What's your thoughts on these 2 topaz ?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all, after someone with Abit of topaz knowledge. I picked these up at Mt suprise , 140ct (apricot seed looking one ) and the triangular one with the rainbow pattern visible from both sides in 110ct
Cheers TT
1559909823_img_20190607_215504.jpg
1559909843_img_20190607_215435.jpg
1559909861_img_20190607_215349.jpg

Looks like they will both cut nice stones; the rainbow surprise is normal. Better to be cut for pairs, in my opinion, big stones are only for dress settings as in pendants, brooches, but yes, would be nice to see a huge, bright pendant around some lady's neck.
I do not get big stones set in rings because of the damage that ruins the stone when it comes into collision with something, like a car door or table.

Pat Hogen said:
Better to be cut for pairs, in my opinion, big stones are only for dress settings

Tigertreasure said:
Thanks Pat. Well they were sitting next to eachother, destined to be a pair.

I may be wrong, but I think what Pat means is splitting each rough stone into a pair of cut stones, so you end up with four smaller cut pieces. ie. two pairs of stones.

grubstake said:
Pat Hogen said:
Better to be cut for pairs, in my opinion, big stones are only for dress settings

Tigertreasure said:

I may be wrong, but I think what Pat means is splitting each rough stone into a pair of cut stones, so you end up with four smaller cut pieces. ie. two pairs of stones.

:Y:

Pat Hogen said:
grubstake said:
Pat Hogen said:

Tigertreasure said:

Have to agree, cut those at that rough size and you'll end up with monsters. Been cutting a bit of Topaz recently and one of Topaz's characteristics is that you end up with a high crown to get a really good sparkle.

The one below is a recent cut for a client, stone started an 12.5ct and finished at 8ct, measured 14 x 9mm so very much a stone for a necklace, big earrings or a broach, ring.. no, too big and bulky. You may also find the stones have a lot happening internally, veils, bubbles etc, the one in the picture has a lot happening internally which I personally think makes for a more interesting stone and no one will ever question that's it's not natural. Those little white specs are not fluff they're air bubbles!

1560050831_8ct-topaz-step-cushion-crop.jpg

Very interesting dihusky, cheers for that info mate. How much are the rates for cutting. And what is topaz worth rough and cut? Cheers tt

Latest posts