Can You Help Me With An ID?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This small clear stone was found in a Sapphire wash sourced at sapphire Queensland with it was a number of green sapphires
Thank you for your help
Cheers
1556928287_p1060587.jpg
1556928311_p1060584-001.jpg

Hi Wes,

You will probably need to take a more focussed closer photo of your clear stone. The experts on here will tell you to do a few tests as well before they will give you an answer. My guess would be either topaz or clear saphire.

Cheers

Doug

Rockhunter62 said:
Hi Wes,

You will probably need to take a more focussed closer photo of your clear stone. The experts on here will tell you to do a few tests as well before they will give you an answer. My guess would be either topaz or clear saphire.

Cheers

Doug
Thanks mate, Being a complete novice I have no idea of how to do any tests, I don't have any sort of equipment or chemicals to do any testing so what would you suggest
cheers

Try to scratch it with one of the sapphire pieces, you dont need to force it either just light weight. If it leaves a scratch mark then try scratching it with quartz. Good place to start

Theduke said:
Try to scratch it with one of the sapphire pieces, you dont need to force it either just light weight. If it leaves a scratch mark then try scratching it with quartz. Good place to start
Thanks Mate, just tried to scratch it with one of my sapphires NO scratch marks ?

wes2143 said:
Theduke said:
Thanks Mate, just tried to scratch it with one of my sapphires NO scratch marks ?
That would suggest it is corundum (sapphire). Corundum has a high specific gravity (approx. 4.0) which is fairly diagnostic as well - do a search on this site for how to determine specific gravity

goldierocks said:
wes2143 said:
Theduke said:
That would suggest it is corundum (sapphire). Corundum has a high specific gravity (approx. 4.0) which is fairly diagnostic as well - do a search on this site for how to determine specific gravity
Thanks, mate , I have just ordered a set of scales so as I can do a specific gravity test. let you know the results next week.

wes2143 said:
goldierocks said:
wes2143 said:
Theduke said:
Thanks, mate , I have just ordered a set of scales so as I can do a specific gravity test. let you know the results next week.
Hi Guys just completed a specific gravity test on this stone and it came up an sg of 4 so must be a Sapphire ? Thanks all

Latest posts