Dry panning for Gemstones?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a Garrett 15" Super Sluice pan which I hear is ideal for dry panning (gold).

The question I have is whether or not it's possible to dry pan for gemstones like Sapphire and Quartz Crystals?. If it is possible, is there any difference in the method used and are there any caveats I should be aware of?

I guess what I'm asking is whether or not the Gemstones are heavy enough to catch in the drop riffles :lol:

Nugget.

It's hard to say because gems are much lighter than gold of course, I wonder about a dry shaker sluice!

Thanks dezman, I though that might be the case. If anyone has any "simple" dry methods that could be used, I'd love to hear about them.

That's a good question, when you look at the specific gravity of gem stones
They only weigh a little more than water of the same volume

Nugget said:
I have a Garrett 15" Super Sluice pan which I hear is ideal for dry panning (gold).

The question I have is whether or not it's possible to dry pan for gemstones like Sapphire and Quartz Crystals?. If it is possible, is there any difference in the method used and are there any caveats I should be aware of?

I guess what I'm asking is whether or not the Gemstones are heavy enough to catch in the drop riffles :lol:

Nugget.

The Super Sluice is by far the best pan for dry panning gold, but, no pans out there are efficient enough to pan the likes of Sapphire, Zircon, Topaz, or garnet which are among the highest SG stones out there. By far the best method is a set of sieves, 1/4" and 1/8" is the best combo.

Dry sieving is very common at all areas without water and almost as efficient as having water. Your quality gems like the ones above have a surface with a "waxy" looking finish, and generally dirt has difficulty adhering to more than a small portion of the stone.

These gems also in most cases have what looks like cleavage chips of glass on various spots of the surface, and these throw a visible glint if light in the sieve after being dry sieved. Your Quartz crystals fall into the same category as the gems and are mostly clean or at least "Visible" when dug out of the dirt.

Hope this helps, :)

Cheers Wal.

The technic with dry sieving for things like sapphires does that differ from the sieving methods shown in your YouTube videos Wal. Will the sapphires and black spinels work to a common place like they do in the wet sieve method?. Also why if the sg is close to water do the fall out in highbanker a and also seem to pan out in water easy enough??

G'day Newbie,

The technique for dry sieving is exactly the same as wet sieving mate. Your heavies will still concentrate towards the centre with a side by side sieving action and then turning the sieve 90 deg and repeating. It takes a bit more practice to get it right than wet sieving.

Most of your gems have a SG of over 4 (4 time heavier than water) with your junk material like quartz, shale, etc being only about half that SG. Never expect the same "centering" in the sieve as you would wet sieving and check the whole bottom of the sieve for gems until you're proficient at it.

Gems Fall out in Hi Bankers, but because the bankers are usually set up to catch Gold (SG 19) with higher water pressures to quickly clear all other material, that high water pressure doesn't efficiently drop out the gems. That's why for gem only you need a more suitable water pressure and catching tray design.

Cheers Wal.

Great advice Wal. Much appreciated opens up a lot of aera in my favourite spot for sapphiring. Will give it a try see how I go. I think we officially change your tittle to the guru. Lol.

Can you still do alright with the super sluice pan for gems with water? Or are sieves essential ?

A Super Sluice will certainly catch all high SG gems in "Water". Only thing is you have to be a little more slower and careful than panning for gold. A set of sieves in water will let you process at least 10 times quicker than any gold pan, and give you a 100% catch rate....even if you're a beginner.

If you're really keen on Gemstones I wouldn't venture out without a set of sieves...and best sieves are 1/4" and 1/8". ;)

Cheers Wal.

Thanx wal
Will be trying my luck with Ss pan , wish I'd off thought to buy sieves earlier!leave in the morning.... Any sieves acceptable from elsewhere than a miner shop.. Ect... ?

Thanks
Guess its bunnings , then another set when I get back for next trip!
High banker is definitely going to be constructed. Not sure if its going to fit on the ducati though! Well see...
Barney

I got my sieves from ebay two for 70 bucks used the bunnings one first trip did the job but good sieves are a must :)

Latest posts