Kitting Out A Landcruiser

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am looking to get a LC70/76 series.

Looking at not too rough terrain.

Looking at 4-6 week trips max of 1000 ks.

Will be travelling mostly by myself.

What would be the recommended list of mods?

Yea I know it is may be as long as a piece of string but need to start somewhere.

Regards

John

aussiefarmer said:

Even if it's only 1km :playful: seriously it really depends on where you plan to go and the condition of the vehicle when you get one. For a 1000km trip it shouldn't take much to get one up to speed if the primary vehicle is in good order.

Recovery gear, water and food storage, extra fuel storage, spare tyres x2 at least to keep yourself out of trouble, 12v air compressor, tyre puncture repair kit, tools, spares, sleeping utilities, rubbish bags, date roll, personal eperb or something similar just in case of emergencies, first aid kit. Theres probably plenty I have missed but hopefully gives you a starting point

Theduke said:
Recovery gear, water and food storage, extra fuel storage, spare tyres x2 at least to keep yourself out of trouble, 12v air compressor, tyre puncture repair kit, tools, spares, sleeping utilities, rubbish bags, date roll, personal eperb or something similar just in case of emergencies, first aid kit. Theres probably plenty I have missed but hopefully gives you a starting point
The Duke has got it pretty well covered. However it does depend a bit on the type of country you will be covering. If in the victorian high country ( near where I am) in late autumn then a good set of mud tyres for grip and a UHF for calling up oncoming vehicles. Also a small collection of dry tinder and wood as some days its bloody near impposible to find a bit of dry firewood for warmth. also make sure the antifreeze/ boil and cooling system are in the proper concentration & good order. Its reasonably common for overnight temps to get down into the minus 10c region which wll split radiators in short order.

JJB
LC70/76 series GLX wagon 2007 <2018 = 38k<75k
180L tanks 3,500KG Breaked Tow Capacity
GXL INCLUDES
Available in Single-Cab | Double-Cab | Troop Carrier | Wagon
4.5L V8 turbo diesel engine with a 5-speed manual transmission
16" alloy wheels (16" steel wheels on Troop Carrier)
130L fuel tank (180L fuel tank on Troop Carrier)
Cruise Control
Air conditioning
Power windows
Anti-lock Braking System (ABS)
Vehicle Stability Control with Hill-start Assist Control
Differential Locks
and Snorkel
Added Extras
Bull Bar
Driving lights
Tow bar
Heavy duty shocks
UHF
Duel battery system
Compressor -allows you to deflate/inflate tires for driving in mud or sand
If you also can get one with a Winch -recovery gear -Roof rack basket Bomus ! your doing well.

Some other things to think about would be a Navigation system and Rear storage draws with fridge slide
Puncture repair kit ,Gerry cans for fuel and water,first aid kit, fire extinguisher ..

If your planning 4 to 6 week trips away out bush free camping, you will also need to think about what type of camp set up your going to use.
Because you could go the Basic rout with a Swag a camp chair and some cooking gear etc or even look at putting on a roof top tent..
If you want a bit more comfort, than maybe a camper trailer or Caravan.. mate its up to you really ,what you want and what can afford.

JJB100 said:
I am looking to get a LC70/76 series.

Looking at not too rough terrain.

Looking at 4-6 week trips max of 1000 ks.

Will be travelling mostly by myself.

What would be the recommended list of mods?

Yea I know it is may be as long as a piece of string but need to start somewhere.

Regards

John

If it's second hand a thorough mechanical inspection would be beneficial.
Basic tools. Spanner and socket set, screwdrivers

I keep a parts number list in both my vehicles. Every time I have to buy say eg rotor button, I simply right the part number down after looking it up.
Have the vin #, and engine number as well on it.
I've found it usefull to have when chasing parts down again, and saves popping the bonnet every time at repco etc.
Even the transfer, diff oil classes.
If your trecking off to a new unknown place to you.
Google and print off wreckers, spares, workshops of that area. Saves some time stress on the side of the road if you can simply ring and rattle off the correct part number needed.
Some spares companys will even express deliver for a reasonable fee.
Even a taxi company will pick up the part and deliver to you if in an accessible spot. Cheaper than a tow.
Get a good workshop manual, and always keep it in your vehicle.
Might be just a JEEP thing but :lol:

Thanks all.

Some really useful items and tips - beer!

Last year looked for 4*4 motor home but they all seemed to me that they could be a bit fragile.

Off to look for a LC, fully loaded hopefully.

regards

John

I have found a cargo barrier very useful, as you can stack behind it and not be killed by dangerous stuff surging forward. Bash plates beneath, bullbars, 40 cm raise and heavy suspension, communications, AT tyres. Depends on where you will use it - the Mt Margaret track or Lygon st in Carlton, mountains or desert. You may not intend to use it in extreme conditions, but often what catches you is a few hundred metres of extreme in a few hundred km of near 2x4 track. For many people they can almost use it as driven from the showroom.

Some specifics to add to plenty of good advice already offered:

Tyres: AT tread is good, but ensure you get LT (Light Truck) versions. They are heavier and more expensive, but the right tyre will give you a load rating that ensures you can carry / tow what you want, and not get your side walls sliced by rocks and roots. The minimum load rating to aim for is 120 - check the sidewall, it's on there.

On tyres, even the best tyres aren't much good if you don't run them at the right pressures for the situation. While 4WD-ing, drop pressures to between 22-25 psi to allow the tyres to mould around obstacles. In mud, you might be down around 15 psi. In soft sand, even less. The benefit is also your longer track (tyre contact with ground) with lower pressures - hence greater traction.

The analogy is a balloon - how hard is it to pop a fully inflated one? And how about one that is only half full? Don't forget to re-inflate when you hit bitumen once more.

On the subject of re-inflation - invest in a heavy duty 12V pump that does not sag (in flow volume terms) when the tyre pressure gets up into the 30s. There are plenty of reviews of these and other equipment in your on-line 4WD mags. Aim for a flow rate under load, of around 140 litres per minute or greater.

Monitor your tyre pressures. The best way to do that is with a tyre pressure monitoring system. You will have a constant readout staring at you for each tyre for pressure (and temperature if you so wish). Should you decide to tow a van or camper, these can be bought with six or eight sensors and a read-out module to suit.

Comms - Sat-phone, or at least a UHF CB. The latter needs to be 5 watt output. Don't waste your time with 1W.
PLB - worth every cent of the $300 you will spend. If you're stuck on your own in isolated country it could save your life. The marine version is an EPIRB, the ELT is the aviation equivalent, and the Personal Locator Beacon is what you want.

Suspension - get springs, bushes and shocks upgraded or at least checked out by a reputable shop that deals in 4WDs. Ensure they know the weight (constant load) that you will be travelling with, as this ought to inform their advice to you. If they look at you blankly on this point, run away.

Snorkel - rather than the engine air coming from under the mudguard, how about having it sticking up to where the air is generally clean? Make sure that fit is airtight the whole way down to the airbox though - no leaks.

If your chosen 4WD is a common rail diesel, consider a catch-can to intercept the sludge from the EGR valve, rather than having it clog up your intake manifold (and yes that does happen). Catch-can kits are cheap insurance, and beat removing the manifold from the engine to clean it out.

Recovery gear - a winch is good, but you'll need to consider a long handled shovel, straps (round trees), shackles and even a pulley block to go with it. Needless to say, all of these items should be rated - aim for 8,000 or 9,000 lbs on each. Never pull off a tow-ball - they snap and become lethal cannon-balls.

Consider also a limited slip diff, at least for the rear axle. It may mean the difference between driving out and a laborious recovery.

Off-grid, you'll likely also want a solar panel array. Choices are a fixed panel on the roof, or a variety of available folding panels. The advantages of the latter are that it's portable, and that you don't need to park your 4WD in the sun to charge batteries. CAVEAT - being portable means they will walk if someone likes them more than you do - keep your eye on them.

Batteries - get a deep discharge 2nd battery, and of a size that will cater for your consumption for the time you intend to camp without power. Have it connected to your starter battery with a DCDC controller so that your 4WD alternator charges both batteries, and so that the solar panel/s can also act as a charging source for your vehicle.

Edits - typos.

Disclaimer - no I don't have shares in a 4WD accessory business! :D

First think I would do is fix the tracking issue they all suffer from.
Then an auto conversion.

And the winner is :Y: :Y: :Y:

1557191747_77e97a90b54df9c349c048f4f976b4bb.jpg