Kitting Out A Landcruiser

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bush Chook said:
Some specifics to add to plenty of good advice already offered:

Tyres: AT tread is good, but ensure you get LT (Light Truck) versions. They are heavier and more expensive, but the right tyre will give you a load rating that ensures you can carry / tow what you want, and not get your side walls sliced by rocks and roots. The minimum load rating to aim for is 120 - check the sidewall, it's on there.

On tyres, even the best tyres aren't much good if you don't run them at the right pressures for the situation. While 4WD-ing, drop pressures to between 22-25 psi to allow the tyres to mould around obstacles. In mud, you might be down around 15 psi. In soft sand, even less. The benefit is also your longer track (tyre contact with ground) with lower pressures - hence greater traction.

The analogy is a balloon - how hard is it to pop a fully inflated one? And how about one that is only half full? Don't forget to re-inflate when you hit bitumen once more.

On the subject of re-inflation - invest in a heavy duty 12V pump that does not sag (in flow volume terms) when the tyre pressure gets up into the 30s. There are plenty of reviews of these and other equipment in your on-line 4WD mags. Aim for a flow rate under load, of around 140 litres per minute or greater.

Monitor your tyre pressures. The best way to do that is with a tyre pressure monitoring system. You will have a constant readout staring at you for each tyre for pressure (and temperature if you so wish). Should you decide to tow a van or camper, these can be bought with six or eight sensors and a read-out module to suit.

Comms - Sat-phone, or at least a UHF CB. The latter needs to be 5 watt output. Don't waste your time with 1W.
PLB - worth every cent of the $300 you will spend. If you're stuck on your own in isolated country it could save your life. The marine version is an EPIRB, the ELT is the aviation equivalent, and the Personal Locator Beacon is what you want.

Suspension - get springs, bushes and shocks upgraded or at least checked out by a reputable shop that deals in 4WDs. Ensure they know the weight (constant load) that you will be travelling with, as this ought to inform their advice to you. If they look at you blankly on this point, run away.

Snorkel - rather than the engine air coming from under the mudguard, how about having it sticking up to where the air is generally clean? Make sure that fit is airtight the whole way down to the airbox though - no leaks.

If your chosen 4WD is a common rail diesel, consider a catch-can to intercept the sludge from the EGR valve, rather than having it clog up your intake manifold (and yes that does happen). Catch-can kits are cheap insurance, and beat removing the manifold from the engine to clean it out.

Recovery gear - a winch is good, but you'll need to consider a long handled shovel, straps (round trees), shackles and even a pulley block to go with it. Needless to say, all of these items should be rated - aim for 8,000 or 9,000 lbs on each. Never pull off a tow-ball - they snap and become lethal cannon-balls.

Consider also a limited slip diff, at least for the rear axle. It may mean the difference between driving out and a laborious recovery.

Off-grid, you'll likely also want a solar panel array. Choices are a fixed panel on the roof, or a variety of available folding panels. The advantages of the latter are that it's portable, and that you don't need to park your 4WD in the sun to charge batteries. CAVEAT - being portable means they will walk if someone likes them more than you do - keep your eye on them.

Batteries - get a deep discharge 2nd battery, and of a size that will cater for your consumption for the time you intend to camp without power. Have it connected to your starter battery with a DCDC controller so that your 4WD alternator charges both batteries, and so that the solar panel/s can also act as a charging source for your vehicle.

Edits - typos.

Disclaimer - no I don't have shares in a 4WD accessory business! :D
Bush Cook,

Some brilliant info there.

You should write a "Guide"

regards

John

Diff locks aren't cheap but they have proven to be a 'get out of jail free' card for me a few times. All depends on how likely you are to get your self into jail and how far you're going to have to walk really. :p

to all the above at what cost you spend 60-70 grand on a 4x4 then add all the extras between 50-70 grand and end up driving around in a 140 grand 4x4 and still get into trouble when using it that is what I see out my way expensive 4x4s with every mod on it and no idea what to do

savage bitter said:
to all the above at what cost you spend 60-70 grand on a 4x4 then add all the extras between 50-70 grand and end up driving around in a 140 grand 4x4 and still get into trouble when using it that is what I see out my way expensive 4x4s with every mod on it and no idea what to do

Totally agree with you there sb. I have a winch on my D Max since new 7 years ago and I have not had to use it out bush. Most of the places that we have gone to chasing gold in WA has been accessable in 2wd. In fact our first trip to WA last year was in 2wd only as the D Max had a glitch on the way over and was stuck in 2wd. Drive sensibly and to conditions and you probably won't even need 4wd.

Cheers

Doug

This all the fun of owning a 4x4 isn't it. Doing it up to be able to get you out of trouble even if you never do--Looks good anyway.
All i've done with my winch is unroll it to roll on some Dyneema Rope. :)

Rockhunter62 said:
savage bitter said:

Totally agree with you there sb. I have a winch on my D Max since new 7 years ago and I have not had to use it out bush. Most of the places that we have gone to chasing gold in WA has been accessable in 2wd. In fact our first trip to WA last year was in 2wd only as the D Max had a glitch on the way over and was stuck in 2wd. Drive sensibly and to conditions and you probably won't even need 4wd.

Cheers

Doug
Yep agree. More importantly in a lot of places here is skinny tyres and ground clearance.
Honestly a few of those tricked up things in this thread we'd do tyres on the first day and probably kill the thing in under a week.

madtuna said:
Rockhunter62 said:
savage bitter said:

Cheers

Doug
Yep agree. More importantly in a lot of places here is skinny tyres and ground clearance.
Honestly a few of those tricked up things in this thread we'd do tyres on the first day and probably kill the thing in under a week.
that last 4x4 with huge tyres wouldn't make it up the main road to the house there is a point were you look at some of these 4x4 and say its to over done and is now a look at me city car we have only ever had 4x4s and a winch a big jack and a shovel is all that is needed lift kits big ass tyres and so on not that important.

savage bitter said:
madtuna said:
Rockhunter62 said:
savage bitter said:

Cheers

Doug
that last 4x4 with huge tyres wouldn't make it up the main road to the house there is a point were you look at some of these 4x4 and say its to over done and is now a look at me city car we have only ever had 4x4s and a winch a big jack and a shovel is all that is needed lift kits big ass tyres and so on not that important.

Yep - big difference between a 'Mall Crawler' and a 4WD that goes bush.

Rockhunter62 said:
savage bitter said:

Cheers

Doug

Mine's also in a DMax (note - in, not on). It lives in a box in the back. The last time I used it in the bush was to pull a Land Rover out of a creek, backwards, in the Vic High Country. He missed the bridge with his left wheels, put it onto its side and ended up nosing into the opposite creek-bank. We simultaneously used a second (hand-operated) winch to right him as we pulled it out backwards. No injuries or any real damage (it was a 1970s era Land Rover).

And could not agree more with 'driving to the conditions'. Applies even more so to 4WD-ing.

Redfin said:
I have a 4WD but am not a 4WD enthusiast.
I'd rather drive around a puddle than through it.
I just use it to access areas that are inaccessible in a normal car.

'The greatest victory is that which requires no battle.'

Sun Tzu.

Latest posts