Gold Beyond The Workings?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
madtuna said:
But what is now uphill was once downhill. Both sides of the original reef were once downhill. The only difference being one side eroded, weathered away quicker than the other.

Geez Madtuna, your making me use my brain! :awful

Is this what you are suggesting?

Erosion forms hills by carrying away all of the soil on a mountain, causing a hill to be left behind

http://www.edu.pe.ca/southernkings/hillmc.htm

Aussiedigs said:
madtuna said:
Aussiedigs said:
Gold is where you find it. Im beginning to think this saying was more relevant to times past to an extent. Ok, it still stands true but not to the extent it once did.

One thing ive learnt through research is there are differences of opinion which both/all can be correct. Work the worked ground, work between the worked ground etc.

I took the dogs for a 2 hour walk yesty up a gully beyond some workings. Now heres another thing i read last night - dont bother detecting above reefs! Anyway i kept hitting fencing wire. Didnt matter how far up I travelled, more fencing wire. I got to virtually the top of the low gradient part of this gully and got a single travelling along under the surface. Barbed bluddy wire stretched across under the surface! The finest (smallest) barbed wire ive ever seen. Was a miner camped up in here containing some sheep hence the fine wire? One thing i have learnt is the likes of the metal detector can give a view to an extent of what took place in certain areas we would otherwise not see.

Another interesting observation, is this only because im green to all this is in this Google Earth view, the gold workings are in the hilly areas basically. So over time the earth has been pushed up to form the hills we have today. Through this process it has caused cracks in the earth for the likes of gold deposits to be made? Is this process what we call metamorphism?

https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...3174_e5a727ea-7ae8-4896-84d7-6093d2535991.jpg
Gold can fall off either side of the reef and I've found good gold on the uphill side many many times.

Maybe what im reading is mostly gold wont fall uphill but what if the reef continues up there? To me this is working between the workings. As Kingswood pointed out if the rocks etc extend beyond...well!
Dunno...but laterite forming over bedrock gets me kinda excited :cool:

Mackka said:
I love this thread, very interesting.
Are all the mines North South?
Mackka
Where I live they are north south...I presume because thats the way the greenstones run.

NS alignment of mines\major fault lines in Oz is well known fact. Look at any map showing faults.

Yep, same here.

I was out on the trailbike this arvo scouting around taking pictures and co-ordinates. Ill plot it out later and post it. From what i can make out the scratchings were aligning N/S.

Al.

Aussiedigs said:
madtuna said:
But what is now uphill was once downhill. Both sides of the original reef were once downhill. The only difference being one side eroded, weathered away quicker than the other.

Erosion forms hills by carrying away all of the soil on a mountain, causing a hill to be left behind

What I should have wrote was "what is now uphill MAY have once been downhill"

What I mean is picture a mountain millions of years ago with a reef just showing out the top.
Weathering/erosion causes the soil surrounding the reef to erode at a faster rate than the reef itself. As the reef slowly erodes, rocks and gold fall off both sides.
Due to wind and rain predominantly coming from one dirrection, one side erodes quicker than the other side. So although millions of years ago what might have started out equal, today we might have an upside and a down side of the reef.

Sometimes the land is flat with a reef in the middle... both side eroded at the same pace, so no upslope and no downslope.

madtuna said:
Aussiedigs said:
madtuna said:

What I should have wrote was "what is now uphill MAY have once been downhill"

What I mean is picture a mountain millions of years ago with a reef just showing out the top.
Weathering/erosion causes the soil surrounding the reef to erode at a faster rate than the reef itself. As the reef slowly erodes, rocks and gold fall off both sides.
Due to wind and rain predominantly coming from one dirrection, one side erodes quicker than the other side. So although millions of years ago what might have started out equal, today we might have an upside and a down side of the reef.

Sometimes the land is flat with a reef in the middle... both side eroded at the same pace, so no upslope and no downslope.

Gotchya!

As described by MT

1559988222_screenshot_20190608-200152.jpg

Where we are building our house is on the peak of a hill, 930m above sea level.I noticed quite a few large (soccer ball size) semi exposed rocks that were obviously water worn before we started any excavation.
Excavation revealed a plethora of compacted river gravel and water worn rocks. I can only imagine that we are now where the river once was.

1559988636_screenshot_20190608-195534.jpg
1559988670_screenshot_20190608-194850.jpg
1559988691_screenshot_20190608-194713.jpg
1559988709_screenshot_20190608-195544.jpg

Gimp said:
NS alignment of mines\major fault lines in Oz is well known fact. Look at any map showing faults.
Yes, the overwhelming majority in eastern Australia. It has to do with the Pacific sea floor diving westward under the east coast of Australia for a very long time - "pushing" westward against the continent and opening up north-south fractures etc. We don't see this happening now because the Tasman Sea opened up, and the area where the ocean plate met the edge of the Australian continent is now out in New Zealand and New Caledonia.

Gday

Thats correct what was once downhill can now be up hill, with movement of the ground lower areas can of course be pushed up so if a reef had shed gold millions of years ago down the side of a hill and the ground pushed up it can now be running the other way, same as some people have told me that gold only runs down one side of a hill, thats not correct either as I have worked spots that have runs down both sides.

I found what I think is an old creek line on top of a fairly high hill, didn't find any gold but it could have been deeper down that I could detect, but all the stones were very water worn and rounded just like you find in a running creek, what we are seeing on the ground today is very different as to what it would have been like millions of years ago.

cheers

stayyerAU

goldierocks said:
Probably most large nuggets everywhere tend to be eluvial, not just in WA. Smaller ones travel hundreds of metres in streams (remembering that WA had high rainfall when they were being moved around, in more deeply incised valleys that have since been filled in to a large degree. But some nuggets are neither, they have actually grown in ferricrete (ironstone) when gold was redistributed by saline groundwater. So things like a lack of roundness can simply reflect that the nugget grew where you see it now. Some economic gold orebodies are actually the laterite/ferricrete itself because of this re-concentration of gold - some gold nuggets actually enclose original "soil" (e,g, iron pisolites). One mine at least mined bauxite and gold together (bauxite is really an aluminium rich soil (Boddington - later primary gold was found at depth). Butt is a good reference.

As you say, gold is not "where you find it" - it occurs in specific places for good geological reasons. Some of it requires a lot of knowledge of geology, but there are simple rules that will increase your chances of success tenfold. One of them is understanding the difference between primary gold in unweathered rock, gold in the weathering zone (lateritic profile in WA), eluvial gold and alluvial gold - and the fact that the desert country you see now is not what it was like when the gold was being moved around. Since it turned to desert there has been little movement of gold beyond what breaking up of rock into fragments ("desert lithosol" - a surface veneer of broken rock fragments) and wind movement has caused. And that involves very little movement.
Thank you Sir :)
Have done lots more reading about lateritic weathering.....
Would it be fair to say that primary nuggets found in the upper laterite, mostly 2-5g's, would be close to the source due to the halo dispersion pattern?

I just begun reviewing The Definitive Guide to Gold, a free 65-page ebook that discuss about how gold is doing a big impact of financial success. Its nice to learn how technology is changing the gold industry.

To answer the original post, I love exploring and getting out away from the usual haunts. I dont really like the idea of detecting around worked areas as someone has already done the hard yards. Saying that, i Can't say venturing off has worked as yet with finding gold but when I do hit a patch it'll be all worth it.
I've watched Utube vids of guys claiming virgin ground when 20m over is a massive worked area. To me that's not virgin ground.
I love hearing success stories like the ones posted, makes me want it more!

BTW nice read and great post
Cheers for all the info guys

kingswood said:
goldierocks said:
Probably most large nuggets everywhere tend to be eluvial, not just in WA. Smaller ones travel hundreds of metres in streams (remembering that WA had high rainfall when they were being moved around, in more deeply incised valleys that have since been filled in to a large degree. But some nuggets are neither, they have actually grown in ferricrete (ironstone) when gold was redistributed by saline groundwater. So things like a lack of roundness can simply reflect that the nugget grew where you see it now. Some economic gold orebodies are actually the laterite/ferricrete itself because of this re-concentration of gold - some gold nuggets actually enclose original "soil" (e,g, iron pisolites). One mine at least mined bauxite and gold together (bauxite is really an aluminium rich soil (Boddington - later primary gold was found at depth). Butt is a good reference.

As you say, gold is not "where you find it" - it occurs in specific places for good geological reasons. Some of it requires a lot of knowledge of geology, but there are simple rules that will increase your chances of success tenfold. One of them is understanding the difference between primary gold in unweathered rock, gold in the weathering zone (lateritic profile in WA), eluvial gold and alluvial gold - and the fact that the desert country you see now is not what it was like when the gold was being moved around. Since it turned to desert there has been little movement of gold beyond what breaking up of rock into fragments ("desert lithosol" - a surface veneer of broken rock fragments) and wind movement has caused. And that involves very little movement.
Would it be fair to say that primary nuggets found in the upper laterite, mostly 2-5g's, would be close to the source due to the halo dispersion pattern?
a couple of things:
(i) the nuggets found in the laterites are usually secondary, not primary. Primary nuggets (that were deposited with quartz veins etc) usually have at least 3% silver (up to more than 50% silver). Secondary nuggets that grow in laterites usually have no detectable silver (e.g. they are 99.7% gold, the 0.3% commonly being copper).
(ii) any nuggets found within the laterite are usually above or only offset horizontally at most tens of metres from the source at depth (but that can be as much as 30 m below, often with white clay lacking gold in the intervening interval). The nuggets actually grow in the iron-rich ferricrete at the top of the laterite (the gold gets dissolved from the primary ore at depth and re-deposited where there is iron near surface - they actually require the iron for the gold to be re-deposited). For those chemically inclined the gold is dissolved in cold, oxygen-rich, highly salty water at depth as a gold chloride ion, and has to be reduced again to metallic gold by encountering iron (oxidation state +2) that reduces it to metallic gold. Nuggets of this type sometimes have ironstone inside them, completely enclosed by gold. Since we know the ironstone formed by weathering, the gold must also have deposited in the weathering zone because it includes ironstone inside it. When the gold dissolves from silver-rich gold at depth, the silver and gold separate from each other and re-deposit separately (sometimes the silver simply stays in the groundwater and washes away), giving the high purity of secondary gold nuggets.

goldierocks said:
kingswood said:
goldierocks said:

a couple of things:
(i) the nuggets found in the laterites are usually secondary, not primary. Primary nuggets (that were deposited with quartz veins etc) usually have at least 3% silver (up to more than 50% silver). Secondary nuggets that grow in laterites usually have no detectable silver (e.g. they are 99.7% gold, the 0.3% commonly being copper).
(ii) any nuggets found within the laterite are usually above or only offset horizontally at most tens of metres from the source at depth (but that can be as much as 30 m below, often with white clay lacking gold in the intervening interval). The nuggets actually grow in the iron-rich ferricrete at the top of the laterite (the gold gets dissolved from the primary ore at depth and re-deposited where there is iron near surface - they actually require the iron for the gold to be re-deposited). For those chemically inclined the gold is dissolved in cold, oxygen-rich, highly salty water at depth as a gold chloride ion, and has to be reduced again to metallic gold by encountering iron (oxidation state +2) that reduces it to metallic gold. Nuggets of this type sometimes have ironstone inside them, completely enclosed by gold. Since we know the ironstone formed by weathering, the gold must also have deposited in the weathering zone because it includes ironstone inside it. When the gold dissolves from silver-rich gold at depth, the silver and gold separate from each other and re-deposit separately (sometimes the silver simply stays in the groundwater and washes away), giving the high purity of secondary gold nuggets.
Thank you for this. This is very helpful to me and confirms that all the reading i have been doing is finally sinking in!

More geo study :)
So Czl is laterite.....Czg apparently is lateritic gravel....Does the same geological process of supergene gold formation apply in the Czg as it does in the actual laterite??....Lots of googling and not much help :(!!!
I guess it could if the bedrock is gold bearing (???)

Latest posts