Victorian Half Crown - beach find with nox

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aussiemd

Mike
Reaction score
Well, I had to brag about this one so here it is.
I headed down to a spot on the beach near where I live, where I had picked up around twenty Aussie pre-decimals a couple of months ago. It was on the beach right in front of a shop with a caravan park next to it, so I figured I might find some goldies or a ring, or even another pre-decimal I had missed earlier.

Sure enough, after a few minutes I dug an Aussie threepence which had eluded me before. I thought a bit of sand was missing from right up against the sea-wall so I headed over to it for a look. Straight away I got a big signal bouncing around from the high twenties into the thirties on the 'nox. I dug about five inches down and up came a big tarnished coin, I had no idea what it was until I got home and gave it a clean.

Fair to stay I was very happy with the result, it's pushed the gothic florin back to second place in my favourite silver finds. The date is hard to see but looks like 1882.

1557890884_img_20190513_072611-min.jpg

1557890909_img_20190513_105919.jpg

1557890925_img_20190513_110012.jpg

Very nice! Survived pretty well for that long on the beach. All you need now is a big winter storm.

Dave79 said:
Very nice! Survived pretty well for that long on the beach. All you need now is a big winter storm.

Yeh that would be nice, I've been back to the spot but the sand is too deep along the rest of the sea-wall. I did find a very corroded 1850's penny though so probably some more goodies buried under that sand.