Gold Beyond The Workings?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Most detect where gold has been worked/found before.

I cant remember reading about successful finds beyond worked ground with detectors. Not saying its not viable but would like to read more about successful finds beyond/between worked ground. The right indicators are there from what i have seen and yes when my PI arrives i will explore beyond worked ground. Just would like to know who has been successful and/or videos/reading on the subject.

Thanks guys.

Al.

The worked areas are where the gold has concentrated, like the bottom of a gully or a gutter. Usually in that situation the gold has come down the side of the hill from either a reef or an alluvial deposit that the gully has cut into. Here the gold can be scattered and hard to trace until it builds up at the bottom, it wasnt cost worthy to dig holes everywhere chasing the odd bit so they left it behind.
In other situations they simply just missed it.

I don't hit worked ground much anymore unless to scrape up bread and butter pocket money stuff or when I need a fix to remember what gold sounds like. :D

My biggest pieces and biggest patches have all come from virgin ground. However, I can clock up miles and weeks without finding anything or the occassional lone nugget or 3.
But the pay off is when you do hit it, it's usually substancial and well worth the time and wear and tear on your boot tread.

As for videoing it, sometimes I do but mostly just so I can review it. If you go posting it, it can soon become worked ground...and not by you :/

as above, I don't venture into gullies that often any more, years ago yes.
This piece was found on flat ground, nearest diggings about 2km away, no faults, and was on it's own.

1559529738_shed_13_011.jpg

hi all im new to this hobby panned up a little nugget/speck the size off the letters in this sentence and also a 6 or so sand size specks panning about 4 buckets worth .love this new adventure, but is it worth even panning in Rushworth?, the local shops don't sell any panning or gold equipment?also in the 8 hours or so panning not one person sighted? around the area , don't get me wrong its never easy to get gold, don't expect you guys to give me your honey hole , I know the basics but would love some help in where is the best area to pan in Rushworth?, not expecting miracles, just some fun, also how are the gold detectors these days? are they any good around heavily mineral deposits like iron ore had a lend of a Garett that's 8 years old , man getting faulse readings. constantly its going off been playing around with the controls nothing helps, are the new detectors better looking at a Garrett All Terrain GOLD for about 1300 bucks there is also a Garrett ALL TERAIN MAX not sure which one to get, any help would be great , or someone to show me the ropes would me nice , happy to shout you a slab of beer if you can hook me up with a area that's good for panning I can go out for the day anyway any help would be great beer

3DDevil said:
Off topic Sry....

AussieDigs, Thats a beautiful looking dog in your avatar pic... What breed is he/she and is he/she yours? :Y:

Mate, hes all mine (when im not sharing him with the missus!). American Staffordshire Bull Terrior. He is awesome. If you could design a dog! Fantastic personality, totally non aggressive (hes the one that gets chewed on!). One of those dogs thats totally no hassle.

gleno01 said:
hi all im new to this hobby panned up a little nugget/speck the size off the letters in this sentence and also a 6 or so sand size specks panning about 4 buckets worth .love this new adventure, but is it worth even panning in Rushworth?, the local shops don't sell any panning or gold equipment?also in the 8 hours or so panning not one person sighted? around the area , don't get me wrong its never easy to get gold, don't expect you guys to give me your honey hole , I know the basics but would love some help in where is the best area to pan in Rushworth?, not expecting miracles, just some fun, also how are the gold detectors these days? are they any good around heavily mineral deposits like iron ore had a lend of a Garett that's 8 years old , man getting faulse readings. constantly its going off been playing around with the controls nothing helps, are the new detectors better looking at a Garrett All Terrain GOLD for about 1300 bucks there is also a Garrett ALL TERAIN MAX not sure which one to get, any help would be great , or someone to show me the ropes would me nice , happy to shout you a slab of beer if you can hook me up with a area that's good for panning I can go out for the day anyway any help would be great beer

Well your off topic a little bit and all of your 4 posts are identical in various threads :( how about introducing yourself in the introduce yourself threads and let others add coment and advice specific to your question, don't take it the wrong way just a heads up to help you get on the right track :Y:

Aussiedigs said:
Most detect where gold has been worked/found before.

I cant remember reading about successful finds beyond worked ground with detectors. Not saying its not viable but would like to read more about successful finds beyond/between worked ground. The right indicators are there from what i have seen and yes when my PI arrives i will explore beyond worked ground. Just would like to know who has been successful and/or videos/reading on the subject.

Thanks guys.

Al.
My one and only patch (so far!!) was found 3 K's from the closest mine or known gold spot....
This article by JP was very helpful: https://www.minelab.com/treasure-talk/so-you-want-to-find-a-patch
Especially this bit " ...through the study of geological maps confirm that the mineralisation continues beyond the known historical nugget bearing zones. Basically, you need to confirm that the rock types present in the known gold mineralisation zones continue into your area of interest".
I studied the maps and thought gold should be there as there was the right kind of geology, although no evidence of any work nor detecting....There was gold :)
I do the same as the above posters, try and find new patches. I always have a couple of spots I go back to if I am not finding anything, just to make myself feel better :)
Personally I would rather detect and dig nothing (or gold!) than to sift thru buckets of trash....

Lots comes out of virgin ground. Most big nuggets don't come out of alluvial but soil (some in the gullies immediately below the source reef - big ones don't travel far in streams, rarely more than a few hundred metres from where they enter the stream as they and soil are washed downhill into streams).

Redfin said:
A 4500 running in Enhance, everything else factory Presets.
Using a 14 x 9 Coiltek.
Was about 350 - 400 down, right on top of the wash.

Thanks mate. Wish I had your rig. Dont think the gold monster is suited for new discoveries. But I found an area that is at the base of a steep gully, with a quartzy reef at the top the old timers cracked but left it. It mustnt have had any gold signs and they probably needed to move on.

Latest posts