Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
G'day to all members,
Thankyou for the privlage of joining the forum.
I would like to introduce myself please,lm Buggy from Tasmania and pleased to be a part of prospecting Australia.
I have done a little prospecting here in Tas and pretty keen to learn more so l think this would be a great place to start.lm a bit unsure on the rules in Tas,lt states that you are not allowed to use mechanical tools here but see people on social media in Tasmania using tromels,highbankers ect,l would appreciate it if someone could point me in the right direction on what l can and can't use.Thank you Buggy.

Gday, welcome to the forum. All those bits of mechanical and powered equipment aren't allowed but there is very little enforcement of recreational prospecting rules in tassie from what I've seen. You also need a prospecting liscence and permission from a company to prospect on any land that has a lease on it. Good luck and be prepared to get well off the beaten track to spots that it's too hard to get a trommel or dredge into if you want to do any good :/

Hi guys
Thanks for the replies to my post l appreciate it.
I worked with forestry for a number of years and do know some good spots years here in Tas and have had some luck with the pan.
I'm thinking about getting a small dredge.l recently seen the power pan on line and was wondering if anyone has used or seen me in operation.lt would be the ideal thing to carry into the bush here but it is a lot to pay if it doesn't work as good as they claim.
Thanks Buggy

Welcome to the forum Buggy. No pun intended, but dredges suck... If we all stay within the laws of each state our hobbies will be tolerated for a lot longer.
I have seen arguments for and against dredging on forums, but having kept native fish over the years (Silver Perch, Murray Cod, Tandanus Catfish, & Yabbies), I honestly can't see how it is compatible with Australian Rivers and our native river fish and plantlife. All that aside, I had a good fishing buddy who nearly disappeared in his waders while fishing once back in the 80's, thanks to a nice big depression left by a dredging enthusiast. Unfortunately Joe Public tends to bunch us prospectors all together, whether or not they do the right thing, or leave their holes unfilled, throw their old batteries and rubbish on the ground, climb over private fences, or churn up a river. Just my two bobs worth.........

Hi guys
Yeah I can see why dredging is illegal and will be giving it a miss and will probably get a simple river sluice.
I'm a keen fishermen myself and wouldn't want to be responsible for any bad effects on the rivers and inhabitants.
Thanks Buggy

Welcome Buggy.

As Jaros advised, you can never go wrong with a quick google for 'prospecting rules tasmania' (Cant post links yet myself)

Keep in mind that hand dredges (non mechanical) are allowed, and can be quite useful for cleaning out crevices - definitely on my to build/buy list.

PS: What freshwater fish do you target down in Tas? We are stuck with only a few natives here, but plenty of carp (They are basically a living, swimming dredge :lol: )

Latest posts