Older style LPG Propane or similar Tank Wanted

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Looking for an older style elongated LPG gas bottle 11kg <13,5kg
Empty not wanted or needed. :Y:

similar to these EXAMPLE shapes of bottle
1557400873_gas-bottle-flo-gas-butane-push-on-type.jpg

1557400755_empty-esso-13kg-butane-gas-bottle.jpg

1557400587_11kg-empty-cooking-lpg-gas-cylinder-filling.jpg

check with a auto sparky ac gas comes in bottles about that size if not helium from kmart also comes in bottles around that size

savage bitter said:
check with a auto sparky ac gas comes in bottles about that size if not helium from kmart also comes in bottles around that size
Thanks Savage
Would the helium tank walls of the be as thick as an LPG tank ?
If it is then it might be what I am after.
:perfect:

Ded Driver said:
Nucopia, drop into a recyclers if you have one around your area. that's what I did & picked up 2 very heavy tanks.
When they are past their use-by age/date they often get sent to steel recycling
thanks mate ..
We have have a couple of places in the local industrial area, I will go there Saturday and see what they have..cheers

Many recyclers dont do gas bottles because of the chance of a half full bottle exploding or leaking.

Strangely Boy Scout recycling here in SA do recover them.

I do have one of those spare but unless you are in Adelaide it might cost you too much.
Hardware stores that 'refill' sometimes have a pile of 'out of test' bottles to dump, you can ask them where those gas bottles go
and for the phone number of the people that take them.

You would get a very wide selection from there.

BE VERY CAREFULL cutting it, we want you to stay around, use common sense. ;)

Thanks Guys this weekend looks like its going to be a busy one scouring dumps metal recyclers and any where else I can think of..
No problem Hornet ..Alidades a bit far although I do love going there ...

the tanks I got had nozzles in the side which had been removed. the trick is to remove the nozzle, top or side, leave for a day or so to let as good as most gas is out, then fill it with water to push any remnants out. leave full for a couple of hours then empty.
EXTREME care needs to be taken when cutting any cylinders. Ive never done it but I understand there are procedures to follow.
and NEVER NEVER cut an old Oxygen bottle as the interior surface becomes highly oxygenated ... :bomb:
CIG here once had the remains of an oxy bottle that a bloke tried to cut open with a gas axe :skull:

Greenhornet_au said:
BE VERY CAREFULL cutting it, we want you to stay around, use common sense. ;)

The above safety message is paramount! Take the valve out (Not an easy task) and fill to overflowing, then use a cutting disc while continuing to add water.

[video=480,360]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DP5l9yYt-g[/video]

Ded Driver said:
I bet I know ..... air tank!? got a couple of larger ones Im soon to turn into air tanks in my shed :D

A good Air tank is one of the cheap compressor tanks.... :Y:

LW....

Why stuff around, just go to the BGS :(

https://www.bunnings.com.au/gasmate-8-5kg-lpg-gas-cylinder_p3230323

and cut it up, this is what the Ozpig started as.

I've cut up a couple of old cylinders, just open the valve for a few days then drill out the valve and fill with water, then empty and start cutting.

The cylinder will still SMELL like it's got gas in it but that's because of the chemicals that are added to the gas to give it it's distinctive odour which permeates the metal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts