Which One to buy Pajero, Prado or Patrol?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Looking at trading in my Crappytiva for one of the above. Criteria is SUV style, Diesel, 4 cylinder, under 20 grand and must have height adjustable drivers seat. I know zero about 4WD's so looking for advice. Have had a bit of a look and looks like there are quite a few decent vehicles around. In my price range, year models are around 2009 on wards. Oh, wont be doing any sort of serious 4w driving, more for just in cases and clearence.

So advice, hints, things to look for or models to steer clear of would be much appreciated.

No, I'm not. Was going to add no brand bashing. Genuinely want dead set answers. Just want to know what to look for{ problems if any} in the selected vehicles And just realized I posted in the wrong section :( '

If a Mod sees this, cn you move it to the camping, 4WD section please?

I'll start: buying a ten year old 4WD my first consideration would be of the 3 choices which one has the best ( or for a buyer the dearest price) resale value. This might be a measure of which brand is better at 10 years??

I am afraid you are going to find that all will have features and faults. (Some of the faults are so common they might be called a feature). A good friend who worked for ford prefers Toyota, but he's owned a Pajero and liked it. One of the things about the Prado is the number of dealers throughout the country and therefore the availability of parts and a workshop if something does go wrong. I have owned all sorts of makes and models over the past 55 years, and I am happy with my Toyota experience including a Prado. You are only going to get a height adjustable driver's seat in the top end of the range, which will demand a higher price. PM me if you want a more detailed story about a Prado. I 'm not in a position to comment about the others.

Feral, its a great question and I will follow with interest.
I see a lot of 4x4 as I am on the road most days, and to be honest, most are driven by women taking the kids to school and wouldnt know a dirt road from Adam and that would apply to most blokes that drive them also.
Bro in law has a Sahara and said it is the best he has owned and he tows a huge van all over Australia. Not suggesting that you will get one for $20K or $80K for that matter just sayin it has to be horses for courses.
Good luck mate.
Mackka

Thanks Mackka,I just remembered that my more knowledgeable friend, when discussing 4WD he is a great fan of the Landcruiser. He owned 100 series before buying a Hi-Lux. For you Feral, you might like to add an 80 Series cruiser to the list, he said it was one of the best I cannot remember all his reasons but it had to do with 4WDriving and modifications etc. Others may be able to contribute.

Probably not your year range but I had a 2005 Pajero and I really enjoyed the car. Had zero trouble in the 2 1/2 years we owned it. We were the second owners. Only sold it because my wife didnt like trying to park it in shopping centres. They do a few off road rallies in them which is a bit of a feather in their cap. I know they are tricked up but still the base is a Pajero. A good friend of mine had a big hand in building one for Geoff Olholm who is/was a Dakar driver who drove in some of the major races in Australia. Sounds a bit like Im selling them doesnt it. :D

I live out western queensland and run a mechanical workshop on our property and we don't fix or pick up a lot of Toyotas but nissans and mitsys all the time fords and holden 4x4 dmax rangers all the time with major fails but if you are looking at an older model any brand its only as good as the way it was looked after

Don't discount looking at the 100 series Landcruiser as well, their in your price range if looking at base models. At the end of the day you have to have someone you trust to check out the vehicle no matter what make and make your decision from there. Asking questions and getting a multitude of opinions isn't going to help you spend your money wisely if anything it might confuse you even more. Of the responses you like maybe send a pm to ask any finer detail questions to help you with your decision.

I work on the roads and see daily what make is more popular. Also see what's on the back of Tow trucks. I know what I want, buuuuuttttt the budget don't allow it 8.( . Of the three, one is slightly ahead of the others. Can tow the 16ft pop top and still be relatively economical around town. Size doesn't bother. The Captiva always feels "Small" to me. Owned big sedans most of my life.

I have had many different 4x4 and experiences with different brands. By far the best I have owned has been a 100 series landcruiser 4.2 lt manual but don't expect to get below 13l/100 km in fuel usage. It was brilliant off road and very comfortable with plenty of torque when needed. My 2005 prado I have now has been brilliant very capable off road and gets around 10/100 km towing is around 15l to 17l/100 km I will also add that my prado has done 330000 km and all that has been done to it is a new air con, starter motor and new suspension. My brother owned a Nissan and sure enough the 3lt engine died as did his replacement. Nissians are known for that. He now has a 2009 Pajero that is giving him electrical problems.

If I was to buy another 4x4 right now I would be looking for a 100 series again as I miss the tail gate heaps. They are very useful and you can open the tail gate all the way when you have a camper or caravan attached.

If you have any other questions pm me :) I have sent you a pm anyway

The ones with the most bells and whistles=the ones most likely to fail in my experience.

Latest posts