fridge vs. ice box

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tonai

Mike
Reaction score
hi guys i'm looking at purchasing a fridge or ice box in the near future and was wondering which one would be the best choice.
i was thinking of getting one of the fridge freezer combi's that run on gas as i dont have a dual battery system and dont want to drain the main battery.
i was also thinking of a ice box (engel, tropical fishing etc...) as my camping trips usually only last 1 or 2 weeks.

so i was wondering what peoples thoughts are on whether to buy a fridge that runs on gas or to buy a ice box since i have heard that they keep ice for 5 days (is this true?).

if i went with the fridge option would it be cheaper and easier to get a dual battery setup put in my 4b? are there any negatives of having the battery powered fridges over gas?

any advice is appreciated

cheers
mike

Duel battery system and fridge was the best thing I have added to my 4b ,no messy soggy food and you can hav camp lights and charge batterys without draining main battery worth the investment.

In a similar situation. I use cleaned 2ltr milk bottles and freeze them for my esky.
And towards the end of the trip I use up the water in them.
But thinking of getting a small 12v freezer ( enough to hold 4 x 2ltr bottles) so once the bottles are almost unfrozen, pop them in the freezer and rotate them.
I have 3 of those ice boxes. About 55ltrs. Even if I only need one of them for a short trip, the other 2 I take as they make good strong water tight storage boxes I can throw in the trailer and strap down tightly without crushing.
It dose come to individual needs a bit.

Dual battery + fridge/freezer combo is the way to go if you have extended trips.
We are about to head off to remote outback WA with supplies for a month.
Limited mobile reception and may see one or two others, I say maybe!
To enable this we have caravan fridge/freezer, 39L Engel Freezer & 60L Combo Engel.
30 meat packs and frozen vegies are ingredients for our main nightly meals.

Good bye rat race, hello paradise with a few welcome nuggets.

Nightjar said:
Dual battery + fridge/freezer combo is the way to go if you have extended trips.
We are about to head off to remote outback WA with supplies for a month.
Limited mobile reception and may see one or two others, I say maybe!
To enable this we have caravan fridge/freezer, 39L Engel Freezer & 60L Combo Engel.
30 meat packs and frozen vegies are ingredients for our main nightly meals.

Good bye rat race, hello paradise with a few welcome nuggets.

hey nightjar have you got a sticker across ya windscreen?

Duel Battery to provide lights, recharging detector batteries and run a fridge - TICK

Fridge to keep beer cold - TICK

Diesel Heater in the van to keep me warm - TICK

Once you've experienced them, you NEVER go back :)

Tonai said:
hi guys i'm looking at purchasing a fridge or ice box in the near future and was wondering which one would be the best choice.
i was thinking of getting one of the fridge freezer combi's that run on gas as i dont have a dual battery system and dont want to drain the main battery.
i was also thinking of a ice box (engel, tropical fishing etc...) as my camping trips usually only last 1 or 2 weeks.

so i was wondering what peoples thoughts are on whether to buy a fridge that runs on gas or to buy a ice box since i have heard that they keep ice for 5 days (is this true?).

if i went with the fridge option would it be cheaper and easier to get a dual battery setup put in my 4b? are there any negatives of having the battery powered fridges over gas?

any advice is appreciated

cheers
mike
Being from the NT I'd seriously concider steering clear of the 3way fridges (gas) as they will struggle with the NT heat. Go with the duel battery and solar.
The original Evacool range are good value, made in QLD with great backup if you ever do need it serviced and usually don't need an insulation bag.

madtuna said:
The original Evacool range are good value, made in QLD with great backup if you ever do need it serviced and usually don't need an insulation bag.
i have an Evacool icebox, it's awesome , wish they did a small version of the fridge model , but till then i'll stick with my Engel, it's awesome too :cool:

1559698471_p1120015.jpg

Gas powered fridges are ok if your stationary but I would not risk traveling with one hooked up, That's just asking for trouble,

As the Guys said a fridge freezer with duel batteries is the only way to go, even more so in that heat,

A major plus is that these fridge freezers have so many other uses when you get back home in everyday life, Like when the house freezer needs defrosting or during power cuts and a load of other uses too, wouldn't be without one even though I'm not in a hot climate, I use one of mine for off grid living and you would be surprized what a dent in the power bill that has made, LOL.

Good luck on your choice, :Y:

i have a campanion 3 way , it is awesome at a base camp for a couple of days or more, hard on 12 volts , but still worx very well !
at it's best on gas

haven't used it in years to be honest though

Latest posts