GPX 5000 Smart Point Plug

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Just wondering if anyone can help me please. I've just changed an upper shaft on my 5000, and when removing the quick track button plug from the smart point socket, the little rubber boot slid back and revealed the back of the pins. I have to say at this point that I've always found it to be a lousy design that provides bugger all grip to remove it without putting some strain on the wires. There are 3 pins and yet only 2 of them have wires connected to them. There is what looks like another black wire that just seems to hang freely, and yet there doesn't seem to be any wire inside it just the sheathing. Also, the 3rd pin doesn't appear to have ever been tinned/ soldered. I'm no electrical whiz, but I'd really like to know if this is right. Does anybody know if this is correct? Or was the black one once joined to the pin? I wanted to go prospecting this weekend but not sure if it's worth it if it isn't going to quick balance.

Thanks for any help.

1557399915_win_20190509_20_59_42_pro.jpg

1557399933_win_20190509_20_59_47_pro.jpg

The smart point is a socket that does 2 x jobs.
Main job is for the quick track which I'm assuming should only utilise 2 x pins.
The other job is for diagnostics so assuming the 3rd pin is a data cable which doesn't need to be connected on the quick track button lead. Only the Minelab diagnostics cable would need this.
Easy way to check if it's working is put it in tracking & press the button. On release you should hear a beep.
You can still detect without it by either staying in tracking or going into tracking to ground balance & when it's quiet flick back into fixed - will likely need to do this periodically.
Not ideal but workable.

Thanks so much mbasko, now that makes sense. I was thinking that they wouldn't have 3 pins if they weren't going to use them all, but of course they wouldn't necessarily use all of the pins if it was only the socket in the control box that needed to take a 3 pin plug for diagnostics. The more that I look at the back of the 3rd pin in the plug and how unblemished it is, the more I am convinced now that it is redundant.

Thanks again :D

Mbasko is correct, the third pin is not connected.

It is actually quite safe to pull a bit on the ground balance lead.
Minelab use a very special wire for the lead, and it is REALLY tough!

To repair your lead, I'd just put a small dab of superglue on the thread part of the plug and slide the strain relief back on.

Thanks also AuMan,

I'll be out and swinging this weekend now (That's if the GT isn't under water with all this rain!) :cloudy:

Latest posts