Just starting.....everything!

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi, I'm 73 and just started retirement! Very little super so had to keep working! LOL. I mentioned to my wife, who's younger than me, that we should buy a couple of detectors and look for some gold as a hobby. My wife is Chinese so, at the mention of 'Gold', a pair of eyes lighted up and I got to buy a couple of second hand detectors. LOL. After a bit of research I opted for Minelabs. I managed to get a GPX 5000 with two extra batteries, 4 extra coils and other bits and pieces for a good price. A Gold Monster came up for sale too, once again with extra coils and lithium batteries. I chose the Gold Monster for my wife as it seems much less complicated than the 5000 and also much lighter however, she still thought it a little heavy, so I grabbed hold of a light weight harness with a bungee strap. All good!

I thought a little trip to a local beach to try out the 5000 would be in order...wife still works... I found it works very well and was getting a 'strike' every few yards! In 2 hours my tally was, 20 pieces of wire of various gauges and lengths, one cola can at 2 and a half feet, boy, the noise that one made as I got closer was amazing! One 5 cent piece at 2 feet, 6 bottle tops, 2 bobby pins at least 18 inches deep and lastly a piece of aluminium foil. I'll keep the 5 cent as my first treasure, might even frame it LOL.

We picked up a new little caravan last week, an 18 foot Adria, which is also new for us and found negotiating Melbourne's peak hour traffic bringing it home to Gippsland quite easy, so I don't think I'll have much trouble in learning the ropes. We're planning a 'shake down cruise' to Talbot, in Victoria's golden triangle in a couple of weeks, just for a few days, I believe the football ground there has a few sites for vans at a reasonable cost. We are self contained in the 'van so will be looking for suitable, 'free camping' sites while we're there.

Wow! I'm being a bit long winded! Sorry about that! I found your forum yesterday and it seems full of great gals and guys, forums can be nightmares so I'm glad I've stumbled across you....I hope in the future you'll feel the same way about us.

Cheers,
Ying-go

G'day Ying-go welcome to PA :Y: sure is a great forum. Sounds like you've got some great gear and the new camper to enjoy it all the more. Keep busy with questions and you'll have 10 up in no time then you'll have the PM function active and the members section which will allow you to see the organised meet ups :Y:.

Hi RM Outback,

I've cheated and paid my $20 so, in a couple of days I'll have PM capabilities etc. Thanks for your greeting.

Hi Jaros,

Huh! 73 is just a number I feel young at heart and the BP pill keeps it going! LOL. Hell we're only here once, lots of things to do and see and seeking the yellow stuff is one of them. Yes the Adria seems to fit the bill and the Territory Tug seems to pull it well. We got sick of looking at 2nd hand vans and the layouts didn't suit my wife, she drew up a sketch plan of what she thought was good, a couple of searches later there it was, the little Adria Altea, and, on special! Wins all round.

Thanks BigWave,

I've printed out directions to the Karri Track camping grounds. Safe camping definitely a bonus. Some old reports of the Talbot football ground aren't good. especially in the football season.

Cheers.

Ying-go
It sounds like you have your self kitted out with a good tow vehicle caravan and detectors, now all you need to do is the research and get out amongst it mate..
Welcome to the forum.. :pickshovel:

Ying go,
I am going to Bealiba, north of Talbot Monday 13th to Thursday 16th.
You can share an organised meet up and join me in the field if you these dates suit you.
As soon as you get your post count up look in the members meet up section.
Or tell me yeah yeah! here and I will get you the info.
It will be bush without services but good flat caravan access.
Cheers wilko

Hi Nucopia,

Well the proof of the pudding..... as they say, but we'll give it a good shot. Thank you very much for your welcome. I'll start my research by reading past posts, if I can take it in...and keep it there, that'll be a good start.

Cheers

Hello tuner,

Thanks mate, Luck, a bit of hard work and a few laughs I reckon. I've found an ideal pick, under the chook shed! I've just fitted a new handle slapped on a bit of paint and it looks the goods. LOL.

Hi Stevewilko,

Well what a welcome, thanks so much for the invite. It could be just a little early for us, I have to consider my wife's days off and also my daughter's end of uni placement, (nursing degree), without confirmation I believe this to be the following week and daughter wants to break the 'van in also. If I find out that it's possible I'll certainly give you a 'yeah, yeah'. I learn more from hands on advice than books. If not this time I hope there will be other opportunities. The camping ground seems perfect.

Cheers.

Latest posts