Headphones and speakers with shorter leads?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
With the advent of the wireless systems like the pro-sonic, GPZ7000 WM etc I wonder if headphones & speakers might become available with shorter leads? Anyone know of any?

The short answer for me is no. However,

I modified my speaker to put in a small toggle switch, so that I can quickly switch audio off. Like when the GPX starts up it goes through a noisy start up that I find annoying, but more so when it over samples on large rubbish or in the event of interference.

I'm considering doing a 2nd mod to install a chassis 3.5mm socket to replace the lead. In that way I can have several leads of varying lengths depending on my use.

Another example is my SDC and SP01 lead. I hang my SP01 off the DD detector cover, so the distance from the patch lead audio out of the detector and the input to the SP01 is very short. I got 2 x 90deg 1/4" plugs and about 150mm of cable to make up a short lead to do the job. I then have a Deteknix Wireless Tx mounted via Velcro to the front of the handle, which plugs into the output of the SP01. I then have wireless headphones to receive.

I'm considering making a mount off the front of the SDC handle that I can mount a speaker on, with a purpose built lead to the SP01. Reason - I found in warmer weather that the headphones get uncomfortable sweat wise. Doing this will give me the option to quickly go from phones to speaker on the run.

I suppose it depends on your skill with a soldering iron, but it's very easy to DIY.

condor22 said:
The short answer for me is no. However,

I modified my speaker to put in a small toggle switch, so that I can quickly switch audio off. Like when the GPX starts up it goes through a noisy start up that I find annoying, but more so when it over samples on large rubbish or in the event of interference.

I'm considering doing a 2nd mod to install a chassis 3.5mm socket to replace the lead. In that way I can have several leads of varying lengths depending on my use.

Another example is my SDC and SP01 lead. I hang my SP01 off the DD detector cover, so the distance from the patch lead audio out of the detector and the input to the SP01 is very short. I got 2 x 90deg 1/4" plugs and about 150mm of cable to make up a short lead to do the job. I then have a Deteknix Wireless Tx mounted via Velcro to the front of the handle, which plugs into the output of the SP01. I then have wireless headphones to receive.

I'm considering making a mount off the front of the SDC handle that I can mount a speaker on, with a purpose built lead to the SP01. Reason - I found in warmer weather that the headphones get uncomfortable sweat wise. Doing this will give me the option to quickly go from phones to speaker on the run.

I suppose it depends on your skill with a soldering iron, but it's very easy to DIY.

Thank you. I was thinking of shortening a speaker lead & if that worked then do headphones. I must admit it would be at the end of my electronics ability.

Latest posts