Homemade skid plates

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just spent an hour making a skid plate for SDC2300 after minlab ones seem to be pathetic.
Purchased plastic sheet, called HIPS from menzel plastics.
Cut a mould from scrap chip board sheet by tracing around coil.
Cut some sheet and clamped to mould then heated edges with heat gun and used a block of wood to form edges up on mould while keeping it flat on other chipboard.
Slowly worked around mould and then used screw driver to get of mould.
It fitted nice and firm on coil so very impressed, just needs a tidy up now.
I left extra where knuckle is to protect knuckle, but next one will leave even more.
Here is some pictures. Gotta be better than p!s weak minelab ones.
1559896464_20190607_180254.jpg
1559896487_20190607_180232.jpg
1559896506_20190607_180326.jpg

Just spent an hour making a skid plate for SDC2300 after minlab ones seem to be pathetic.
Purchased plastic sheet, called HIPS from menzel plastics.
Cut a mould from scrap chip board sheet by tracing around coil.
Cut some sheet and clamped to mould then heated edges with heat gun and used a block of wood to form edges up on mould while keeping it flat on other chipboard.
Slowly worked around mould and then used screw driver to get of mould.
It fitted nice and firm on coil so very impressed, just needs a tidy up now.
I left extra where knuckle is to protect knuckle, but next one will leave even more.
Here is some pictures. Gotta be better than p!s weak minelab ones.

TG, look at a product called Kydex for future use, this product is used for making knife sheaths, gun holsters etc.

Google and you tube it for some vids.

Thanks manpa, will have a look. Just interested how this plastic will go. Seems flexible but hard enough to take a bashing.
Just thought that if this worked they will cost less than $5 bucks each.

travelergold said:
Thanks manpa, will have a look. Just interested how this plastic will go. Seems flexible but hard enough to take a bashing.
Just thought that if this worked they will cost less than $5 bucks each.

I have been making my own out of polycarb for years,minimum 12 months out of each skid plate,

their is a member here who makes them cheap as chips and go better than the minilab skid plate I have one and it works well

Well done, great idea :idea: Travelergold pls keep us updated on how your skid plate preforms and wears . Im looking for a new idea as I go through a few . Seems Im a bit of a scrubber. :Y:
Also interested to hear if anyone is making them available for sale I did see a heavy duty version advertised once but cant remember where .Cheers Booney

savage bitter said:
their is a member here who makes them cheap as chips and go better than the minilab skid plate I have one and it works well

Can you direct me to this member please. I am willing to pay for a good quality skid plate. Thanks in advance
Mike

Hi, we used 1.5 mm thick as they had no 1mm in at the time. The wife give it a good bashing when we was in tibuburra and am very impressed. Then a mate used same skid plate for a week in victoria and loved it. It shows no wear.
Some people never tojch the ground but we are both scrapers, and in tibuburra the quartz chews the edges to bits in no time.
That particular plastic I used seem the ducks nuts.
For those that are interested, I could make a few and post. I would leave the longer knuckle protector on plate as that works well. But I have not tried to fold up the detector, we store on open position. Cheers

Latest posts