Investing in a cars, machinery.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello every one. Just wondering if there are any car/machines that are worth nothing now but you think will increase in value. I remember people giving away Kombi vans not that long ago. Just had a look at mini mokes and they're value has increased quite quickly recently.

There are many older cars way past their original tag price, for basically what is a wreck.

Mokes are going for as much as 25K, and the more original the better, never see them on the road is a good sign.

Gemini, Datsun's, Cortina's...early anything is worth dollars to the right restorer / collector.

I sold a '62 Fiat Bambino with 'suicide doors' about 3 years ago that, people could not get the cash out fast enough,
with 1 Gumtree Ad it was a battle of dollars within 10min.
Went to Sydney, so that added another $1200 to the price to the new owner.
Fully restored I am under the impression it would be worth 28-35K

No telling what will be the next $ machine these days ;)

A friend has an early Toyota Cressida in mint condition in a shed, plastic still on doors and seats from factory.
Covered in possum shit.
I keep telling him to sell it at auction, but it has sentimental value as it was his Uncles, so it gather poo along with all the other stuff
from his Aunt and Uncle. He is a lovely guy so dont get me wrong, and a bit of a hoarder like me. :)

Years ago I was working for a pest control company and we did termite inspections on a lot of farm properties. It's never ceased to amaze me how many old cars were stored in farm sheds. Many with pidgeon poop all over them but some were in immaculate condition. 1948 Holdens, Chrysler Chargers. Mini Coopers, Valiant Pacers, GHTO Falcons, Monaro's Just blew me away what's out there. A friend of mine still has his late father's Leyland P76 V8

Maybe we could have a section called "What cars have you had"

As to what car will be worth money later. Probably any Ford or Holden. Any car you don't see many of.

But in 20 years time you may have trouble getting fuel for them if all vehicles go electric.

I have a 1974 Clubman, all the metal that had rust that I could get at has been replaced, finally found two doors with no visible signs of rust, I have used products that are supposed to get into seams and joins to prevent further rust, the body needs a bit more preparation and it then ready for paint. The thing I have found is that they cost lots and lots of money. I am able to do all the work except machining (engine) and so far it has cost many thousands. One thing that is starting to appear on a lot of the mini forums and may apply to others is that Timken bearings and some other major bits are now being copied name and all by China and they are failing sometimes after about 1000 kms. There is no way of knowing now if you are getting original or a copy as some of the retailers are being fooled also. Also have 1963 850 mini with original motor, matching numbers, that will possibly be sold as it has taken far longer to do the clubman than I thought, my son purchased a 1968 Cooper S that I had also. If you are going to collect to hopefully make money at some point in the future advice that was given to me was make sure that the model had a short special make run or was like the big Fords, Holdens and Valiants or the Cooper S, The remainder will cost far more to restore than they are worth when finished as they were the common everyday cars, yes they look good and possibly may be a break even on money spent, but unless you are doing the restoration yourself, a lot of people have various ideas of restoration which would amaze what they have done. If you 'find' one of the muscle cars, barn find, get someone who knows the car to look at it as there are now a lot of 'copies'. There are now a lot more cooper S than were ever produced. Be wary.

2lateagain said:
I have a 1974 Clubman, all the metal that had rust that I could get at has been replaced, finally found two doors with no visible signs of rust, I have used products that are supposed to get into seams and joins to prevent further rust, the body needs a bit more preparation and it then ready for paint. The thing I have found is that they cost lots and lots of money. I am able to do all the work except machining (engine) and so far it has cost many thousands. One thing that is starting to appear on a lot of the mini forums and may apply to others is that Timken bearings and some other major bits are now being copied name and all by China and they are failing sometimes after about 1000 kms. There is no way of knowing now if you are getting original or a copy as some of the retailers are being fooled also. Also have 1963 850 mini with original motor, matching numbers, that will possibly be sold as it has taken far longer to do the clubman than I thought, my son purchased a 1968 Cooper S that I had also. If you are going to collect to hopefully make money at some point in the future advice that was given to me was make sure that the model had a short special make run or was like the big Fords, Holdens and Valiants or the Cooper S, The remainder will cost far more to restore than they are worth when finished as they were the common everyday cars, yes they look good and possibly may be a break even on money spent, but unless you are doing the restoration yourself, a lot of people have various ideas of restoration which would amaze what they have done. If you 'find' one of the muscle cars, barn find, get someone who knows the car to look at it as there are now a lot of 'copies'. There are now a lot more cooper S than were ever produced. Be wary.
Brings back memories, probably giving away my age. I did my trade certificate on mini's BMC back then, a longgggg time ago.

Having been a car nut all my life I have enjoyed some very nice cars that i collected and kept. Only have a couple left now and they are for sale as health determines that other things are now more important. Havve sold in last couple years an EH holden with genuine 37000 miles on clock, no rust, was in new car condition, HR sedan with 67000 miles all original in as new condition also never touched in any way,, HK monaro GTS in good condition, repo 1932 ford 2 window coupe with 671 chev power, LH SLR 5000 in imaculate condition. Cannot store cars now as have shifted into small 2 bed house. Currently selling my 1927 T hotrod coupe with V12 mercedes motor. Picture added. Will have last to HR premier sedans, one a gen X2 for sale shortly, one in fair condition but rust free, the other minor rust but needing work.
Any body interested just PM me. Asking $55k neg for hotrod.
1557449429_20190407_170256.jpg

Vb to vg series commodores are commanding stupid prices atm. I think getting the non turbo ba red top motors may be an investment as theyre being turbocharged with big numbers resulting from the modifications. I saw a 90s mira for $7000 the other day as well :lol:

Any Petrol or Diesel powered car may be at risk of a severe price devaluation within the next 5-10 years.
I am basing that on what the media are presenting and the most likely outcome of new political policies been enforced upon us.

I recall a friend who is a serious car enthusiast saying that investing in cars is real risky as you can not accurately predict what may go up in value?
If the availability of Petrol & Diesel is priced out of the market in coming years will that have significant negative effects on prices of popular classic cars?

I don.t think a XY GT Falcon fitted with an electric motor will sound like a classic Aussie Muscle car? :eek:

Swinging & digging said:
Any Petrol or Diesel powered car may be at risk of a severe price devaluation within the next 5-10 years.
I am basing that on what the media are presenting and the most likely outcome of new political policies been enforced upon us.

I recall a friend who is a serious car enthusiast saying that investing in cars is real risky as you can not accurately predict what may go up in value?
If the availability of Petrol & Diesel is priced out of the market in coming years will that have significant negative effects on prices of popular classic cars?

I don.t think a XY GT Falcon fitted with an electric motor will sound like a classic Aussie Muscle car? :eek:

Ha Ha electric mussel car check out what Toyota has in mind for their cars by 2025 :eek: :/ at least the 70 series is here to stay albeit electric within the next decade :8 8.( :mad:
https://www.motoring.com.au/toyota-landcruiser-70-series-replacement-confirmed-118391/

Swinging & digging said:

there wont be any difference the amount of fuel to run motor cars is far less than the amount of coal to produce electricity to charge cars I belive fuel running cars will be here for a lot longer yet

The 70 series and the new LC 300 series will be powered by a twin turbo V6 in next years model range.

Its not much of a muscle car but some of the zooped up Teslas are doing some serious numbers speed wise and 10 second passes on the drag strip

Savage bitter,
Yes totally agree, in was trying to not be political, but i understand the engineering and facts behind the myth that electric cars have any less of a foot print than their Petrol / Diesel ones. Though saying that it is not stopping governments around the world regulating out of the old technology?

I think Australia is much better served with Petrol & Diesel cars for the moment. Perhaps cities like London can adopt electric low range Mr Bean machines, i heard the average daily distance driven by many London based cars is less than 10km. Plus they have superior public transport options?

Try catching the Tube to the Golden Triangle! ]:D :poop:

Swinging & digging said:
Savage bitter,
Yes totally agree, in was trying to not be political, but i understand the engineering and facts behind the myth that electric cars have any less of a foot print than their Petrol / Diesel ones. Though saying that it is not stopping governments around the world regulating out of the old technology?

I think Australia is much better served with Petrol & Diesel cars for the moment. Perhaps cities like London can adopt electric low range Mr Bean machines, i heard the average daily distance driven by many London based cars is less than 10km. Plus they have superior public transport options?

Try catching the Tube to the Golden Triangle! ]:D :poop:
I agree there will be purpose built cars and trucks first to do certain jobs even the milk man in some countries use electric utes for their milk runs even the postie has a electric bike now but I would think fuel based engines will be here for a while yet will more likely see changes to fuel with additives and more ethanol or something like it

Latest posts