auto ground balance?)
Minelab GP Extreme

possibly QED if I could stretch it. But maybe not so user friendly?

If you had to pick one of these, which way would you go? All opinions welcome!
Thanks again

nucopia said:
Tried an sd 2000 and didnt like it ..
Have you looked at the minelab Gold Mosnter 1000 single freaquency 45kHz ?
Might be an option to look at.

I skipped over it to be honest because I thought it was VLF?

I have'nt used a gp extreme so wont comment but have used both a 2000 and 2100 they are booth easy to use and you should get a good buy secondhand with plenty of extras ready to hit the ground to find the shiny stuff.I to live in Bendigo and these machines ran nicely simple no fuss detectors.Good luck.

awesome thanks for the replies so far everyone. It's giving me something to think about. If I can stretch my budget a little the QED does look rather appetizing. But even hitting the ground with an old sd 2000/2100 does sound fine to me. with the older minelabs does not having an auto ground balance become annoying at all? or just means you need to balance every so often?

My first real detector was a GP3000 I paid $1500 for with coils and a lucky lark battery/booster.
Good machine. Found gold.
No step learning curve.
Still have it as my back up in case the 7000 even craps itself.

kicksome said:
awesome thanks for the replies so far everyone. It's giving me something to think about. If I can stretch my budget a little the QED does look rather appetizing. But even hitting the ground with an old sd 2000/2100 does sound fine to me. with the older minelabs does not having an auto ground balance become annoying at all? or just means you need to balance every so often?

Keep in mind, Auto Ground Balance is not auto tracking

Jaros said:
Try a F1A4.

I actually dont know a lot about the F1A4, I think I read that its much better if its modded? or it was really quiet or something. not totally sure though. I'll have a good look

Aussiedigs said:
kicksome said:

Keep in mind, Auto Ground Balance is not auto tracking

Thanks I was getting that mixed up, I'm used to just putting my GMT on auto tracking and just rolling along with it

kicksome .Let us know what you get . Plenty of advice here. If you end up with a 2000 /2100 and want to meet up for some help just send PM there is lots of info on this site about all the machines your mentioned

lordo.1 said:
kicksome .Let us know what you get . Plenty of advice here. If you end up with a 2000 /2100 and want to meet up for some help just send PM there is lots of info on this site about all the machines your mentioned
Thanks thats awesome Lordo I might end up doing that, I feel like im a blind man without a guide dog out there at the moment :)
I'll keep hunting, there is an sd 2000 on gumtree for $850 at the moment im inquiring about, so i'll see where that leads. It's all new and exciting for me, so much to learn!

hey kicksome, if you can find a 2100 or 2200, or a v2 of either for around $1000 is a better bet. I have previously seen 2100's for around $900-950 on Gumtree.
For a little you more you might be lucky & pick up a GP3000/3500
Also, check out some of the Prospector Stores. Some of them sell good 2nd hand units. worth asking
whatever you buy, make sure its working properly.
Be VERY wary of fake GPX units being sold anywhere for unreal prices. Same goes for other brand fakes too.
not much on Gumtree at the moment
but this one on eBay https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/MINELAB...957057?hash=item23be15d481:g:tkkAAOSwxcZc9c-P
there are prospectors pages on Facebook too, & sometimes gear for sale on them

Awesome thanks Ded Driver I was thinking I would rather a 2100/2200 than the older 2000. I'll just try and bide my time a little bit and wait for something to bob up on gumtree or ebay. I'll give miners den a go and see if they have any 2nd hand detectors on the go. I wont lie i'm a little hesitant on buying a $1000+ machine off gumtree just in case the seller is a little bit on the dodgy side if you know what I mean. I guess it comes with the territory though. Then pray to god that aussie post dont mistreat it.

Gday kicksome there was a gp extreme and a sd2000 in Bendigo cash converters last time I was in there not sure of price but worth checking out and you can haggle over price they also give some warranty 90days I think?im back in town on 30/6/19 if your keen we can go out with my sdc and any targets I pick up you can run your whites over to see if it gets it let me know and we can sort out a session cheers Muk.

Latest posts