Things you've hung onto that might one day be worth something

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
With the events of the past week, the passing of Bob Hawke I gave some thought to how young I was when I could remember him. My memory is of the election race Bob Hawke versus Malcolm Fraser and Labor winning power. Then I remembered the bottle of wine :) R J Hawke 1975 Vintage Cabernet Shiraz, grown from Grenache and Shiraz grapes grown in the Clare-Less Ingham Valley of South Australia. Vintaged by the Stanley Wine Company Pty Ltd.

Might have to get this priced :/

1558428023_img_20190521_182435.jpg
1558428041_img_20190521_182456.jpg
1558428057_img_20190521_182516.jpg
1558428074_img_20190521_182538.jpg

It's ridgy didge Dad got it at a dinner he attended back in 1975. The cork is just hanging in there :eek: :argh: and as you can see it's now looking like vinegar :8 safe to say this will always remain unopened and a unique momento of Bob Hawke :) :Y: :perfect: :beer:

And he continued to look just like that caricature for the rest of his life.

I guess that means he looked bloody old 43 years ago ;)

You would think some Labor stalwart would pay a good price to have it in the collection RM :Y:

RM,
Do think someone eased the cork out of that bottle, enjoyed the red and replaced the contents with water. Red wine does not convert to clear.....
Anyway the bottle and label is a great collectors piece.
Good luck, R.J.H was a great PM who did so much for our country, damn pity Keating shafted him.

Nightjar said:
RM,
Do think someone eased the cork out of that bottle, enjoyed the red and replaced the contents with water. Red wine does not convert to clear.....
Anyway the bottle and label is a great collectors piece.
Good luck, R.J.H was a great PM who did so much for our country, damn pity Keating shafted him.

No easing of the cork I'll guarantee it, sediment is floating and settles at the bottom to be about 40 to 50mm/1&1/2 to 2"inch thick. I'm more of the opinion the label is something like dare I say a promise :lol: what's stated and what's inside, well I do remember Dad saying it was like donkey's and the contents didn't reflect the label.

(edit) I'm no wine officionardo that's another guarantee however it would be interesting to know when Australian grown wine grapes achieved a bench mark quality. From memory in the 70's the choice of beverages were beer, cask wine, spirits and liqueurs. At the many BBQ's Mum and Dad hosted I rarely saw bottles of wine other than champagne being served I was 7 in 1975 so I was more interested in ice-cream, icepoles and lemonade :Y:

Just so happens I've got Craig Lowndes 1992 KTM 250 :Y: it's a weapon or should I say was it's in bits part way through a rebuild. Anything signed if it's rare is worth taking care of on the other hand if there's a heap of them unless there in Mint condition there not worth much.

RM Outback said:
With the events of the past week, the passing of Bob Hawke I gave some thought to how young I was when I could remember him. My memory is of the election race Bob Hawke versus Malcolm Fraser and Labor winning power. Then I remembered the bottle of wine :) R J Hawke 1975 Vintage Cabernet Shiraz, grown from Grenache and Shiraz grapes grown in the Clare-Less Ingham Valley of South Australia. Vintaged by the Stanley Wine Company Pty Ltd.

Might have to get this priced :/

It's ridgy didge Dad got it at a dinner he attended back in 1975. The cork is just hanging in there :eek: :argh: and as you can see it's now looking like vinegar :8 safe to say this will always remain unopened and a unique momento of Bob Hawke :) :Y: :perfect: :beer:

Send photos to these guys for estimate , even put it into an auction with a reserve.

The cork diminishes it a bit.

https://www.sothebysaustralia.com.au/

Lot's of coil's lol...can cook and I am toilet trained :lol: :lol: :lol:

Must be of some value...

Told my friend not long a go that I am sick of being broke... I am going to stand on the corner of the main street....

My friend just laughter at me....

I said why are you laughing at me?

My friend reply was.......

You don't have enough change to give them back :lol: :lol: :lol:

Goody :D

RM Outback....

One would think it might be of some value for sure...

Perhaps do a Google on wine club's as they should be able to tell you the true value of the bottle...

Even tho It would not be drink able....

Should still be of some value...

A long time a go on the TV I seen a person collected all things to do with Bob and some of the stuff was value...

I would be looking into it if I was you....

Goody :)

Latest posts