Vehicle mods & upgrades. whats yours?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ded Driver

WA is my backyard
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought this might start an interesting thread ... hopefully not controversial with whatever posts people add.
today I received my 2 brand new tail/brake light assemblies for the battered but trusty old Pajero.
The Brains Trust (Law Makers) here in Oz determined some time ago that if a rear mounted spare tyre even partly obscures either side lights, then a set of tail/brake/indicator lights had to mounted in the bumper (or a place visible below the tyre).
I've been concerned for some time that when towing my trailer (mainly on a freeway!) & it mostly obscures the Pajero's bumper mounted lights, & some f#####s are so close behind the trailer (like literally 1m, & sometimes without the trailer too) & I touch the brake, that they don't immediately see any brake lights (had this happen, screetch, tyre smoke, etc) & nearly run up my arse.
Now the stupid part is, & Mitsubishi aren't alone on this, the manufacturers have seen fit to remove the globe holders & INSTALL A MODIFIED WIRING HARNESS WITH NO WIRES where these globes used to be.!
So I have managed to find a set of tail light assemblies for a non-imported model that have ALL the sockets for ALL the lights.
All I need to do is get underneath & cut into the wiring harness that goes to the bumper & run a couple of extra wires back up inside to the light assemblies, & hey presto, a full set of rear lights again
Currently it only has indicators & reversing lights wired into the body lamps assemblies (indicators are duplicated in the bumper)
1557497569_pajero_tail_lights_2.jpg

Early model Pajero's were like that. But you don't have to fix the issue if you don't want too, as your Paj was compliant at date of Manufacture and that is what counts unless you have a larger spare mounted that gets in the way ... But if towing, fixing your lights is a good idea....
I think they fixed the issue in the NK model onwards.... My NL has both bumper and tail lights Fully working... And I changed my Top brake light to a NS (I think) LED light... Far brighter than the standard NL one.... Bright as xxxxx now.... and with a rear facing Dash-cam and the standard tow ball fitted, it makes a great radiator getter if anyone choses to run into the back of me. Unless a fellow 4x4 gets me... :lol: :p

Remember he who hits you in the rear IS to blame unless he can prove that YOU did something to cause IT... a few good 'taps' on the brakes soon makes them Back off... :p :lol:

LW....

mine is a 1995 NJ. Its a case of manufacturer 'save a buck' with less globes & wiring & still be compliant.
I think its a case where political correctness actually makes it more dangerous. the reason im upgrading the lights is for safety after very nearly being rear-ended on more than a couple of occasions. One guy actually hit my trailer, only lightly luckily as we were crawling in peak hour (I hate going into Perth at any time)
I too always leave a tow ball on my hitch .. it doesn't obscure my number plate
Im also putting LED globes in

Ded Driver said:
mine is a 1995 NJ. Its a case of manufacturer 'save a buck' with less globes & wiring & still be compliant.
I think its a case where political correctness actually makes it more dangerous. the reason im upgrading the lights is for safety after very nearly being rear-ended on more than a couple of occasions. One guy actually hit my trailer, only lightly luckily as we were crawling in peak hour (I hate going into Perth at any time)
I too always leave a tow ball on my hitch .. it doesn't obscure my number plate
Im also putting LED globes in

I just had led tail light globes put in my Pathy and what a difference in brightness-cost $35 at Auto barn-installed.
Also had LED Headlights put in -got from Sunyee for approx $39-00. Work nicely. I think 8000 lumen each.

1996 Toyota Landcruiser , turbo diesel. A good mod for me has been Cross Country 4x4 intercooler and went back to manual locking front hubs with a Markeys conversion kit and got 10 - 15 percent better fuel economy on the annual run to Darwin . But probably the best was the fitting of electric winch when overnight rain caught us out on road to Tibooburra, pulled the car and van out of a tight spot .
1557544032_img_1870.jpg

Im collecting parts for my 3.8 (Mitsubishi '380') conversion into my NL Pajero... Bit by bit I will get there... Only need about $500 worth of more stuff, and put it all together, then the fun begins.... :D

LW....

Ded Driver said:
I thought this might start an interesting thread ... hopefully not controversial with whatever posts people add.
today I received my 2 brand new tail/brake light assemblies for the battered but trusty old Pajero.
The Brains Trust (Law Makers) here in Oz determined some time ago that if a rear mounted spare tyre even partly obscures either side lights, then a set of tail/brake/indicator lights had to mounted in the bumper (or a place visible below the tyre).
I've been concerned for some time that when towing my trailer (mainly on a freeway!) & it mostly obscures the Pajero's bumper mounted lights, & some f#####s are so close behind the trailer (like literally 1m, & sometimes without the trailer too) & I touch the brake, that they don't immediately see any brake lights (had this happen, screetch, tyre smoke, etc) & nearly run up my arse.
Now the stupid part is, & Mitsubishi aren't alone on this, the manufacturers have seen fit to remove the globe holders & INSTALL A MODIFIED WIRING HARNESS WITH NO WIRES where these globes used to be.!
So I have managed to find a set of tail light assemblies for a non-imported model that have ALL the sockets for ALL the lights.
All I need to do is get underneath & cut into the wiring harness that goes to the bumper & run a couple of extra wires back up inside to the light assemblies, & hey presto, a full set of rear lights again
Currently it only has indicators & reversing lights wired into the body lamps assemblies (indicators are duplicated in the bumper)
https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...ges/12692/1557497569_pajero_tail_lights_2.jpg

Nice lights DD, The UK ones have those light and so do the imports, BUT Don't you have a "Break Light" up high in the rear Window As Well coz the ones over here have.

if not let me know and I will order you one. :Y:

LoneWolf said:
Yes they do RR..... On early models they are not real bright, That's why I up-graded mine to a NS LED one...

LW...

Cool

my brother wired in loads of stick on LED's around his tail lights and around the back window, It would be impossible to sit to close to his car without getting 3rd degree burns, LOL :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

RR yes I do have the high level brake light in the window, but I also have very dark infra-red blocking tint that cuts that light down to about 50% .. its dull from the outside .... & I have LED bulbs in it, but I also think a lot of car drivers don't look up there.
Lonewolf, what are the 'parts' you are collecting for a 3.8 conversion??
I have put a 2002 NM 3.5L SOHC motor in my old Paj & it as good as dropped straight in (power steering pump on opp side & bottom radiator hose).
Ive been considering a 3.8 if I keep the old girl a while longer, & ive been told they drop in easy where the late model 3.5L SOHC comes out?

Before you modify your vehicle check the legalities of what you intend to do or you could find yourself with a fine or two . Ive recently been looking into upgrading the headlights / globes in the Patrol and have realized that it is a minefield trying to do it legally

Adding or removing lights to you vehicle can be illegal along with just upgrading the globes. Just replacing a standard globe with a LED , without changing the entire headlight unit to one that complies could see you getting fined if the copper is having a bad day the next time you get pulled in for a RBT.
Generally you can only replace like for like . Any light out put over 2000 lumens requires the vehicle to have a headlight self leveling system and headlight washers.

Here is a link to one of the sites I have been reading.

https://www.racq.com.au/cars-and-dr...inerc034a2d8098d418d83769bd929beb6b4_2_divTab

Balmain Bob said:
Before you modify your vehicle check the legalities of what you intend to do or you could find yourself with a fine or two . Ive recently been looking into upgrading the headlights / globes in the Patrol and have realized that it is a minefield trying to do it legally

Adding or removing lights to you vehicle can be illegal along with just upgrading the globes. Just replacing a standard globe with a LED , without changing the entire headlight unit to one that complies could see you getting fined if the copper is having a bad day the next time you get pulled in for a RBT.
Generally you can only replace like for like . Any light out put over 2000 lumens requires the vehicle to have a headlight self leveling system and headlight washers.

Here is a link to one of the sites I have been reading.

https://www.racq.com.au/cars-and-dr...inerc034a2d8098d418d83769bd929beb6b4_2_divTab

the turtle has sealed beam headlights so i was going to upgrade my lights last week and i was told the same thing by a mech of over 40 years expearance
so for the moment that idea has been shelved even though i already had the HID lights

of course vehicle regulations vary state to state, other than ADR compliance.
here in WA some 'soft' modifications will be overlooked if you don't give a Cop bad attitude in a random stop.
eg, lights aren't a big issue if they are moderate & you are cautious what you use in populated regions. I see a fair few 4WDs with 3 spotlights across the bulbar. This is not ADR compliant as it states 'they must be in pairs', but only time it really becomes an issue is if you get your vehicle stickered & it has to go over the pits. Most of time the Cops ignore it.
Tyres are one thing they do pick on a bit over here ... they must not be outside the guards or extended flexi guards.

My mate got done about 6 mths ago for driving lights on a roof bar. Was told is illegal to have lights other than clearance lights above drivers eye level. Also when in metro or approaching traffic in country you are only allowed 2 lights-low beam on. That is not low beam and those low driving lights on together.

What State was your mate done in Traveller?

BB, you are correct, LED Headlight Bulbs are illegal if not fitted as an option from factory.... The cops love cars fitted with LED headlights, they eat them for breakfast...$$$

DD, They have changed the 'must be in pairs' rule in ALL States after the introduction of LED Light Bars (around 2017) They tried to make a standard rule , but each state took it upon themselves to have different mounting locations... The only thing that is different state by state is Where you can mount your Light Bars and Spotties now...

The Mitsubishi '380' conversion won't work without a NL ECU and engine wiring harness, and that would be a pain to change over to your model. Much better off using the Magna motor for yours.. The motor comes from a 380 sedan 2004-2007.... You take everything off the 380, so you end up with a 'bare block' then bolt all the NL gear onto it, a few mods in oil pick-up, extra bolt holes tapped into block for mounts and sump... Change over water pump ect to NL and that is the short story on what too do... If you want to know more on exactly what to do I can put it in a PM and send it too you... or put it up here if others are interested in it...
It amazes me that a 1997 car can run a 2007 motor with very little mods except changing over a 'few' parts...
Costs a little more than the 'Magna Motor' conversion, but you end up with a motor with sometimes less than 100,000km on it (mine has 107000km)... My costing's are around $1500-$2000 all up, and perfectly legal as you are under the '20%' rule... Some have had issues in NSW at rego time, but that should be sorted out soon..
A lot of Engine re-builders will not touch a NL 3.5 SOHC... they are notorious for blowing a head gasket after re-build or worse, drop a piston... :(
My '380' motor cost me $900 for a rear ended 'write off' car at Auction and I sold the rest for $500... :cool:

LW....

Latest posts