GPS

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LORD

Jay
Reaction score
Anyone have a hand held GPS for sale, or can reccomend a good one to buy for walking and marking gold finds ect.

I had an eTrex10 but lost it so time for an upgrade

Do you have an I Phone ? If so, download the Handy GPS app onto it, full version is only $7.99 .
Great app, extremely easy to use, and works anywhere, even without mobile reception. :perfect:

https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/handy-gps/id704471940?mt=8

We use it in WA out in the boondocks, saves a lot of money buying a dedicated GPS, plus the batteries that they use ! :D

PS, will also work on other phones, I also have it loaded on an LG phone.

Rick

My phone is a Samsung S8, do they have a GPS that works without mobile reception?
I'll search the app for android and have a look

LORD said:
My phone is a Samsung S8, do they have a GPS that works without mobile reception?
I'll search the app for android and have a look

App works on Android devices, and I believe the S8 has a GPS inside it.

Cheers, Rick

true GPS is satellite based & doesnt use the mobile phone network. A phones GPS should still recieve satellite signals outside mobile range. The mapping App you use needs to have maps loaded in your phone or phones SD card to work properly outside mobile coverage

HoudiniHarry said:
on the iphone the gps fails if you dont have reception

found a real gps works 100% of the time. might be an iphone 7 issue not sure

cheers hh

All GPS enabled phones can receive GPS signals when not in mobile range, that is the whole point of having the GPS on board. Never had an issue with my I Phone 6 or LG. Always out of mobile network where I was using them in WA.

As for not being as accurate Flyrodder, well that is just not true. +/- about 5m is all you get out of a handheld GPS, unless you are hooked into a kinematic GPS network ( survey quality ). If your handheld is WAAS enabled ( only available in North America ), you might get accuracy to about 3m, if you are lucky !

In optimal conditions, the iPhone GPS is also accurate to within a few meters, exactly the same as a handheld GPS unit. All depends on how many satellites are in view at the time. And the caveat to all this is that the overall accuracy of the GPS system is controlled by the US Military.

Cheers, Rick

The reason I spent the extra $ on a pair of dedicated GPS units is,

1. we can send unit to unit text messages to each other.
2. we can see each others location as well as home base.
3. Built in UHF, can talk to each other.
4. rechargeable battery

So, if the other party is rendered unconscious, I can still poll their position without their involvement.

Redfin said:

4. rechargeable battery

So, if the other party is rendered unconscious, I can still poll their position without their involvement.

Go the Garmin Rino. We use a pair of 700's. They work for us.

Cheers

Doug

Redfin said:

4. rechargeable battery

What brand/model are you using Redfin? It all sounds very nifty :Y:

Northeast said:
Redfin said:

4. rechargeable battery

What brand/model are you using Redfin? It all sounds very nifty :Y:
garmin rhino by the sounds

Thank you Rick,
That will do everything I need it too, keep me from getting lost and find where my gold finds are!

Heres a couple of screenshots from the app I use it works better when not in service for the gps location and has some interesting map overlays for it as well

1558351840_35249010-9070-4e25-b647-2727cd9bf36d.jpg

1558351840_cce4f969-f823-46a2-bfbe-5ca65b7af51a.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts